CVA Optima

Aces11

Lil-Rokslider
I have a CVA Optima that is around 9 years old. It’s been about that long since I shot it. I took it out the other day thinking I may try and get a muzzleloader tag next year. I thought I had cleaned it good before I had put it away. The muzzle breech had some corrosion. I decided to just order a new one being they are pretty cheap. I tried to take the firing pin out, but I can’t get the bushing unscrewed. I also ordered a new firing pin and bushing, along with the tool to take the bushing out. I sprayed a small amount of PB blast on the bushing hoping it would help loosen it once the tool arrived. The tool arrived today and the bushing won’t turn at all. Any suggestions on getting it out? I thought about sticking a bolt extractor in the firing pin hole to see if that would work, but hate to mess it up and it still be stuck.

fey

FNG
Could try some heat like any stuck threads, just don't get it too hot and take your stock off first. A little tighten before loosening can sometimes help work it free as well. Just careful not to break the removal tool as those little teeth are probably the weakest part of this whole thing.

FrontierGander

Lil-Rokslider
just keep soaking it. With really old nasty muzzleloaders, I usually soak them daily for 2 weeks before attempted to remove a drum or breech plug. Next would be to use an easy out.

Wapiti1

WKR
Another trick is to use a hammer to tap the back of the tool as you apply torque.

I thought those just used a flat blade screwdriver to remove the firing pin bushing? Were older ones different?

Jeremy