CX maxima red and red SD spine selection

Wodez

FNG
I’ll soon be purchasing a dozen maxima red arrows. I am unsure if I will get the SD smaller diameter shafts or just the standards.

i am wondering what spine I should go for. To make it worse their spine size numbering is backwards. Eg- Their size 250 is a 400 spine.

i shoot a Mathews v3 at 75 pound
Arrow length is 29”
125 broadheads + 20-50grain inserts ( I am undecided on inserts but I’ll first try what comes with the shafts)

I normally shoot 250 spine arrows
The maxima reds only come in 2 sizes. Size 250=400 spine and size 350= 350 spine which apparently cover most situations up to a 90 pound bow.
The maxima red SD has an extra size which is 450=300 spine.
Will the size 350=350 spine be fine for either shaft or should I go with the 450=300spine if I choose the SD’s. It would be handy to save some GPI if the 350s will work. But in saying that 350 spine sounds weak for my setup.

Zac

WKR
First of all what is your setup? Secondly, why in the world are you purchasing Carbon Express?

OP
W

Wodez

FNG
First of all what is your setup? Secondly, why in the world are you purchasing Carbon Express?
What do you need to know about my setup?

I did a little research on shafts and stumbled across the maxima reds with dual spine technology…. Best broadhead flight…. Easier to nock tune….weight forward…ect.
Upon more reading some say it is all fake and just marketing hype. But some seem to like them and not agree with the video bad mouthing them so I thought I would take a gamble and give them a go. Is there a different shaft that does the above mentioned better at a similar price you can suggest?
I’m no pro in everything about archery. I just enjoy hunting. Happy to take any advise.

Cx makes a decent shaft, but I don't think you will get a 450 (300 spine) to work for your setup. I'd recommend looking at a 250 spine shaft for what you list.

And it's my opinion that you are wasting time, money, and energy with anything smaller than a .244-.246 I'd shaft.

OP
W

Wodez

FNG
Cx makes a decent shaft, but I don't think you will get a 450 (300 spine) to work for your setup. I'd recommend looking at a 250 spine shaft for what you list.

And it's my opinion that you are wasting time, money, and energy with anything smaller than a .244-.246 I'd shaft.
Thanks
That’s what I was thinking. But like I said, the maxima reds only come in 400 spine or 350 spine and apparently they can be used for anything upto a 90pound bow. And I’m guessing the SDs in their stiffest option in 300 spine would be their safest option and still covers upto 90 pound. Sounds odd compared to other shaft spine charts. I guess I’m hoping someone can verify

Thanks
That’s what I was thinking. But like I said, the maxima reds only come in 400 spine or 350 spine and apparently they can be used for anything upto a 90pound bow. And I’m guessing the SDs in their stiffest option in 300 spine would be their safest option and still covers upto 90 pound. Sounds odd compared to other shaft spine charts. I guess I’m hoping someone can verify

Well, I'm telling you they aren't going to work with 90# unless it's a really soft cam. I haven't shot the Maxima reds, I shot the old Maxima hunters. There was a time they were the most consistent spine shaft I could find, but they aren't going to work @ 75# and 29". Their chart might say they will, because they don't make anything heavier. I think they are safe, not going to blow up, but they aren't going to tune correctly.

The V3 pushes a shaft pretty hard. Then add in the fact you are at 75#, added weight upfront, and using a 29" shaft, you need to find something in a 250 spine.

Zac

WKR
CE has absolutely no science to back up their ridiculous claims. Easton Axis, and Black Eagle Rampage have tighter tolerances at a better price point.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
The older CX Maxima Hunters and 3D Selects were some of the finest shooting arrows I've ever shot. Unreal long range accuracy and consistency, but they weren't all that durable, and those bulldog collars were like funnels for attracting other arrows down the shaft. I was robin hooding so many of those arrows at long range that it wasn't cost effective at all......but a lot of fun. I miss hearing those arrows and fletching slapping together on every shot. But I haven't tried their newer offerings.

Looks like CX Maxima Red SD's retail around $200/dozen ($16.67 ea) fletched with inserts & nocks...that's not a cheap arrow. If you're set on small diameter (0.204"), Easton 5mm Axis and Black Eagle Rampage have comparable straightness tolerances (±0.003"), are available in ≈0.250" spine, and cost around $11 ea. Victory RIP TKO Gamer and Gold Tip Kinetic Kaos would be other comparable options around $15 ea. If you're willing to entertain standard diameter (0.244-0.246") arrows, that would open up even more options.

I see no reason to push your luck on being underspined in order to use a CX arrow. Competitors offer similar options in appropriate spines at the same or better prices. CX's claims about improved accuracy due to their "multi-spine" technology (whatever that means) are pure marketing hogwash.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zac
OP
W

Wodez

FNG
Th
Looks like CX Maxima Red SD's retail around $200/dozen ($16.67 ea) fletched with inserts & nocks...that's not a cheap arrow. If you're set on small diameter (0.204"), Easton 5mm Axis and Black Eagle Rampage have comparable straightness tolerances (±0.003"), are available in ≈0.250" spine, and cost around $11 ea. Victory RIP TKO Gamer and Gold Tip Kinetic Kaos would be other comparable options around $15 ea. If you're willing to entertain standard diameter (0.244-0.246") arrows, that would open up even more options.

I see no reason to push your luck on being underspined in order to use a CX arrow. Competitors offer similar options in appropriate spines at the same or better prices. CX's claims about improved accuracy due to their "multi-spine" technology (whatever that means) are pure marketing hogwash.
thanks for the suggestions.
I am leaning towards a standard diameter shaft. I only considered the small diameter maxima reds sd because they come in a stiffer spine compared to the standard diameter maxima reds.
What do you recommend in standard diameter 250 spine. Preferably not overly heavy gpi

Kularrow

Lil-Rokslider
Arrow selection has to be the most pretentious thing about archery hands down.