CVA Optima with Williams Peep Not Enough Adjustment?

Any one figure out the peep issue, other than filing or shimming? I just ordered a hopefully shorter front sight. The new one is a willams .405 tall not sure what stock cva is. I can’t believe there isn’t a taller ramp out there!

OXN939

WKR
Any one figure out the peep issue, other than filing or shimming? I just ordered a hopefully shorter front sight. The new one is a willams .405 tall not sure what stock cva is. I can’t believe there isn’t a taller ramp out there!

How did this work out? About to swap the stock irons out on my Optima for the globe sight gig.

Rear: EABCO Peeprib

Front: .404 Globe Sight in a .100" Marble Sight Ramp for .875" barrel

Reticle: Lee Shaver Sight Card

Anyone got experience for whether these dimensions will allow enough adjustment to avoid shimming? Pain that there doesn't appear to be any one location that will allow you tog et all the right items.

Last edited:

Bluesky

FNG
Ok, I'm frustrated like everyone else. Filing the front sight... how much am I filing off and from where? Right now I still have stock sights.

The easiest fix for me was shimming the rear Williams sight with a refrigerator magnet. Flexible so it matched the barrel and was High enough to solve my problem. Just have to cut one to fit and then drill holes in the right place. I used the original screws and they were long enough.

Bluesky

FNG
So we're talking millimeters of height? Is it trial and error, add a shim, shoot, if im still hitting low add another shim? I have the stock rear sight. Should I keep the sight maxed out full forward on the ramp and shim from there or should I center the sight on the ramp and then shim up from there?

Just trying to save time and money at the range.

In my experience, the sight was still fairly maxed out forward/ up. But you want to be able to back it down where you feel comfortable it is stable. If you use aluminum soda can shims I would start with 2 and go shoot but take a 3rd one to add just in case. One thin refrig magnet is all I needed.

Easiest fix is get a shorter front sight, but in the covid era getting parts like that can be difficult.

gburk

WKR
Bumping an old thread here … What’s the consensus on a workable peep sight solution for a CVA optima 2 at this point?
At the risk of jinxing anything my son should draw a CO muzzy cow tag and I’m looking to upgrade from the tru glo that’s on it now. Last year we had to resort to duct tape to keep the front glow stick from falling out… we discovered there was a problem when I actually happened to notice it on the forest floor when we stopped for a minute to rest. This was miles from the vehicle. I think the hunt deserves better so am open to any suggestions y’all have. Peeprib, Williams, Lyman… where’s it at these days…. Thanks.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Bumping an old thread here … What’s the consensus on a workable peep sight solution for a CVA optima 2 at this point?
At the risk of jinxing anything my son should draw a CO muzzy cow tag and I’m looking to upgrade from the tru glo that’s on it now. Last year we had to resort to duct tape to keep the front glow stick from falling out… we discovered there was a problem when I actually happened to notice it on the forest floor when we stopped for a minute to rest. This was miles from the vehicle. I think the hunt deserves better so am open to any suggestions y’all have. Peeprib, Williams, Lyman… where’s it at these days…. Thanks.
I mainly use mine for pronghorn thus not dark woods, but with that caveat I am so much happier with a front globe and rear peep mounted as far back as possible. My optima is a lyman globe and eabco peep rib. But now Williams offers a direct fit globe that I’d try first.

Dunky

WKR
Classified Approved

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Thanks for the reply. What about this set from Williams, I guess it includes the globe you’re referring to? https://shop.williamsgunsight.com/ecommerce/p/wgrs--western-precision-muzzleloading-set-676584
I haven’t had need for a scope yet so I might try that set rather than peeprib rear
I would get that front sight either alone or as part of that set. IF you want your rear peep as far back as possible and also ability to put a scope on/off use the eabco peeprib in the rear instead of the williams sight.

gburk

WKR
I noticed Williams references a shorter front sight with this set for the optima v2.
https://shop.williamsgunsight.com/ecommerce/p/wgrscva-optima-set-with-fire-sight-front-070271 I could not find that sight number on the Williams web site but did at midway. 70749 Installed it and it is quite a bit shorter, I have not shot yet to confirm but I think it will work as I was right at my elevation max on the previous blade and peep combo
From Williams customer support:
Thank you for your interest in our products.
You are better off ordering the items individually.
The rear of that set is #070154 and the front you want is #070749 (select .445” height). The website unfortunately will only recognize a six digit part #. Adding zeros to the front of a part # with fewer numbers will get you there.
I will link the parts below.
https://shop.williamsgunsight.com/ecommerce/p/wgrscva-round-070154
https://shop.williamsgunsight.com/ecommerce/p/ramp--1-piece-firesight-070105

gburk

WKR
Is there a significant quality improvement going from TruGlo to Williams? Thinking that I probably will go with a glo-fiber front sight to handle low light situations, rather than the globe. But I don't want to end up right where I started.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Is there a significant quality improvement going from TruGlo to Williams? Thinking that I probably will go with a glo-fiber front sight to handle low light situations, rather than the globe. But I don't want to end up right where I started.
Depends on what you're trying to do. A front globe with a fine crosshair covers up very little of the target at 100+yds where as a fiber optic might cover up alot of the target. Its a trade off of accuracy vs visibility.

gburk

WKR
Depends on what you're trying to do. A front globe with a fine crosshair covers up very little of the target at 100+yds where as a fiber optic might cover up alot of the target. Its a trade off of accuracy vs visibility.
Right, good point. realistically I’m not doing any long range shooting past 100 so I’ve decided on a fiber optic sight.
So for fiber optics is Williams significantly better than tru glo? Maybe I ought to just try to have tru glo replace my failed and duct taped front site.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Last year I couldn't get my Accura V2 to even get on target. Someone mentioned CVA putting the wrong front sights on some guns so I called them. I asked the guy on the phone about that and he said they were all the same size. Then he said "give me your address and I'll send you a new one". I was thinking "if they're all the same size, why on earth would you send me a new one that's still going to be a problem"?

The next week a package showed up with a front sight MUCH shorter than the one I had. The one I had that came on the rifle was 3/4" tall, the new one is less than 1/2".