Cva thread pitch

Jmort1754

WKR
Anyone know the optima breach plug thread pitch. My threads got boogered up. Was going to fix it.

Cva doesn't know already called them

How did your threads get boogered, and how does cva not know. If it’s just the plug, throw it away and get a new plug.

OP
J

Jmort1754

WKR
How did your threads get boogered, and how does cva not know. If it’s just the plug, throw it away and get a new plug.
It's not the plug. It's the gun. I'm not sure it's my loaner gun. I've put a new plug doesn't work.

Guy at Cva said he didn't. Know.

Which part is boogered. Guess I’m trying to figure out how they got jacked up.

Take your plug out and go to the hardware store. Most places should have a gauge for threads as well as the size. Could even measure the plug and figure out the diameter.

Novashooter

Lil-Rokslider
If you have the plug, you have the answer already. Pitch is nothing but threads per distance. If its standard, measure 1", and count the threads. If you have a caliper, metric is easy, just measure from peak to peak of a thread, and your pitch is that distance in millimeter.

More than likely you aren't going to fix this with something local or whatever you were hoping for. A quick search shows CVA hand thread plugs have a history of problems with the front sealing lip which is very thin. If that lip is damaged in any way the gases from firing cut into the threads of the barrel and ruin it. Even if you had slightly dirty threads and didn't get it fully seated it could have caused this problem.

If it is possible, I would go to a normal hex head breech plug myself, however, you may need to send this gun back to be fixed. There's no good you can do to repair flame cut threads.

Rich M

WKR
If you have the plug, you have the answer already. Pitch is nothing but threads per distance. If its standard, measure 1", and count the threads. If you have a caliper, metric is easy, just measure from peak to peak of a thread, and your pitch is that distance in millimeter.

More than likely you aren't going to fix this with something local or whatever you were hoping for. A quick search shows CVA hand thread plugs have a history of problems with the front sealing lip which is very thin. If that lip is damaged in any way the gases from firing cut into the threads of the barrel and ruin it. Even if you had slightly dirty threads and didn't get it fully seated it could have caused this problem.

If it is possible, I would go to a normal hex head breech plug myself, however, you may need to send this gun back to be fixed. There's no good you can do to repair flame cut threads.

Should still thread in if the threads are cut. Only if they get bent over should that cause trouble.

Can OP get the right sized tap and straighten out the threads? He'd be threading it down 1/2 way so not likely to get cockeyed or anything.

I use ML grease on my threads. They little lip on the breech plug is very thin.

Novashooter

Lil-Rokslider
Should still thread in if the threads are cut. Only if they get bent over should that cause trouble.

Can OP get the right sized tap and straighten out the threads? He'd be threading it down 1/2 way so not likely to get cockeyed or anything.

I use ML grease on my threads. They little lip on the breech plug is very thin.
If they are flame cut, they are melted. I can't say if that is the problem without looking at it, but there appears to be a bunch of people with the same exact problem. Plug threads in half way, sealing lip is damaged. Threads were flame cut from the failed seal.

Rebar_Guy

FNG
Send it back to CVA and let their gunsmiths work on it. I sent my Accura back to them a few months ago because of some surface rust and pitting and they sent me a brand new gun. Excellent customer service.