CWD Positive. What would you do??

Truth be told: My concern isn't about CWD making the jump to humans and directly manifesting as a human disease. I believe that would've happened by now, or have been proven likely. What concerns me is the exposure of the human immune system to the prion, and subsequent response it could set in motion. Not all immune responses are good, and some are debilitating or even fatal. With enough time and exposure to CWD prions, who can say some sort of acquired or developing immune response or deficiency won't occur?

The tick borne diseases are bad enough. The prion stuff is next level. Hopefully the "jump" to humans doesn't happen and cases in deer level off. I does seem to be spreading though unfortunately. Last season I came across the grossest looking deer I've ever seen that practically bumped into me in CO. It appeared to have obvious neuro compromise. Never seen anything like it before. I contemplated putting it down from an ethical standpoint but that would have been "illegal". I ended up throwing a log at it to "shoo" it away so it didn't touch me. Basically a Zombie.

Stalker69

WKR
The pathology still doesn't match. The spongiform diseases, even in people, have well defined post mortem lesions. Alzheimer's does as well. They aren't the same.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

I know they are not the same but they don’t actually test for for any thing Alzheimer’s, vCJD or any other brain problem. It’s just diagnosed as such. And if CWD is transferable to humans, it would lead to a huuuuuge economic problem. Better not to test, then find out the truth ?

macdaddy

FNG
Mad cow disease is a prion mediated disease. Essentially the same thing as CWD in deer and elk populations. Many have stated that there are no known instances of human disease states resulting from prion positive wild game consumption. This is factual. Would anyone be comfortable eating prion positive beef? I wouldn’t, and for the same reason, I would not eat prion positive wild game. Just because human transmission hasn’t been proven at this point, doesn’t mean it hasn’t occurred.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
Just because human transmission hasn’t been proven at this point, doesn’t mean it hasn’t occurred.

This is taking an awfully big leap. Like from here to mars.

Especially knowing that BSE and CWD and Scrapies weren't and haven't been able to purposely infect other species.

For instance horses can't catch of those 3 kinds. Of all the cervidae species only Whitetail, Blacktail, their hybrids, All sika, Red deer and elk can catch CWD. But not BSE or scrapies. Fallow deer can not catch any of them. They can not be infected in a lab either. Same with axis or barasinga and many other deer species.

CWD can't even infect other species of cervidae.,,,

We (Humans) already have our own PrP diseases. They are.............
Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease (CJD)
fatal familial insomnia (FFI)
Gertsmann-Straussler-Scheinker syndrome (GSS)
kuru and variably protease-sensitive prionopathy (VPSPr)

I wonder how many people on this thread have already eaten cwd infected meat. My personal opinion is that I would eat it. But I don’t know how I’ll ever know as the areas I hunt haven’t been infected....yet. As to whether I would keep hunting areas that are known cwd areas, yea I would keep hunting them. Just be boneing out the meat and not taking the brain and spinal column just like normal for me.

I think I have a lot higher risk of dyeing from a million other things that are much worse for me that we as Americans eat every day. This kind of reminds me of the people that stress relentlessly over getting attacked by a grizzly while hunting when they’re much more likely to die or get injured driving to and from their hunt areas. Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:

Fitzwho

WKR
If I remember correctly, Pronghorn are not able to contract CWD. You would think that if a Pronghorn is different enough from deer and elk that it would be almost impossible to “catch” as a human.

That said... I don’t think I could knowingly feed my 3 year old daughter CWD positive meat.

brsnow

WKR
I don’t think horses and antelope eat deer and elk. How do humans get CJD?

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
I don’t think horses and antelope eat deer and elk. How do humans get CWD?

The orgin of PrP diseases is unknown and its unknown how long that they have been around.

The main way CWD is transmitted they say is nose to nose contact they speculate. Or places noses have been. Like you drinking from that same water hole that CWD deer just drank from. Beings as they don't know how to destroy a prion yet and bleach and autoclaving don't work its not that far of a leap to say you water disenfectiant is not working on that.

The governments proper procedure to dispose of a CWD infected carcass is either a lined landfill or 10 foot hole and inceneration.

When they pull the brain stems they are supposed to clean bag and label the instruments and not use them again to pull another stem until a negative test is confirmed. (sometimes weeks later).

If your that worried about your own prion exposure and have transported a CWD known deer, anything that came into contact with the blood COULD be infected. And it cant we washed out. Toss your knives, backpacks, game bags, coolers and anything else a single drop of blood or nose of discharge out of the nose came into contact with when you throw out the meat.

brsnow

WKR
The orgin of PrP diseases is unknown and its unknown how long that they have been around.

The main way CWD is transmitted they say is nose to nose contact they speculate. Or places noses have been. Like you drinking from that same water hole that CWD deer just drank from. Beings as they don't know how to destroy a prion yet and bleach and autoclaving don't work its not that far of a leap to say you water disenfectiant is not working on that.

The governments proper procedure to dispose of a CWD infected carcass is either a lined landfill or 10 foot hole and inceneration.

When they pull the brain stems they are supposed to clean bag and label the instruments and not use them again to pull another stem until a negative test is confirmed. (sometimes weeks later).

If your that worried about your own prion exposure and have transported a CWD known deer, anything that came into contact with the blood COULD be infected. And it cant we washed out. Toss your knives, backpacks, game bags, coolers and anything else a single drop of blood or nose of discharge out of the nose came into contact with when you throw out the meat.

