CVA Paramount Pro Review ***Updated 3/7/21***

Summitdog

Lil-Rokslider

I cut the closed round end off the tubes. Glue the 3D printed piece on the end. Regular plastic cement is fine. I use PLA transparent filament. I use supports on the inside of the tube when printing them. They print petty fast. I do 10 on a plate at a time. The 10mm black rubber caps fit on it tightly. The adapter fits into the .45 and no spillage. The bigger tubes out there you see for ML are too big for the .45. Especially on 2nd shot or reload when you're rushing. Tap the tube s little and all of it goes in. Using clear filament you can see the powder is empty.

View attachment 264052
That is a very elegant device. Does it dispense well? I am assuming you have to hold it to the side, pull the cap, tilt and pour without the need to hold onto a funnel.

Scotty

Bjorn16

FNG
Set everything up pulled the bolt and breech plug so i could look though the barrel and line the target up. Made a couple quick windage and evaluation adjustments with the scope to hopefully get it on paper.
3684e12408b76f037b3fffe784f760a6.jpg

First shot was high on the paper, next three shots were touching. Very impressed with the accuracy of this rifle.
f0e3a347ccaa1b7bff320baa0e4416cd.jpg
They shoot that's for sure!

Bjorn16

FNG
Damn, I wanted to put a rem700 muzzleloader together but this one is intriguing, let us know how it does when you stretch it out
My Remington Ultimate shoots sub MOA to 600 yards and .5 MOA to 500 yards using Parker bullets. The last 3 shot group I shot with it was 1" at 300 yards. Both are great guns and can really stretch it but that Remington can be something special with the right setup.

Clayniss

FNG
Has anyone tried the Anarchy Outdoors muzzle brake with the ELR bullets? I picked up the Paramount Pro and I’ve been waiting what feels like forever for CVA to release their new and improved brake. Getting tired of waiting...
I have. Mine has shot terrible with the Anarchy brake on. Sub-MOA with the brake off. Some times doesn't even hit the target at 100 yards with the Anarchy brake on. Target was a standard range target 24"x48" so yeah I wouldn't waste my time with the Anarchy brake but every gun is different I guess. I'm still looking at muzzle brake options for mine.
Has anyone tried the Anarchy Outdoors muzzle brake with the ELR bullets? I picked up the Paramount Pro and I’ve been waiting what feels like forever for CVA to release their new and improved brake. Getting tired of waiting...

Trencher

FNG
Also shooting the para.50 with the anarchy brake. 110 grains bh 209 getting lots of flyers just random 4 -7” inches at 200 yards. Remove brake getting a little hammered by recoil but much more consistent groups about 2.5 inches at 200 yrd. Moving back to 250 yrds and getting groups of about 4” not real happy. I have been shooting elrs out of it. I ordered some fury’s and found the 501 to fit decently but would need to buy the sizing die to run them as they don’t seem to be consistent enough, some slide in nice others not even close. ?? I’m thinking of elrs and backing down the powder to see if I can’t get better long range accuracy. I’m concerned about doing that due to decreased energy and long range wounded game. I bought this gun to extend my lethal range. Hope something works out soon.

Trencher

FNG
My issue with the elr bullet, diam of .497 or smaller and barrel of .501 the bullet literally falls through the barrel when dirty. How can that combo be accurate, for me it is up to about 200 yards, But that’s not good enough. I’m wondering if a Parker or Pittman in a sabot is a better direction.?

ENCORE

WKR
First, do yourselves a favor and buy a sizing die. You can put it off all you want but, before its over you'll end up with one anyway or, you'll give up. You can buy the sizer and hand tool directly from Arrowhead.

Once you get the sizer, then start sizing Arrowhead 300gr XLD's. Size them to load at around 10#, maybe a little more in your CLEAN BARREL.
Use a wool wad on top of that BH.

Trencher

FNG
I hear ya encore, I went elrs and cleaning after every shot pita but it cleaned up my groups, touching at 100,200 sub 2” and 300 sub 4” group I can live with that. I’ll keep at it hopefully it keeps it up. 105 bh by weight energy should be fine to 300 and maybe more.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
First, do yourselves a favor and buy a sizing die. You can put it off all you want but, before its over you'll end up with one anyway or, you'll give up. You can buy the sizer and hand tool directly from Arrowhead.

