CWD meat, maybe?

OXN939

WKR
It is possible, but it seems the % and # change every year.

True indeed, and obviously so. Infection rates are constantly changing- say there's a bad winter that keeps resident animals from venturing outside of their core home ranges- transmission events will go down. Human interference with natural migration corridors funnels greater numbers of animals into smaller areas, which obviously increases the risk for transmission. As with almost any disease, the figures will always be changing. Are there some areas of southern Michigan that topped out near 50% infection rate? Maybe. If so, it was probably only a brief period until mortality equalized that figure to be lower again.

As huntineveryday says above, the scientific community's opinion is solidly split for now. Do remember that this is a natural part of recognizing a threat- the consensus was, at one time, split about whether asbestos was an appropriate material for use in clothing.

Ian Ketterman

Lil-Rokslider
True indeed, and obviously so. Infection rates are constantly changing- say there's a bad winter that keeps resident animals from venturing outside of their core home ranges- transmission events will go down. Human interference with natural migration corridors funnels greater numbers of animals into smaller areas, which obviously increases the risk for transmission. As with almost any disease, the figures will always be changing. Are there some areas of southern Michigan that topped out near 50% infection rate? Maybe. If so, it was probably only a brief period until mortality equalized that figure to be lower again.

As huntineveryday says above, the scientific community's opinion is solidly split for now. Do remember that this is a natural part of recognizing a threat- the consensus was, at one time, split about whether asbestos was an appropriate material for use in clothing.

Sure, and maybe we'll know in 300 years CWD was a sham or it was causing severe brain damage. The Romans loved using asbestos for insulation and loved the flavor of lead in their wine. But until we see facts proving harmful impacts on human health, it is a deer disease and deer without symptoms will be consumed.

Stalker69

WKR
The thing is, if your animal has CWD and you use the same knife, cutting board grinder any thing that meat contacted is infected with the CWD prions. And if you didn’t wear rubber gloves, I guess you get the picture. Even using an autoclave ( tattoo sterilizer) will not “ kill” the prions, the small scratches in your knife blades are big enough to hold hundreds or thousands of them. You will be transmitting it to any thing else you cut, place on that board, clean with one of the rags etc. Its not a simple, throw it out, clean up it’s gone type thing. If your animal test positive, you have already been “ exposed” to it.

There is a study where they fed macaques meat from infected deer that were asymptomatic, and they contracted the disease. The study isn't conclusive, and it was macaques, not humans, but it is one of the studies that indicates that it might be possible to contract the disease from eating meat from animals showing no symptoms. There are other studies that indicate we shouldn't be able to contract the disease, however.

The main point being that as of now the research still isn't conclusive one way or the other, so if you eat meat from a deer that could have CWD you are assuming some risk.

I believe this study actually showed the opposite and that some scientists jumped the gun and started saying it was transmissible before the study was completed. Could be a different study than I'm thinking of though:

https://www.nih.gov/news-events/new...nic-wasting-disease-transmissibility-macaques

huntineveryday

Lil-Rokslider
I believe this study actually showed the opposite and that some scientists jumped the gun and started saying it was transmissible before the study was completed. Could be a different study than I'm thinking of though:

https://www.nih.gov/news-events/new...nic-wasting-disease-transmissibility-macaques

There are two different studies, with different indications. The CDC discusses an ongoing second study that was presented on in 2017 showing there was disease transmission to macaques. They have reference to the presentation slides. They explain that the earlier study you referenced showed no transmission, and they aren't sure why (they reference that study as well).

The main point is that there is some evidence that suggests it might be transmittable, there is some evidence that suggests it isn't. We are too early in the process to draw definitive conclusions, which is why current recommendation is to not eat meat from animals that test positive. Or to assume that there is some risk if you choose to.

The thing is, if your animal has CWD and you use the same knife, cutting board grinder any thing that meat contacted is infected with the CWD prions. And if you didn’t wear rubber gloves, I guess you get the picture. Even using an autoclave ( tattoo sterilizer) will not “ kill” the prions, the small scratches in your knife blades are big enough to hold hundreds or thousands of them. You will be transmitting it to any thing else you cut, place on that board, clean with one of the rags etc. Its not a simple, throw it out, clean up it’s gone type thing. If your animal test positive, you have already been “ exposed” to it.

No argument at all. To add some perspective....

Consider that many of us ingest or contact potential pathogens every day as a part of life. E coli, salmonella, herpes virus, and a long list of other agents are out there. Our dishrag, doorknobs, counter-tops, dog, shopping cart and everything are well known to be havens for these agents. We do what we can to minimize them there....and then we take further action to reduce our chances of actually ingesting them. Still....as I've said before....the doorknob leaving the men's restroom isn't sterile and there's a great chance I'm eating someone's intestinal flora along with my pizza slice. I don't get sick, mainly because of my immune system, and because because the concentration of bacteria ingested is very low.

