CZ 527 suppressor ready - honest review

grog24

Lil-Rokslider
Hello all. I just purchased a CZ 527 suppressor ready in 6.5 Grendel and unboxed it last night. No range time yet, but I will update accordingly. I will try to give honest feedback so you can decide if the gun could potentially work for you. My post will be somewhat long but hopefully informative.

Reason I wanted this gun: most deer “hunting” (harvesting really) we do in Texas is sitting in a deer blind, drinking whiskey or beer, and waiting for a deer to walk up. Most shots are 75yds-110yds (with the occasional 150-200yd). I want a short, lightweight hunting rig, with enough oomph to kill small-medium size game (whitetails, etc.) out to ~300yds. I have ARs that would work but honestly I just prefer a bolt action for hunting.

With my current hunting rig - 6.5cm Rem700 22” and a 9” suppressor slapped on it, I’m at 31” of barrel. Not the most handy. It also weighs 11.5lbs scoped. Yes it shoots .2-.3 groups but it’s not fun to carry in the field or maneuver around.

Enter CZ 527 suppressor ready in 6.5 Grendel. Gun as advertised: 6.5grendel, 16.5” barrel, 5.87lb mini-Mauser action.

Weighing it assembled (with no ammunition) came out to 5lb 12.2oz = 5.76lb. Sweet! Barrel is 16.5” as advertised.

LOP:
Normal trigger mode: 13.75”
CZ “Set” trigger mode: 14.125” (more on that later)

Packaging was cheap as possible - cardboard box, styrofoam compartments... oh well. It gets thrown away so I really don’t care (some do).

Now the biggest shock to me: the synthetic stock it comes with is coated with some rubber/polymer based non-slip coating. Think kimber mountain ascent/Adirondack coating (if you haven’t handled them, think any power tool with a slight rubbery grip). I tried contacting CZ for details but they’re closed for New Years. Will try again later and update. No where I read stated these stocks came this way and it was a big surprise to me. Just be advised.

Common issues you read about the guns:
Barreled action sits crooked in stock (mine is crooked and sits far left) and the action is stiff/bolt manipulation is not smooth. military arms’ YouTube review and many others have similar complaint. I was lucky, as mine is smooth. I will still plan on polishing pieces and reassembling (will report back)

These 527 guns come with the CZ set trigger - you push forward on the trigger and it makes the pull significantly lighter. Think single action vs double action... I thought it would be awesome, but I am not a fan of the set trigger what so ever. No creep, but the over travel is EXTREME. After the trigger goes past the sear engagement (aka breaks) the trigger moves by itself backwards quite a bit. It literally jumps away from your finger, which feels very foreign and against trigger discipline. It also adds 3/8” to the LOP which pushes it to beyond my likes (I like 13.5-13.75 given my size) The “normal” trigger is significantly better in my opinion, so I will eventually disengage the set trigger and polish/tune the normal trigger mechanism.

Another complaint people have is the “reversed” safety. You pull it towards you to disengage. This requires one to break their grip to move their hand - at least for me and I wear size Medium gloves for reference. If you have some big ol paws you might be able to do it without breaking grip... I do not find it a huge issue because I disengage safety (with the gun pointed at intended target) with my finger off the trigger and then settle in behind the scope. So nothing that will affect my routine.

My overall feeling for the gun: I like it a lot, even with the crooked stock and flaws. It’s lightweight, compact, feels well in the hand, nice manufacturing on metallic components, and good price point ($675 as of 12/20). I plan on putting a lightweight, short suppressor on it to keep the barrel length around 22” or less... w/ 6.5 Grendel’s already minimal recoil, this should be an excellent combo.

To be honest, I fully attend on replacing synthetic stock with a walnut CZ stock (which I will refinish to high gloss) to give it the “classic” blued steel and walnut look. I have other tactical/carbon fiber rifle stocks but want a classy build.. When my boy grows up and comes hunting with me, I want him to see THAT as a classic rifle.. cheesy? Maybe.. but hopefully you can relate).. if I was intending to make it an all out “rugged” hunting rig, I would cerakote it and move on.. I do not think the stock will take cerakoting well/if at all with rubberized coating.. I will report back after speaking with CZ on their guidance.

Thanks for reading and please let me know if you have any questions, comments, or requests for more info. I intend to respond after range tests and more info from CZ.

