CVA Paramount Pro Review ***Updated 3/7/21***

OP
realunlucky

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well it's been a crazy year for my family for a multitude of reasons so lots of stuff that typically are priorities shifted around. Basically I just didn't scout this deer unit this summer but as i reasoned with myself I've hunted it multiple times. Well and as everyone might have already guessed that turned out to be a huge mistake.
It was hot and dry, only 3 out of the 60 cattle ponds l checked had any water in them at all. After looking around on the evening before the opener we quickly found ourselves in spot F, G, and H, bleek bleek outlook for sure. Opening morning found us glassing and moving (yep road hunting) we knew deer would be bedding shortly after sun rise and needed to maximize that short window. We had already repositioned a couple times before I caught a glimpse of a good buck over over the hill and out of sight. I ran up the hill but it was a mix of benches with dark timber fingering out into aspen pockets.
Dejected I headed for where my Dad was suppose to pick me up. Of course when he moved around the mountain he gained a bit of it elevation and watched the buck wonder in the opposite direction then i went for quite awhile.

Last edited:
OP
realunlucky

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I glassed that stinking hillside for the next four morning along with a couple evenings and never laying eyes on another living creature moving up there. A few evenings we hit a couple other spots but deer movement was sloooow with daytime temperature high 80's and low 90's even the does stayed timbered up until last light.

Day 5 all I knew is I couldn't stomach looking at the "hillside" again. This unit has so many pockets of amazing habitat that just don't hold deer this year for whatever reason (no water is #1 guess) is why scouting is so very important as conditions very so much year to year. We headed to a big long meadow where there was just a trickle of water in the bottom of the cattle pond. Downside was it was visible from the main road but it was about 350/400 yards to the trees and in the dark most deer held on the far edge while hunters drove by. I knew the Paramount could shoot to the trees if any bucks lolly gaged very long getting back to bed.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

OP
realunlucky

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well my luck held just as the binoculars could make out shapes I made out a few deer way at the far end. As we waited for enough daylight to sort what's was what, a few deer rush past us and into the trees behind us. As we stared across the nothingness two deer started to push each other around--Game on!
I quickly determined one was a small 4 point and the other a 3. After not seeing a buck that didn't have milk on its lips all week I knew i must capitalize this situation. I got in the prone, dialed the scope and just started to squeeze. Crash! All the sudden the bucks were back at each spinning in wide circles kicking up a ton of dust.

OP
realunlucky

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
As the bucks jostled for position I lost track of which was the 4 point. There was a slight dog leg to the clearing and the bucks went just far enough to get behind a thin screen of aspen trees. I stood up to position myself a bit to the left and find an open shooting lane. I no sooner stood up and the does i forgot were behind us started blowing and ran straight towards the two bucks. The gig was over without a single shot fired. My Dad just let out a laugh and said that's what you get for being greedy and trying to kill the biggest one. Dang i was starting to feel pressure that we might not see another buck with only a single day left.

OP
realunlucky

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
The next morning came and went with only seeing a handful of deer. Honestly, it was a rough hunt with very few deer seen. As we turn down the road to pack up camp my dad spotted a couple of forky bucks.

7237585c08297adde3d813b42f21703a.jpg

First deer I've ever shot with a muzzleloader. The Powerbelt 280 performed exactly as one would expect and the small buck was DRT.

OP
realunlucky

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm going to put this Paramount pro back to work in December for some whitetails.

Fitzwho

WKR
I ended up killing my first public land muley with my Paramount this past Monday. A mid-size 3x4 plus a brow time on one side. I missed a giant on Saturday at ~30yds. No fault of the CVA’s, and all of my fault due to target panic after looking at a buck that large for the first time.

joestrow

WKR
Has anyone tried the Anarchy Outdoors muzzle brake with the ELR bullets? I picked up the Paramount Pro and I’ve been waiting what feels like forever for CVA to release their new and improved brake. Getting tired of waiting...

VAMountainHunter

Lil-Rokslider
I 3D printed some clear tips for tubes I got off Amazon. Regular tubes it's easy to spill the 209 loading. So this fits better and zero spills. The tubes are way cheaper from Amazon. Rubber caps are snug but won't fall off.

Attachments

• 20201122_175303.jpg
    20201122_175303.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 65
  • 20201122_175322.jpg
    20201122_175322.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 63
  • 20201122_183241.jpg
    20201122_183241.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 62

Jeff O

FNG
Has anyone tried the Anarchy Outdoors muzzle brake with the ELR bullets? I picked up the Paramount Pro and I’ve been waiting what feels like forever for CVA to release their new and improved brake. Getting tired of waiting...
I have one on my paramount pro colorado and I love it,it pushes 95% of the smoke to the side.

Hey Realunlucky...how is the recoil with the break on it? I should draw a real good muzzle-loader elk tag in Colorado and i'm looking for a good set up. I'm wondering if I need a high dollar gun like this since I have to use open sights.

OP
realunlucky

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've been using the 45 cal. and with the muzzle break I've had my 12 year old daughter shoot it. She says it's about the same as her 7/08.
For me i think a flatter shooting rifle is only going to benefit you especially with open sights since you can't adjust for distance. I'd think if your eyesight is good, you could get out pass 250 yards if you use the low hold method. If your current muzzleloader already shoots into your comfort range i don't see where upgrading would be of much benefit.

I've been using the 45 cal. and with the muzzle break I've had my 12 year old daughter shoot it. She says it's about the same as her 7/08.
For me i think a flatter shooting rifle is only going to benefit you especially with open sights since you can't adjust for distance. I'd think if your eyesight is good, you could get out pass 250 yards if you use the low hold method. If your current muzzleloader already shoots into your comfort range i don't see where upgrading would be of much benefit.

Thank you!! Very good point on the flatter shooting!! I have a smokeless CVA Apex that is 45 cal but I wouldn't be able to use it. I need to get a 50cal.

Spark352

Lil-Rokslider
I 3D printed some clear tips for tubes I got off Amazon. Regular tubes it's easy to spill the 209 loading. So this fits better and zero spills. The tubes are way cheaper from Amazon. Rubber caps are snug but won't fall off.
Feel like sharing the 3D file and a link to where you found the tubes on Amazon that fit the caps? Would be greatly appreciated

VAMountainHunter

Lil-Rokslider

I cut the closed round end off the tubes. Glue the 3D printed piece on the end. Regular plastic cement is fine. I use PLA transparent filament. I use supports on the inside of the tube when printing them. They print petty fast. I do 10 on a plate at a time. The 10mm black rubber caps fit on it tightly. The adapter fits into the .45 and no spillage. The bigger tubes out there you see for ML are too big for the .45. Especially on 2nd shot or reload when you're rushing. Tap the tube s little and all of it goes in. Using clear filament you can see the powder is empty.

127181255_4397519880267959_1938912547028499513_n.jpg

Last edited:

Jeff O

FNG
Here's a short video of shooting the turkey gong at 400. Paramount is zero'd for 100 and I'm shooting 9.6 moa holding slightly for wind.

Edit fat fingered 8.6 was supposed to be 9.6 sorry for confusion.
Thank you realunlucky for your posts, they have answered alot of my questions about my paramount that I havnt had time to check myself.