Cylinder stove embers putting holes in my Alaknak

sk1

WKR
Hey guys - new to a wall tent/camp stove style base camp.

Last year was our first year doing it. Bought a used alaknak tent that was in great shape I think 12x12 if I can recall right. It came with a cylinder stove from cedar city. We had a heck of a time trying to get the last section of stove pipe on the very top so we used it short one section, I’m guessing about 2 ft or so. We really got quite a few holes from embers. Is it because it wasn’t high enough or what else would it be?

This tent can’t survive many years of use getting holes like that each year. I’m including a couple pictures from out hunt for reference.

Thanks for any inputIMG_6614.jpg
IMG_6615.jpg
IMG_6616.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
Your Height looks great but sounds to me like you need a spark arrestor for your stove pipe. The extra 2 feet of pipe wouldnt hurt but the biggest thing to control the sparks is the Arrestor. That is one giant pipe also what is that an 8 inch round pipe?

OP
sk1

sk1

WKR
I think the picture makes the pipe look bigger than it is. I would assume it was a 6 inch…it fits in the stove so I wouldn’t think it’s oversized.

There is a spark arrestor at the top, maybe it’s just not a very good one? I’ll have to look them up.

That thing was pretty wobbly sitting in the stove and the only other thing holding it up being the tent sleeve. Made me nervous to go much higher even if I could have connected the last section

Nykki

Lil-Rokslider
I have a roof protection panel that I bought with my Alaknak tent I have the 12x20 but the panels are the same.

wyosteve

WKR
Looking at the pics, the other thing I'd consider is removing that conical cap thing on top of the pipe. If sparks hit that it directs them downward. I typically use a straight pipe with a spark arrestor mounted on top, which is typically some screen/metal mesh material affixed to the pipe. Just my .02.

OP
sk1

sk1

WKR
I have a roof protection panel that I bought with my Alaknak tent I have the 12x20 but the panels are the same.

I also have the roof protection around the chimney, some holes in that but some made it to the tent outside of the protector

OP
sk1

sk1

WKR
Looking at the pics, the other thing I'd consider is removing that conical cap thing on top of the pipe. If sparks hit that it directs them downward. I typically use a straight pipe with a spark arrestor mounted on top, which is typically some screen/metal mesh material affixed to the pipe. Just my .02.

What straight pipe arrestor do you use? I found this mesh one and I also found an in-line one just above the stove that looks interesting.

What about a heavy rain not having a cap over the spark arrestor?

IMG_6618.jpg
IMG_6617.jpg

wyosteve

WKR
I just make my own out of metal window screen or small mesh fencing material. We don’t have to worry about much rain here in Wyoming.

I had that same issue with my alaknak, I had so many holes it couldn’t be repaired, then a big windstorm came and it rip at the center pole, so I got the kodiak 12x12 and really like that one.

Use a stovepipe 'T' instead of that stupid shanty cap...... a pipe that exits anywhere but the roof, also eliminated that problem.
HPIM3132reduced.jpg

LaHunter

WKR
Using that extra section of stove pipe would help. Ideally you want your stove pipe to extend up higher than the tallest part of your tent be at least several inches

OP
sk1

sk1

WKR
Use a stovepipe 'T' instead of that stupid shanty cap...... a pipe that exits anywhere but the roof, also eliminated that problem.
HPIM3132reduced.jpg

Does that T have a spark arrestor still?

Yeah I’m not going to have the alaknak re-sewn for a once a year hunt….but it makes sense to have the pipe come out elsewhere. I’m surprised more tents don’t do this. If it wouldn’t make things so unsteady having the pipe with a 45 degree turn even away from the tent coming out the roof would help