CVA Wolf stock rear sight

I'm helping my young Nephew out by setting up his New CVA Wolf 50 cal muzzleloader. I was a little concerned with the placement of the rear sight as it is mounted a good ways down the barrel, but in-between, there are 4 scope mounting holes. I'm thinking it might improve accuracy to use one of those scope mounting holes instead to remount the rear fiber optic sights or is that even possible? That way you have a longer sight picture which I think would be a positive thing as it feels like the rear sight is halfway down the barrel. My Nephew doesn't want to mount a scope at least not for now but that would be my choice but it's not my gun.

Themic86

Lil-Rokslider

what about something like this and if you want a scope later you still have that option without loosing the peep.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Roughwater

what about something like this and if you want a scope later you still have that option without loosing the peep.

Looks like the perfect option to me, only problem, this Saturday starts ML season. Not sure I could order one, have it here, on the gun and sighted in by Saturday. I'm pretty much stuck with using what I have on hand for now anyway.

I am mostly wondering right now if remounting the rear sight closer to the rear of the gun would enhance accuracy. That said it's really a two part question as I'm not sure if it is possible to remount it using one or more of the drilled scope holes? If someone could answer those two question it would really be helpful.

Themic86

Lil-Rokslider
Not sure about the holes working farther back for a cva, but if you move the sight back I don’t see it helping accuracy. The slot and post would not line up as well as the closer the back is to you the bigger the gap you are trying to center the front post into. Might work if you have a v groove in the back as you can settle the front in the V better.

OP
Roughwater
Not sure about the holes working farther back for a cva, but if you move the sight back I don’t see it helping accuracy. The slot and post would not line up as well as the closer the back is to you the bigger the gap you are trying to center the front post into. Might work if you have a v groove in the back as you can settle the front in the V better.

I appreciate the input and you may be correct on your assement Themic86. However when I got up this morning before going online I looked at the set up again and decided to go ahead and try to move the rear sight closer to my eye. Before doing so I happened to do a little left/right tug on the front sight and discovered it moved a little each way so I tightened it down. Since only one small screw held the rear sight in place I removed the screw. I quickly learned that the tapped holes for the front and rear sight are smaller in diameter than the scope mount holes so it would be a no go to move the rear sight using the stock set up. But fortunately from years of tinkering with such things and keeping a assortment of screws on hand I found a screw that would work but not without drilling out the rear sight shaft slightly. It's not something I would recommend doing but I did it anyway and was able to mount the rear sight using the scope hole closest to the rear end of the barrel.
I don't know if it would be a accuracy improvement for someone with two good eyes but for me, I could focus better on the rear sight that way rather than with it halfway down the barrel wearing glasses.

The stock front sight and rear sights are made of metal but the front sight sits up pretty high and I could see it possibly bumping against something and breaking especially since it's held by one small screw but if it did it would be a good time to do a sight upgrade I suppose.

So was it worth it to move the rear sight back? If I were using it I would say yes, but for someone with good eyes probably not unless you are going to go to the rear peep mount set up as Themic86 also suggested which would require no modification, only removing the stock rear sight and installing the eabco.net peep/mount.

MTNBOYJD

FNG
I'll share what I did with my Traditions. Rear sights are a joke these days. We can't use scopes here so a good rear sight is important. Put a tang mounted peep on my Lyman, worked well. You can't put a tang mount on a modern in-line so I made a mount and put a Redfield target peep on mine. Works well. .25 moa adjustment.
Utilized the holes intended for scope mounting. 1 1/2" groups at 100 with my 57 year old eyes.
SIGHT.jpg

OP
Roughwater
I started this thread. My idea to move the stock rear sight to the 1st scope screw hole was a failure as it turned out. Mounted this way, we we couldn't get enough elevation. At 30 yards we were maybe 2" low but about 5" low maxed out at 100 yards. Maybe I could have put a small shim under the back of the sight but without going to a lot of other trouble to make it work it just wasn't a good idea. We didn't change it back, at least not yet. He was only expecting to have to shoot about 30 yards so he figured to make do with it probably till next year then scope it as they are legal in NC. I do like the idea a lot of using a adjustable peep in place of the stock rear sight myself even better than a scope and I may try to convince our nephew to go that route instead.
His rife is 50 cal so we used 2 tripple 7 pellets per round and 250 gn sabots.