CVA Paramount Pro Review ***Updated 3/7/21***

cobrad

FNG
I've been shooting an old Knight MK-85 for a number of years now and it's been a really great rifle. I've got access to some excellent elk hunting from the CO ranch I manage, but there's getting to be so many hunters there during rifle season that I'm going to start applying regularly for muzzleloader tags. After watching an exceptional bull while bear hunting last week I thought I should start looking into muzzys with longer range potential. After some intensive research the past week I see a Paramount Pro in my future.

ENCORE

WKR
I have also heard that. I work nights at a local sporting goods store and have heard a couple people complaining about theirs. It would be a bit before I bought one but this thread makes me want one.
The absolute first thing I'd do, is to change out the OEM ignition system. It either works, or it doesn't and the spring exchange doesn't help some rifles at all. They used an already "proven to leak" system. Some guys are wanting to throw the rifle in the trash, except they have to much money invested.

I'd order the Arrowhead replacement system before I ever fired the rifle. And without question, there would be no muzzle brake other than the LR Customs brake on my rifle. Guys are having all kinds of trouble with that CVA brake. The addition of the brake has opened up excellent groups to completely worthless groups. The addition of a quality proven brake WILL NOT do that.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
The absolute first thing I'd do, is to change out the OEM ignition system. It either works, or it doesn't and the spring exchange doesn't help some rifles at all. They used an already "proven to leak" system. Some guys are wanting to throw the rifle in the trash, except they have to much money invested.

I'd order the Arrowhead replacement system before I ever fired the rifle. And without question, there would be no muzzle brake other than the LR Customs brake on my rifle. Guys are having all kinds of trouble with that CVA brake. The addition of the brake has opened up excellent groups to completely worthless groups. The addition of a quality proven brake WILL NOT do that.

Thanks for letting us know the specifics on what you’ve heard. I was just getting ready to ask when I saw this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
realunlucky

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member

Your a huge proponent for full on custom muzzleloading rifles I get it.
This is a factory rifle that does exactly what cva claimed. I took it out of the box screwed on the CVA muzzle break and went to shooting really good groups i don't know what else ANYONE would want at 300 yards. I not a big muzzleloader guy but I did upgrade the breech plug my knight UL do to blow back. I'm impressed with the vera flame system compared to 209, i don't see what the rush to "upgrade" would be.

What 300 yard factory rifle are you recommending everyone get?

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

ENCORE

WKR
Your a huge proponent for full on custom muzzleloading rifles I get it.
This is a factory rifle that does exactly what cva claimed. I took it out of the box screwed on the CVA muzzle break and went to shooting really good groups i don't know what else ANYONE would want at 300 yards. I not a big muzzleloader guy but I did upgrade the breech plug my knight UL do to blow back. I'm impressed with the vera flame system compared to 209, i don't see what the rush to "upgrade" would be.

What 300 yard factory rifle are you recommending everyone get?

I'm a proponent for quality and perfectly functioning rifles, which don't have to be custom.

I've been shooting and hunting with muzzleloaders since 1973 and I've seen the good, the bad and the ugly.
There's so much information available to the manufacturers, why do they continue to use and/or design inferior systems?
The Veriflame ignition is not new just to the Paramount. Searching on most muzzleloader sites will shed light on its past performance and leaking adaptors.
There isn't a modern inline muzzleloader manufactured today that shouldn't have or doesn't need modifications made because of lacking engineering design. What amazes me most, is the manufacturers know how to fix these issues, yet do absolutely nothing, then complain because someone calls their baby ugly. You mentioned Knight, which is another example of not fixing a long term and existing problem.

Frankly, there isn't a modern inline rife made today that isn't capable of 300yds. Make a trip to the NMLRA grounds in Friendship, IN and watch what a production rifle can do at 500yds. Knight holds many records at the NMLRA, including at least 3 if not 4 National Championships.

Knight, TC, CVA, Remington and Ultimate Firearms Inc. all produce less than 300yd moa rifles.

For myself and wanting a rifle that I don't have to constantly work on, fix, or complain about, I'll go with the modifications I know up front will forever stop issues, vs hoping I can get by.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I'm a proponent for quality and perfectly functioning rifles, which don't have to be custom.

I've been shooting and hunting with muzzleloaders since 1973 and I've seen the good, the bad and the ugly.
There's so much information available to the manufacturers, why do they continue to use and/or design inferior systems?
The Veriflame ignition is not new just to the Paramount. Searching on most muzzleloader sites will shed light on its past performance and leaking adaptors.
There isn't a modern inline muzzleloader manufactured today that shouldn't have or doesn't need modifications made because of lacking engineering design. What amazes me most, is the manufacturers know how to fix these issues, yet do absolutely nothing, then complain because someone calls their baby ugly. You mentioned Knight, which is another example of not fixing a long term and existing problem.

Frankly, there isn't a modern inline rife made today that isn't capable of 300yds. Make a trip to the NMLRA grounds in Friendship, IN and watch what a production rifle can do at 500yds. Knight holds many records at the NMLRA, including at least 3 if not 4 National Championships.

Knight, TC, CVA, Remington and Ultimate Firearms Inc. all produce less than 300yd moa rifles.

