CWD Positive. What would you do??

OP
Sbarrera185
Toss it. Friends of mine that are Biologist say they would toss the meat also. I now de-bone the meat and keep each animal separate, then store it awaiting the test results. This has all been with Whitetails.
That's what I was going to do this year we have two mule deer tags in a must test CWD unit. That was the plan if we get lucky. Keep them separate until results come back and keep each deer labeled

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

TrueAt1stLight

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone know if they can test any amount of brain, like taking in a sample? How about meat- can it be tested?

Cohunter9

FNG
You've done the work. You've put in the miles both traveling and hiking. Worked rain, snow, wind and shine. You had luck on your side, you took the shot. Now you travel back to the truck with pack loaded best feeling in the world.

You get your buck tested for CWD, comes back positive.

Will you still consume your buck or discard the meat?

Prion diseases (CWD, CJD, etc) not most understood in terms of risk. Ditch it as much as that sucks that’s what I would do. Likely minimal risk, but I’m not feeding it to my kids/family knowingly

The county I hunt to the east of our farm in IL has 4 positive test results. Scary part is that guys from that county frequent the same guy I use for salami and brats. No telling if/when someone takes a positive deer to him for processing and the spread of CWD in that shop.

The county I hunt to the east of our farm in IL has 4 positive test results. Scary part is that guys from that county frequent the same guy I use for salami and brats. No telling if/when someone takes a positive deer to him for processing and the spread of CWD in that shop.

Number one reason, we started processing our own...Illinois or Colorado.

I hunt McHenry Co. IL.- A CWD county, that boarders the highest IL. CWD prevalence counties, as well as WI. CWD effected counties.
We called around, asking about testing and the process.
They’ll hang a deer, while waiting for results.
If you don’t get your deer tested, it get butchered right away.
This particular processor said, during archery, deer are done one at a time(but highly doubt butchering tools are sterilized after each deer).
During gun, the grinder is going 24/7 and “your deer will get mixed with others”.
This was a processor in WI.
Basically, if you bring your deer to any of these processors in the area, the likelihood of getting CWD in your meat is very high.

Last edited:

ZMT588

Lil-Rokslider
I have the ability to hang and store my deer until I get test results back. After I receive results I will handle the meat accordingly. My wife has already made it clear that she will not be eating or feeding CWD positive deer to our kids. I will process the animal myself to avoid getting mixed ground meat from someones deer that may be positive. Hard to think of what this will do to hunting in the next few years with the rapid spread of the disease.

Like Spike Camp said most places run everything 24/7 during busy times. The are I moved from in Iowa processors were starting to try and keep exposure to a minimum. Some would only take de-boned meat. I think some were also thinking about requiring test results before processing. Most processors that I know of have a 100 lb minimum if you want to guarantee that you get your deer back. Hopefully if they were doing that large of a batch things would be cleaned between the batches. I am not sure what amount of sterilization could guarantee that the prion would not spread. The last time I read up on it, they had found no way to kill the prion off.

If I get to hunt or my gf this will be the first year I will have to take meat somewhere. I don't like the idea of getting whatever meat back.

I found it pretty interesting that in this years Ohio regulations book that they offer to test for CWD for a fee. They also go on to recommend not eating meat that tested positive. Although it’s only been found in some northern parts of the state for now, it makes you wonder why they aren’t taking a more agressive approach if it has already made its way to the state.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I found it pretty interesting that in this years Ohio regulations book that they offer to test for CWD for a fee. They also go on to recommend not eating meat that tested positive. Although it’s only been found in some northern parts of the state for now, it makes you wonder why they aren’t taking a more agressive approach if it has already made its way to the state.

Because being more aggressive isn't any more effective at stopping or reducing cwd .

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Mwacree74

FNG
You've done the work. You've put in the miles both traveling and hiking. Worked rain, snow, wind and shine. You had luck on your side, you took the shot. Now you travel back to the truck with pack loaded best feeling in the world.

You get your buck tested for CWD, comes back positive.

Will you still consume your buck or discard the meat?

I'm super conflicted about this. Interesting to see the other responses.

rmiller

FNG
Based on the virtually indestructible nature of the pathogen and the experimental evidence that prions are uber efficiently transmitted by aerosols (Think cooking smoke and steam), not to mention that they bind outrageously well to metal (pans, cutlery, etc.), eating it yourself but not feeding it to your family seems a bit of a stretch unless they don't live with you.

TLDR

If cook it in your home, you are, by default, feeding it to your family.

Stalker69

WKR
Based on the virtually indestructible nature of the pathogen and the experimental evidence that prions are uber efficiently transmitted by aerosols (Think cooking smoke and steam), not to mention that they bind outrageously well to metal (pans, cutlery, etc.), eating it yourself but not feeding it to your family seems a bit of a stretch unless they don't live with you.

TLDR

TLDR

Or if they ever eat anything made in that pan, cut with that knife, on that cutting board.