Attachments

• FDB6C3B0-034B-4467-A94B-BBE666AE3354.jpeg
    FDB6C3B0-034B-4467-A94B-BBE666AE3354.jpeg
    286.3 KB · Views: 70
  • 53262B5E-12DF-407A-895A-ED3E9A6A103B.jpeg
    53262B5E-12DF-407A-895A-ED3E9A6A103B.jpeg
    305.9 KB · Views: 69
  • 5699165B-3E5A-4129-A8A6-E735A27BBB52.jpeg
    5699165B-3E5A-4129-A8A6-E735A27BBB52.jpeg
    153.9 KB · Views: 64
  • 42BF12B8-58CA-44E5-B509-A68090477F0E.jpeg
    42BF12B8-58CA-44E5-B509-A68090477F0E.jpeg
    184.6 KB · Views: 53
  • 84A469EF-21A8-4B05-8F0E-385310B6A376.jpeg
    84A469EF-21A8-4B05-8F0E-385310B6A376.jpeg
    174.1 KB · Views: 60

TxxAgg

WKR
I had a pretty one. Loved the set trigger. Loved the gun, but decided I didn't like the Grendel cartridge.
Good luck with yours.

Attachments

• 63142640-720A-459A-A6BB-8B56AD6B2851.jpeg
    63142640-720A-459A-A6BB-8B56AD6B2851.jpeg
    107 KB · Views: 41
OP
grog24

grog24

Lil-Rokslider
I had a pretty one. Loved the set trigger. Loved the gun, but decided I didn't like the Grendel cartridge.
Good luck with yours.
That is pretty. Hopefully I like the cartridge. Never even shot a Grendel before...Planning on 123 SST and neck shots. Were you not impressed with the performance or what specifically?

Also good to see another Aggie on here.

TxxAgg

WKR
I probably didn't give it enough time but I thought the 123 sst was too fragile. Shot a big pig with no exit. It didn't go far, though. Then shot a few more pigs with no exits. Finally shot a doe and couldn't find her. Probably bad luck or maybe I was off the mark a bit. Either way, I lost confidence. (Worked great on a few coyotes)

I am a big fan of 223 so I don't have anything against the smaller cartridges.

I think your bolt will smooth out after a couple boxes of ammo. Had the same thing in 5 CZ's

B23

WKR
Unless the trigger is different on that model 527 the trigger will be fully adjustable. All the CZ 527's I've had you can adjust sear engagement, trigger pull, and over travel.

I'm not a big fan of using the "set" mode in my CZ 527's but for what I use them for I like mine having a very light trigger so I replaced the factory pull rate spring with ones I bought from James Calhoon and now have the non set mode at right around 10oz.

Also, I recommend giving the barrel a good scrubbing before you go shoot it. Not sure what CZ coats the barrels with but I've yet to have a new CZ 527 that didn't have the nastiest thickest syrupy like stuff in the barrel. I don't even bother trying to patch them out I just tip the muzzle down in a pan and douche them out with a can or break cleaner then patch it out with Butch's and finished off with some dry clean patches and go shoot it.

Last edited:
OP
grog24

grog24

Lil-Rokslider
Unless the trigger is different on that model 527 the trigger will be fully adjustable. All the CZ 527's I've had you can adjust sear engagement, trigger pull, and over travel.

I'm not a big fan of using the "set" mode in my CZ 527's but for what I use them for I like mine having a very light trigger so I replaced the factory pull rate spring with ones I bought from James Calhoon and now have the non set mode at right around 10oz.

Also, I recommend giving the barrel a good scrubbing before you go shoot it. Not sure what CZ coats the barrels with but I've yet to have a new CZ 527 that didn't have the nastiest thickest syrupy like stuff in the barrel. I don't even bother trying to patch them out I just tip the muzzle down in a pan and douche them out with a can or break cleaner then patch it out with Butch's and finished off with some dry clean patches and go shoot it.
Thank you for the recommendations and info!

Tmac

WKR
For my 527 in 221 Fireball, it took sometime to smooth out the action. Just over 100 rounds and some running of the bolt at home did the trick. I have grown to like the set trigger, that took about 100 prairie dogs... I use it about 90% of the time set now. So maybe give that some time, but if planning on kids using it, I might not have them use the set mode as it’s real light. Mine came with an above average piece of walnut with some figure, which is why I ended up with it. Accuracy with its favored load is excellent, .3 moa ish, which it holds to 300 if I do my part.