Agreed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trencher

FNG
Great evening here in wi tonight just had to throw some bullets, 105 weight bh, elr 330 at 300 yards. Under a two inch 3 shot group. I’m starting not to hate this gun so much. lol

.45 cal. Paramount Pro @ 200 yards - 280 gr. ELR. - 105 gr. BH209. w/ Anarchy muzzle break. I have had no issues with the muzzle break. I know every firearm is different but muzzleloaders are no different than a centerfire rifle so remember It takes a ton of small changes to find out what works best with how your firearm is equipped. I started with 110 gr. of BH209 and just like you guys, I had issues with consistency at 100 & 200 yards. I took the muzzle break off, turned my shoulder to hamburger, and although it was better, I was still unhappy with the consistency. I then put the brake back on and backed the BH209 down to 105 gr. and have had almost NO outlier shots and have been very happy with the performance. I haven't had the chance yet to shoot 300, 400, 500+ yet, but wanted to make sure I had plenty of time to get comfortable with my setup. I'll continue to post pictures of the progress if you guys want to see some more! unnamed.jpg.

treillw

WKR
Looks like an awesome gun. I'm looking for something for Montana Weapons restricted areas and came across this. Only problem I see is that the powerbelt bullets don't appear to be legal in MT. Any ideas of an elk bullet/accuracy for states where an all lead projectile is required?

Thanks!

OP
realunlucky

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Looks like an awesome gun. I'm looking for something for Montana Weapons restricted areas and came across this. Only problem I see is that the powerbelt bullets don't appear to be legal in MT. Any ideas of an elk bullet/accuracy for states where an all lead projectile is required?

Thanks!
I haven't tried anything but the ELR bullets since they shot so well for me and have been lucky they are legal everywhere I've hunted with it.
What lead bullets are you thinking? Perhaps I can source a handful and see how they group for you

treillw

WKR
I haven't tried anything but the ELR bullets since they shot so well for me and have been lucky they are legal everywhere I've hunted with it.
What lead bullets are you thinking? Perhaps I can source a handful and see how they group for you
That would be very nice of you. I'll have to do some more digging to see what bullet would be good.

I took an elk with a parker productions hydracon in CO and was happy with the results. It mushroomed to roughly the size of a nickle or a little bigger. Got caught in the hide on the far side of the animal and ballooned out the hide. Would be nice to have an exit hole, but I guess that might be a little tough for a projectile that size of a nickle. It doesn't appear that Parker makes them in 45 caliber though.

Looking around on the power belt website it seems that they have some all lead offerings that might be similar/close enough to get good accuracy.

I'll do some more research to come up with something.

Thanks!

treillw

WKR
I'll add some frustration with the MT regulations. To the best of my knowledge, the purpose of the weapons restrictions is to keep you from shooting somebody's house/somebody in more populated areas.

I don't see how projectile makeup (lead vs copper) is going to influence that. You can't shoot any kind of bullet at somebody's house with acceptable results.

You're allowed to use whatever bullet you want screaming out of a S&W 460 at almost rifle velocities, while a rifle is much more controllable than a handgun and less likely to hit something you're not trying to hit.

Furthermore, I could take a 50 BMG to the exact place I intend to hunt and use it for target practice every day of the week.

Just seems devoid logic to me!

Pattray

FNG
.45 cal. Paramount Pro @ 200 yards - 280 gr. ELR. - 105 gr. BH209. w/ Anarchy muzzle break. I have had no issues with the muzzle break. I know every firearm is different but muzzleloaders are no different than a centerfire rifle so remember It takes a ton of small changes to find out what works best with how your firearm is equipped. I started with 110 gr. of BH209 and just like you guys, I had issues with consistency at 100 & 200 yards. I took the muzzle break off, turned my shoulder to hamburger, and although it was better, I was still unhappy with the consistency. I then put the brake back on and backed the BH209 down to 105 gr. and have had almost NO outlier shots and have been very happy with the performance. I haven't had the chance yet to shoot 300, 400, 500+ yet, but wanted to make sure I had plenty of time to get comfortable with my setup. I'll continue to post pictures of the progress if you guys want to see some more! View attachment 314114.
Nice shooting