Sorry meant to ask how humans got CJD?

Oh I see, you tampered with my statement to attempt humor...

Last edited:

macdaddy

FNG
This is taking an awfully big leap. Like from here to mars.

Especially knowing that BSE and CWD and Scrapies weren't and haven't been able to purposely infect other species.

For instance horses can't catch of those 3 kinds. Of all the cervidae species only Whitetail, Blacktail, their hybrids, All sika, Red deer and elk can catch CWD. But not BSE or scrapies. Fallow deer can not catch any of them. They can not be infected in a lab either. Same with axis or barasinga and many other deer species.

CWD can't even infect other species of cervidae.,,,

We (Humans) already have our own PrP diseases. They are.............
Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease (CJD)
fatal familial insomnia (FFI)
Gertsmann-Straussler-Scheinker syndrome (GSS)
kuru and variably protease-sensitive prionopathy (VPSPr)

I am fully familiar with the disease states you mention. I have been practicing medicine for 23 years.

The disease transmission may be different if the animals you mentioned were carnivorous. The fact that CWD hasn’t been found in the tissues of coyotes, wolves or raccoon is a more valid argument.

The CDC recommends keeping all prion mediated disease (including CWD) out of the human food chain. Some studies suggest primates (Rhesus Monkey) do become infected.

Am I going to quit hunting? No. Am I going to feed my family CWD positive wild game? No. Have I already done so? I don’t think so but cannot be 100% sure. Does our understanding of a potential disease state change over time? Yes. Do we know all there is to know about this disease state? I would say no. Until we do, I will take a cautious approach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kiddogy

WKR
You've done the work. You've put in the miles both traveling and hiking. Worked rain, snow, wind and shine. You had luck on your side, you took the shot. Now you travel back to the truck with pack loaded best feeling in the world.

You get your buck tested for CWD, comes back positive.

Will you still consume your buck or discard the meat?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
I would donate it to the DNC.

their brains are already rotted anyhow.

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
Sorry meant to ask how humans got CJD?

Oh I see, you tampered with my statement to attempt humor...
Ah you actually meant CJD = Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease .

Sorry about that.

I have no idea to be honest I'm not up on the pathology and transmisablity of CJD.

I was semi serious about destroying anything that has come into contact with a CWD carcass. While I probably wouldn't I'm not going to say you shouldn't. Like macdaddy has stated our understanding of a known 50-60 year old disease is limited. We know it was first noticed in mule deer in research captivity in colorado in the late 60's and diagnosed in the 70's. I probably wouldn't eat CWD meat but I am not dependent on my harvests for dinner either.

brsnow

WKR
Ah you actually meant CJD = Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease .

Sorry about that.

I have no idea to be honest I'm not up on the pathology and transmisablity of CJD.

I was semi serious about destroying anything that has come into contact with a CWD carcass. While I wouldn't I'm not going to say you shouldn't. Like macdaddy has stated our understanding of a known 50-60 year old disease is limited. We know it was first noticed in mule deer in research captivity in colorado in the late 60's and diagnosed in the 70's.

No doubt there is always some truth in humor;-) we started to process our own elk because of what you brought up. If one ends up positive the grinder/knives probably get disposed of. Seems like a small cost when my small kids are considered.

The CDC recommends keeping all prion mediated disease (including CWD) out of the human food chain. Some studies suggest primates (Rhesus Monkey) do become infected.

Does our understanding of a potential disease state change over time? Yes. Do we know all there is to know about this disease state? I would say no. Until we do, I will take a cautious approach.

Standing ovation. To assume CWD-infected animals (specifically the infectious agents) pose no current or future risk to us is to ignore the progressive adaptations of our immune systems and the causative organisms they encounter.

It wasn't all that long ago that government agencies were actively promoting that people could NOT become infected from eating BSE positive beef even though the research gave no conclusion either way.
And they were wrong.
That decision cost the lives of hundreds of people, with more happening to this day.

Plenty of people here saying they would knowingly eat CWD positive meat.
How many of you will share this meat with others/family?
Do you really have no issues feeding CWD positive meat to your child?

kiddogy

WKR
It wasn't all that long ago that government agencies were actively promoting that people could NOT become infected from eating BSE positive beef even though the research gave no conclusion either way.
And they were wrong.
That decision cost the lives of hundreds of people, with more happening to this day.

Plenty of people here saying they would knowingly eat CWD positive meat.
How many of you will share this meat with others/family?
Do you really have no issues feeding CWD positive meat to your child?
I suppose it would all hinge on which member of my family we are talking about.;)😁

Btaylor

WKR
This is not meant to be argumentative but I wonder how many folks that cite not feeding CWD positive meat to their kids do feed their kids a steady diet of processed foods and soft drinks. Should we be more worried about the stuff that we know will cause all sorts of health issues and shorten life span or one that has not been proven to be an issue in several decades of testing?

Yota

FNG
I'm still eating it. Do you know how many deer get eaten that aren't tested every year? I can assure you I won't be the first to eat one.

Of all the risk's involved in everyday life, I put being the first person to contract CWD way way down on that list.
I’m feeling the same way. because I have always been blessed by the Good Lord my entire long life and trust Him for as long or short as it may be. He would have caused me to miss or not recover the game but if I died I wouldn’t mind at all because I know where I’m going when it’s my time to go.