I do shoot a Grendel, mine is on a Howa mini barreled action that I dropped into a MDT LSS Chassis, now they come pretty much that way. I really like the cartridge, and the LSS let me put an AR style adjustable stock on it for kids and grands to use. It’s worked out well so far. Recoil is about 243 like, but it throws more bullet. Deadly on deer to 250 or so, so far with the 123SST.

I‘m betting that mini-Mauser and the Grendel will grow on you, due to your intended use.

Treerat-sniper

Lil-Rokslider
I have the 527 in commie-30, it shoots steel case junk ok & more expensive Win white box very well. I plan on working up some handloads for it this winter.

cz527.jpg

OP
grog24

grog24

Lil-Rokslider
For my 527 in 221 Fireball, it took sometime to smooth out the action. Just over 100 rounds and some running of the bolt at home did the trick. I have grown to like the set trigger, that took about 100 prairie dogs... I use it about 90% of the time set now. So maybe give that some time, but if planning on kids using it, I might not have them use the set mode as it’s real light. Mine came with an above average piece of walnut with some figure, which is why I ended up with it. Accuracy with its favored load is excellent, .3 moa ish, which it holds to 300 if I do my part.

I do shoot a Grendel, mine is on a Howa mini barreled action that I dropped into a MDT LSS Chassis, now they come pretty much that way. I really like the cartridge, and the LSS let me put an AR style adjustable stock on it for kids and grands to use. It’s worked out well so far. Recoil is about 243 like, but it throws more bullet. Deadly on deer to 250 or so, so far with the 123SST.

I‘m betting that mini-Mauser and the Grendel will grow on you, due to your intended use.
Great news on accuracy potential. I’ve read mixed reviews on 123SST (including this exact thread). I’m a neck shooter so I think they will do exactly what I want - catastrophic damage in a small amount of area. My box of bullets just showed up. Just waiting on lapua brass now before cooking up some loads.

OP
grog24

grog24

Lil-Rokslider
Since posting the above thread I have: installed Warner medium rings (5.3oz)
Installed SWFA UL scope on it (9.3oz) - thanks to Hill Difficulty (great seller)

6lb 10.8oz scoped and unloaded (does not include suppressor weight)
I also weighed the synthetic stock if anyone is interested: 2lb 3.6oz

If one wanted ultralight, the rings could have material removed (I’d assume 1.0oz) and the stock has material that could be removed too.. I’m just not counting EVERY ounce on this build.

BIGGEST UPDATE: Reworked trigger - BIC lighter spring replacement, and adjusting settings. 11oz crystal clean break... literally best trigger I’ve ever felt. 0 creep, essentially 0 over travel. Better than my trigger tech and jewell. Just WOW. I had one friend that wouldn’t believe that was a slightly reworked factory trigger. It’s that good.

Brass is back ordered, so sadly no range time yet...

Did call and confirm with CZ USA customer support (uninspiring individual whose name I won’t mention) that the stock is coated with “some rubber coating.. I don’t know what” .. when asked about removal of coating or cerakote application “I don’t know”. - per CZ. I called twice trying to hopefully get someone else who was more enthusiastic or knowledgeable but it didn’t happen. When asked about crooked stock remedy and if it was common (which I know it is) he said he “didn’t know”.. and he didn’t offer to replace or fix it (I wasn’t pushing or asking for that though).

My experience with CZ customer support was essentially “welcome to Costco, I love you” - if anyone’s seen the movie “Idiocracy”... I’m not upset and I’ve heard great things from others about CZ customer support so I wouldn’t let that discourage anyone.

This gun is great.

Attachments

• E62D288C-FBF9-4ABC-99CD-D1CEFB5B302A.jpeg
    E62D288C-FBF9-4ABC-99CD-D1CEFB5B302A.jpeg
    362.3 KB · Views: 22

TxxAgg

WKR
Thanks for reporting back on the trigger. That is reassuring.

Regarding the stock, have you tried disasembling the gun and reassembling using a torque wrench and holding the barrel center of stock while tightening. I've had some luck doing that with Vanguards that were a little off kilter.

B23

WKR
As I mentioned before and you now know the trigger in these CZ 527 is fully adjustable and the spring change is a popular one. I've heard of many doing the Bic lighter spring swap just never used one myself. The springs I get from James Calhoon he only charges two bucks each and usually adds an extra so I've always used those. Calhoon is kind of a CZ 527 specialty guy although I'm not sure how much actual work he himself does now days but if you ever have any CZ questions he may be able to help. If nothing else he's funny as hell to talk to but maybe not so much if you're easily offended because he pretty much says what's on his mind.

