CZ Redhead Premier

Haackea1

FNG
Does anyone own or have any experience with the CZ Redhead Premier? I haven’t found substantial reviews on their O/U so hoping for more firsthand experience.

I have access to a fairly decent discount with military so I am considering picking one up for pheasant hunting.

I am open to other recommendations as well, but need to keep it below a grand to keep the wife happy.

kevlar88

Lil-Rokslider
I shot a buddies Ringneck custom grade about a decade ago. From what I remember it was a nice gun compared to everything else out there, but then again I'm no shotgun expert. I do like CZ's though and currently own a few; a 527 varmint in .223, a 557 in 30/06, a 550 in 375, a 75 SP01 in 9mm and a Dan Wesson pistol pack in 357 if that counts. They have all been flawless guns with better then average wood then what I compared to other factory production rifles. Sorry I'm no help with the Redhead just thought I'd let you know my experience with CZ in general. Also, CZ has a military discount?

OP
H

Haackea1

FNG
I appreciate the detailed response.

CZ, Savage and Barrett all have pretty nice military discounts for active duty that supersede incremental promotions Glock, S&W and others run-and usually better than what you’ll find elsewhere. You can find them on their main page or with a little googling. Barrett’s access is pretty strict compared to the others though.

86indy

Lil-Rokslider
They are made by huglu from what I remember when I researched then about 6 months ago. Nothing wrong with them but I just decided to wait to find a used classic doubles gun, They are priced conservatively and the better end of turkish manufacturing from my reading. Hope that helps a bit.

Edit- I love my cz455 .22 but from my understanding they dont out source production on those, they're actually made in Czech.

kevlar88

Lil-Rokslider
I appreciate the detailed response.

CZ, Savage and Barrett all have pretty nice military discounts for active duty that supersede incremental promotions Glock, S&W and others run-and usually better than what you’ll find elsewhere. You can find them on their main page or with a little googling. Barrett’s access is pretty strict compared to the others though.

Thanks a bunch, I knew about Glock and S&W but not CZ or Barrett. I'm not active duty but my wife is. I'll keep it in mind if she ever thinks she needs something new.

rmrwade

FNG
I have the cz sxs and it works flawlessly. not the gun my other ithica skb is but its way less money. dont like the extractors prefer ejectors but that is what I am used to.

I have had a few cz's. I think for the most part they are a good gun for the money. I currently have a cz wingshooter in 20 ga. It's a great gun. That one was ordered unseen and turned out to be a great gun, functionally. It has a bunch of detail work on it, looks nice from a distance, up close it's not so great, not bad. Everyone seems to think it's too pretty to hunt with. To me it's what it is, high end shotgun from turkey.

I had issues with a few. The safety would slide around funny. The ones where the safety was the barrel selector seemed to be the problem. My wingshooter has a switch on top of the safety that is a barrel selector. It's not easy to select a barrel. I just leave it on the top barrel. But the ones with a traditional safety that is also a barrel selector (kinda rotates left or right) I have had issues with. They kinda get stuck in a middle position, not permanent, but you flick the safety off and go to shoot and it doesn't engage anything. These were earlier production guns I believe that I actually purchased after I had gotten the wingshooter.

If I could handle one in a store and feel the safety, making sure it isn't sloppy, preferably even drop a few snap caps in it. I wouldn't hesitate to purchase another if everything seemed to function properly and the trigger wasn't terrible. I also know a guy who has been hunting with a huglo for at least 15 years. It's his dove and duck gun. Don't know what model it is other than 12 ga. I have handled it and it seems to be a well put together gun. I believe it was brought over by a family member from overseas. I don't know the whole story on it but I know it has been a good gun for him.

Hope that helps.

If I were you I think I would look for something used possibly. I got a Browning cynergy less than a year ago for under your price point. If you handle a citori and like the feel of them a Winchester 101 and a skb have a similar feel. Those are 3 good o/u that should easily be within your price range. Didn't say what you plan to use it for. So don't know if steel capable is important or not. Fixed or screw in chokes?

Last edited:
OP
H

Haackea1

FNG
I have had a few cz's. I think for the most part they are a good gun for the money. I currently have a cz wingshooter in 20 ga. It's a great gun. That one was ordered unseen and turned out to be a great gun, functionally. It has a bunch of detail work on it, looks nice from a distance, up close it's not so great, not bad. Everyone seems to think it's too pretty to hunt with. To me it's what it is, high end shotgun from turkey.

I had issues with a few. The safety would slide around funny. The ones where the safety was the barrel selector seemed to be the problem. My wingshooter has a switch on top of the safety that is a barrel selector. It's not easy to select a barrel. I just leave it on the top barrel. But the ones with a traditional safety that is also a barrel selector (kinda rotates left or right) I have had issues with. They kinda get stuck in a middle position, not permanent, but you flick the safety off and go to shoot and it doesn't engage anything. These were earlier production guns I believe that I actually purchased after I had gotten the wingshooter.

If I could handle one in a store and feel the safety, making sure it isn't sloppy, preferably even drop a few snap caps in it. I wouldn't hesitate to purchase another if everything seemed to function properly and the trigger wasn't terrible. I also know a guy who has been hunting with a huglo for at least 15 years. It's his dove and duck gun. Don't know what model it is other than 12 ga. I have handled it and it seems to be a well put together gun. I believe it was brought over by a family member from overseas. I don't know the whole story on it but I know it has been a good gun for him.

Hope that helps.

If I were you I think I would look for something used possibly. I got a Browning cynergy less than a year ago for under your price point. If you handle a citori and like the feel of them a Winchester 101 and a skb have a similar feel. Those are 3 good o/u that should easily be within your price range. Didn't say what you plan to use it for. So don't know if steel capable is important or not. Fixed or screw in chokes?

Thanks for the insight.... I'm looking for an all-around multipurpose "fun gun" that can send rounds consistently. My primary purpose is to get into pheasant hunting, but I also plan to use it for the occasional sporting clays with my wife. I have a semi auto and pump 12 gauge already, but looking for something different :) Screw in chokes.

Thanks for the insight.... I'm looking for an all-around multipurpose "fun gun" that can send rounds consistently. My primary purpose is to get into pheasant hunting, but I also plan to use it for the occasional sporting clays with my wife. I have a semi auto and pump 12 gauge already, but looking for something different :) Screw in chokes.

I would go to a store and handle several. Try to find a store that has a large selection of used guns. I don't like the fat forearm on a lot of the o/u's. That's what I prefer about the cynergy. If it were me I would probably spend the money on an older o/u like a Browning, Winchester, SKB, or if you found a deal a Beretta. But the Beretta will likely be out of your budget. Of course with a budget of 1k you might be well served saving some money on the gun if it allows you more practice. A few flats of ammo and time on a range will do more for you than spending more on a gun.

I normally don't deal with Cabela's but their gun library is Handy for finding older shotguns. They will ship to a store near you if that is an option.

I own a redhead premier reduced LOP that I bought for my 10 year old son. I’d second everything that Billy Goat said. It’s a solid gun for the money, but the trigger leaves a lot to be desired. Fit and finish are just OK. If I had it to do over again, I would meet my budget by looking for a used gun from a slightly higher end manufacturer.

Since Billy Goat mentioned the Cynergy, in particular—another son of mine has a Cynergy Micro Midas. I really like it. I know some guys don’t care for the styling, but I actually prefer the looks and feel of a Cynergy to a Citori.