CVA Optima vs Accura V2

USMC22

WKR
I’ve heard the TC Encore FX is difficult to clean and the Pro Hunter has issues with blowback.

Are the CVA’s any good? Considering an Accura V2 for the Bergara barrel.

This would be my first muzzleloader and I’m in the north east so I’m not taking shots over 300 yards, and that’s probably a stretch.

PAhunter58

Lil-Rokslider
I have a CVA Accura Mountain rifle. Absolutely love it. Its light and does kick a bunch on the range after 10-15 shots. Never have to swab at all on the range between shots. But carrying it around the mountain is a breeze at under 7 lbs with scope. Really easy to clean, especially if your using BH209 powder. Switched from pellets to BH209 and never going back. I've even gotten comfortable out to 300 yards using Barnes 290 TEZ sabots. I've found out through allot of shooting, the heavier the bullet, the better ballistics.

OXN939

WKR
I’ve heard the TC Encore FX is difficult to clean and the Pro Hunter has issues with blowback.

Are the CVA’s any good? Considering an Accura V2 for the Bergara barrel.

This would be my first muzzleloader and I’m in the north east so I’m not taking shots over 300 yards, and that’s probably a stretch.

Either of the CVAs you mention is a good first rifle. As with everything, there is a learning curve associated with shooting blackpowder, which is better to experience while shooting a rifle that doesn't cost a thousand dollars. If you want to use BH209 as a propellant, make sure to purchase the breech plug they make specifically for that purpose, which is about $20. The only difference is the diameter of the flash hole, but BH209 will not ignite reliably without it.

Mostly, get out there to get familiar with your setup, and budget twice the time you normally would for a range day and cleaning. It's a blast.

PAhunter58

Lil-Rokslider
Plus 1 on buying the breech plug OXN939 mentions. Magnum primers too. The Bergara barrel adds to the appeal of a CVA. Really accurate rifle.

2blade

WKR
My CVA Mtn rifle can almost produce a 5 holes touching group at 100 yds. Most accurate muzzy I have ever shot.

BrentH

WKR
My CVA Mtn rifle can almost produce a 5 holes touching group at 100 yds. Most accurate muzzy I have ever shot.
Is the Mountain Rifle drilled/tapped for a front sight? I like the looks of the stock on the MR better, but I’m in WA, so no scopes.

blackdawg

WKR
MR is not drilled and tapped. My friend has that rifle setup for Colorado, shoots lights out with Williams peep. I have 2 CVA setups, I have NW edition accura setup with 209 primers and caps. Easy adjustments and setup for traveling to states with varying open sight, bullet and ignition system rules, shoots very accurate. I am using Thor bullets in the NW Accura V2 and swapping between Pyrodex loose and BH 209, depending upon the breech plug. My second setup is dead nuts awesome. Accura V2 LR with 2-7 Leupold, Blackhorn 209, Hornady SST Sabot loads. Pure death on anything under 200. I jacked with a few lower end muzzleloaders over the years and would recommend spending the extra to get one that shoots good and is EASY to clean with removable breech plug or it will gather dust like my Thompson Center Renegade does waiting for that one long weekend hunt each year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2blade

WKR
Like blackdawg said, the mtn rifle is not drilled and tapped for a front sight.

Looney

FNG
I’ve had the V2 for a couple of years now. It just flat out shoots. It’s light enough to be fun to carry and tracks as well as anything I’ve ever held.

ryan80

FNG
Resurecting this thread. I plan on getting either the Optima V2 or paying another $100 for the Accura V2. I had planned on using Blackhorn 209 and CCI 209 primers. Is the barrel the only real difference? Do I need the other breach plug for this setup? Thanks!

I have an optima v2 and so far have been happy with it. Where i hunt we are allowed to use optics on our muzzleloaders so that gun with a fixed 4 weaver has worked well for me over the years. I have never used buckhorn 209 but have heard good things. I typically have just used pellets with the hornady SST sabot bullets and it has been accurate and seems to hit hard.

Resurecting this thread. I plan on getting either the Optima V2 or paying another $100 for the Accura V2. I had planned on using Blackhorn 209 and CCI 209 primers. Is the barrel the only real difference? Do I need the other breach plug for this setup? Thanks!

If you want to run BH209 with either you will need the BH209 specific breechplug. I think the Bergara barrel and better stock are worth the extra $100 IMO.

Are you hunting or possibly will hunt in an area that requires open sights?

ryan80

FNG
Thank u for the replies so far. I am not sure if I will be hunting in an area requiring sights, but i grew up with open sights and actually like the idea of sticking with open sights on this rifle for the time being.

I have hunted with cva optima the last few years in CO and NM. Switched back and forth between 3x9 scope and Williams open sights. Use BH209 w/ breech plug and CCI primers, been very happy with it. Some friends use accura and they love theirs. Prob can’t go wrong with either.

Thank u for the replies so far. I am not sure if I will be hunting in an area requiring sights, but i grew up with open sights and actually like the idea of sticking with open sights on this rifle for the time being.

Just make sure you find a model that is drilled and tapped at the muzzle! CVA made it hard on all of us by doing this on some but not all. Here's what I have heard or seen so far--

1. Accura V2-- all rifles are prepped for front sight, had 2 and seen dozens others
2. Accura MR-- some are, some aren't-- MINE already was so I installed a peep/globe combo and it was a PITA.
3. Accura PR-- NONE are prepped, have only seen a few
4. Accura v2 LONG RANGE-- about half and half as verified by CVA- Ive seen several in store (Scheels) that were tapped and heard that many ARE NOT.

Best way to guarantee is go with the V2 (no real reason not too) and get it ordered with irons... then you can get a scope mount whenever you want but you know dang well you will have holes for irons!

ty_in_ND

FNG
For my $.02, I've used the Optima V2 on a few hunts over a few years now and I've been happy with how it performs. I use BH209 (with the appropriate breach plug) and Federal 209A primers. With .44 mag 240 grain XTP bullets, Hornady sabots, and 110 grains of powder, I get sub MOA groups all day long (with a powered scope... The groups open up a touch with open sights, but that happens even with modern centerfire rifles for me). And this combo does a fine job taking down northern whitetails.

But, I would be inclined to agree with others that the Accura is worth the extra money. I just happened to find an Optima (SS barrel black stock) at a steal-of-a-deal. If you can't swing the extra $$, don't regret "settling" for an Optima.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

I had same question a few years ago and decided the extra $100 or so is worth it for the (?) better barrel. No reference for the Optima but i love my Accura. That said, the Optima did feel better in my hands....
Shooting Federal BOR loc 350 grain bullets, 100 gr or BHorn 209 pow, CCI magnum primers with rear peep sight, front globe sight. Comfortable shooting out to 200 yards. Shots in field have thankfully been 44 yds, 60 yds, and 40 yards.

Have been shooting a v2 for years and have nothing bad to say about it. Very solid gun. Can’t go wrong with a CVA