It's another thing to actually consume the source or vector of any infectious or potentially-infectious agent, thereby coming into contact with concentrated amounts of it. The difference between directly consuming large amounts of a CWD-infected animal versus incidental contact and consumption of remnant prions on a cutting board might be significant. Maybe not. I can prove nothing.

OXN939

WKR

Very true that there's a lot of exposure people aren't aware of. However, per the National Institute of Health last month...

If you wear gloves while skinning and cleaning (I'm a big fan of Kevin's double nitride glove idea) and use proper decontamination procedures for all your gear with bleach, I'd call that "good to go." Certainly what I'll be doing if WY next year comes to fruition.

tntrker

WKR
I've been eating mine, and it will be awhile before the test results are even done. Mine looked, and acted healthy when I shot him, so it don't bother me. The chances of it being infected are pretty darn slim, even in a known cwd area. Heck, the CPW don't even have a clue, so they are resorting to a mandatory test, just so they can get an idea just how prevalent it is. Besides, I have yet to hear of it making the transition to humans anyway. But if it bothers you, feed it to the dogs.....

Feed it to the dog? Is it proven it can't be transferred to dogs? I'm not being a smartazz, but with everyone saying don't eat CDW infected meat, wouldn't/shouldn't that include giving the meat to dogs? Are they immured to it? Just wondering out loud...

Chad.frank

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah man it stinks the situation you are in. Did not read all the comments but here’s what I would say. For 1 the animals don’t show signs of sickness until the very end. They can carry the disease for up to 2 years. Wasted meat isn’t cool but personally I would not eat meat that was infected. Yes as far as we know there is a zero percent chance of contracting the disease. But damn I’d hate to be the first one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wyosam

WKR
I feel like if it isn’t tested positive, and you throw it out, that constitutes waste of a game animal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cnelk

WKR
Here's the dealio....

All the testing is funded by Grants. When the grant funding runs out, the testing goes away.

Be there, done that, seen that, on the Colorado Front Range.

huntineveryday

Lil-Rokslider
You can have the tests done yourself. While the NGPC is no longer testing in the unit I hunt, I can send samples to UNL or K-State vet lab and have a CWD test completed. I've used K-State, it's under $30 and pretty user friendly with quick turnaround time. Back to the OP, both of those require brainstem and lymph node tissue samples, however.

Felix40

WKR
There is a study where they fed macaques meat from infected deer that were asymptomatic, and they contracted the disease. The study isn't conclusive, and it was macaques, not humans, but it is one of the studies that indicates that it might be possible to contract the disease from eating meat from animals showing no symptoms. There are other studies that indicate we shouldn't be able to contract the disease, however.

The main point being that as of now the research still isn't conclusive one way or the other, so if you eat meat from a deer that could have CWD you are assuming some risk.

That was debunked.

To the OP....the only tests available require brain stem or lymph nodes as far as I know. So theres no way for you to know.

OP
Bagel_7

Bagel_7

Lil-Rokslider
Well, to the people who are saying they would eat the deer no questions asked. I am legit offering it up to anyone who would like the meat. I am in the Boise area and I have 75 pounds of meat its already been butchered. Let me know if you want it.

LostArra

WKR
At 67 years old I'm sure I've eaten a positive deer or elk at sometime in my life.

With more widespread testing I predict that animals testing positive will be found everywhere and it's quite likely that most hunters have unknowingly eaten a positive animal without giving it a second thought.

I really hate to see where the future of deer and elk hunting ends up when the "healthy meat" from our pastime comes into question by hunters and non-hunters (CWD, cervid tuberculosis)

I really hate to see where the future of deer and elk hunting ends up when the "healthy meat" from our pastime comes into question by hunters and non-hunters (CWD, cervid tuberculosis)

I have the same thought. The value of good meat is very important to me....enough that I would not have a reason to hunt deer, etc if I could not safely eat the meat. If consuming CWD+ deer is ever proved to be risky, I won't be surprised to see deer hunting become much less popular.

I'm sure a lot of fear exists, whether well-founded or not. Looking back over a lifetime of changes, what bothers me is this: We've seen many, many health threats which started out as 'probably not a risk to your health'. Years or even decades later science and accumulated evidence proves that to be wrong, as people get sick and die. I recall when mercury was nothing more than an interesting element we played with as kids. Our science teachers encouraged us to hold it in our hands and marvel at its fluidity. Then we went to lunch.....

KHNC

WKR
You ever heard of a dog with Mad Cow disease? Or a CWD dog? I rest my case....grin
I did find out dogs can contract trichinosis from bear meat tho. I feeding my dog raw bear meat until i realized that was possible. He didnt contract it, but i no longer feed it to him uncooked.