For myself and wanting a rifle that I don't have to constantly work on, fix, or complain about, I'll go with the modifications I know up front will forever stop issues, vs hoping I can get by.
I wouldn’t dispute what you’re saying, but there’s a whole pile of guys out there from 25 to 40 years old, that really don’t have a lot of time/money to tinker and adjust to get everything down to the Nats eyelash. This muzzleloader, like many out-of-the-box rifles, does the job. Can someone like you take it and make it do better? Of course. But don’t take the air out of this thread because it doesn’t live up to your specs for a muzzleloader. We appreciate your input, and like I said I agree with most of what you say. Just don’t ignore the fact there’s a lot of guys out there just need to go buy a gun that shoots well. I have two of them coming to hunt with me next week. Found out they drew the tag in the middle August, had to buy two muzzleloaders quickly, get sighted in, and go hunting. That’s the reality for a lot of people compared to guys like you & me that really like to play with this stuff.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I've been shooting an old Knight MK-85 for a number of years now and it's been a really great rifle. I've got access to some excellent elk hunting from the CO ranch I manage, but there's getting to be so many hunters there during rifle season that I'm going to start applying regularly for muzzleloader tags. After watching an exceptional bull while bear hunting last week I thought I should start looking into muzzys with longer range potential. After some intensive research the past week I see a Paramount Pro in my future.
Let us know what you decide, and if we can help.

Jd5575

FNG
I posted in the summer that I purchased the Paramount Pro through Arrowhead rifles. the rifle came with their ignition system. I have just returned from a successful Kansas early season muzzleloader hunt. I made a 330 yard quartering away shot and the gun and bullet met all of my expectations.

I'm new to muzzlebrakes, after reading a lot of the posts I decided to purchase a Brake through LR customs. I'm not sure why, but the brake seems to throw my bullet 7 to 9" to the left at 200 yards. Any suggestions or tips???

ENCORE

WKR
I posted in the summer that I purchased the Paramount Pro through Arrowhead rifles. the rifle came with their ignition system. I have just returned from a successful Kansas early season muzzleloader hunt. I made a 330 yard quartering away shot and the gun and bullet met all of my expectations.

I'm new to muzzlebrakes, after reading a lot of the posts I decided to purchase a Brake through LR customs. I'm not sure why, but the brake seems to throw my bullet 7 to 9" to the left at 200 yards. Any suggestions or tips???
Contact LR Customs

OP
realunlucky

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I did get the Paramount Pro out in the field for Utah's muzzle loader season. It was hot and deer weren't on thier feet for very long and didn't move very far. I honestly say my effort was good but the deer numbers were low.
Shot a coyote at 250 on day three so i knew the rifle was still going to shoot.
609325026a73388468afc879dfff5532.jpg

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I did get the Paramount Pro out in the field for Utah's muzzle loader season. It was hot and deer weren't on thier feet for very long and didn't move very far. I honestly say my effort was good but the deer numbers were low.
Shot a coyote at 250 on day three so i knew the rifle was still going to shoot.
609325026a73388468afc879dfff5532.jpg

First blood for the Paramount! Good shooting Sam

Fitzwho

WKR
I'll have my original Paramount out in a couple weeks chasing mule deer around the sand hills of SE New Mexico. It is almost stupid how well these things shoot. The only thing I don't like about the 2019 model is the stock. Weighed mine at 3.5lbs. Been seriously looking at picking up a new stock to save a pound or so. Its a Rem700 SA footprint, so it should be hard. Decisions, decisions.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I'll have my original Paramount out in a couple weeks chasing mule deer around the sand hills of SE New Mexico. It is almost stupid how well these things shoot. The only thing I don't like about the 2019 model is the stock. Weighed mine at 3.5lbs. Been seriously looking at picking up a new stock to save a pound or so. Its a Rem700 SA footprint, so it should be hard. Decisions, decisions.
hmm? I they added a pound to the stocks? Wonder why? Recoil reduction? I think the gun I'm testing in this thread is spec'ed at 6.25lbs,

Fitzwho

WKR
Not sure. I took the stock off and weighed it. My Paramount has the Bergara B14 HMR style stock with the adjustable cheek piece. My Paramount alone with this stock weighs in just about 10lbs. It kicks, but its not terrible since you can't stay on the gun and shoot repeatedly. Shoulder gets a break in between shots.

Not looking to make it ultralight by any means, just make it a little nicer to carry around.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Not sure. I took the stock off and weighed it. My Paramount has the Bergara B14 HMR style stock with the adjustable cheek piece. My Paramount alone with this stock weighs in just about 10lbs. It kicks, but its not terrible since you can't stay on the gun and shoot repeatedly. Shoulder gets a break in between shots.

Not looking to make it ultralight by any means, just make it a little nicer to carry around.
I'm a dope. I didn't see you were talking Paramount on this. I thought I was on my Wolf thread. Sorry, ignore me.

OP
realunlucky

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think the new Paramount Pro is a pound and a half lighter than the standard Paramount. If i remember I'll try and wiegh the bare stock this weekend.

Edited to add photo. This stock has been bedded.
d578005c1ef91bd687f7e69e7f25b0e5.jpg

Last edited:
OP
realunlucky

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've been meaning to get my trip report out, life has been crazy busy as i finally got back on at work and trying to get some extra hours after being laid off for awhile.

Fitzwho

WKR
I would appreciate the weight of the new stock. I would bet money that it weighs right around 32 ounces. Maybe a little more since your stock is bedded, but not much. That has got to be where they shed all the weight. New stock, threaded barrel, and an adjustable trigger is basically the Pro version in a nutshell.

I’m thinking an Iota Kremlin or Stocky’s carbon fiber M50.

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lannyw