Just be careful you don't get to little sear engagement, that's the screw on the back side, or you could potentially have bump or slam fires. If I can't hold the gun a few inches off the concrete floor then let the butt thump on the ground a few times in a row without the trigger breaking I increase sear engagement until I can.

OP
grog24

grog24

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for reporting back on the trigger. That is reassuring.

Regarding the stock, have you tried disasembling the gun and reassembling using a torque wrench and holding the barrel center of stock while tightening. I've had some luck doing that with Vanguards that were a little off kilter.
I’ll try this and report back

OP
grog24

grog24

Lil-Rokslider
As I mentioned before and you now know the trigger in these CZ 527 is fully adjustable and the spring change is a popular one. I've heard of many doing the Bic lighter spring swap just never used one myself. The springs I get from James Calhoon he only charges two bucks each and usually adds an extra so I've always used those. Calhoon is kind of a CZ 527 specialty guy although I'm not sure how much actual work he himself does now days but if you ever have any CZ questions he may be able to help. If nothing else he's funny as hell to talk to but maybe not so much if you're easily offended because he pretty much says what's on his mind.

Just be careful you don't get to little sear engagement, that's the screw on the back side, or you could potentially have bump or slam fires. If I can't hold the gun a few inches off the concrete floor then let the butt thump on the ground a few times in a row without the trigger breaking I increase sear engagement until I can.
James Calhoon was the one who I called haha. He was a hoot. He said to just use BIC miniature lighter springs because that’s what he uses (has to be a mini BIC not a full size one) so we are on the same page there.

In regards to sear engagement - I’ve checked it every which way, slamming butt stock end on ground, safety on safety off a dozen times while roughing her up, tapping firmly the back of the bolt with a rubber mallet with no issues... also, my hunting routine lends itself to safety. No bullet in chamber until animal I intend to shoot is in sight. Not perfect but it helps. No loaded chamber will traveling/walking etc.

Reactions: B23

B23

WKR
With regard to the centering in the barrel channel. I know on my walnut stocked 527's CZ does kind of a half assed recoil lug bedding job from the factory and for the most part all of the 527's I've had it looked like Ray Charles squirted some bedding material in the recoil lug recess area of the stock and they just slapped the barreled action in and tightened it up. If yours has that bedding compound in the recoil lug recess area and it's built up on one side a little more than the other it could cause the barrel to be shoved/pivoted over to one side instead of sitting centered. It could be worth taking a look at.

B23

WKR
James Calhoon was the one who I called haha. He was a hoot. He said to just use BIC miniature lighter springs because that’s what he uses (has to be a mini BIC not a full size one) so we are on the same page there.
I haven't talked to him in over a year but it sounds like he's still going strong and hasn't changed a bit. I can't say what he said but the last time I talked to him he had me laughing so damn hard because he was pissed at the UPS guy that I about fell out of my chair. James is a real character and though we don't always agree, chatting with him is like you said, a real hoot.

OP
grog24

grog24

Lil-Rokslider
With regard to the centering in the barrel channel. I know on my walnut stocked 527's CZ does kind of a half assed recoil lug bedding job from the factory and for the most part all of the 527's I've had it looked like Ray Charles squirted some bedding material in the recoil lug recess area of the stock and they just slapped the barreled action in and tightened it up. If yours has that bedding compound in the recoil lug recess area and it's built up on one side a little more than the other it could cause the barrel to be shoved/pivoted over to one side instead of sitting centered. It could be worth taking a look at.
Mine is the synthetic stock with no bedding. I got a walnut factory takeoff on the way to replace it (going to refinish and bed it) so I’ll take a look the factory “Ray Charles” job haha

OP
grog24

grog24

Lil-Rokslider
I've been wanting one myself. Did not know about the backwards safety. Thats a dealer killer for me.
As in a "safety issue" in more ways than one.
Well glad this review helped you out.

It’s weird coming from mostly shooting Remington 700 and it could lend itself to a funky situation in the field.
PURE speculation but I feel like the situation would be a scenario trying to hurry and disengage safety (pushing forward) only to find its already there.

RTL1760

FNG
OP was there any range time and review of function/performance/accuracy for the rifle? Looking at getting one myself and was curious.