D-19 Opener Success

cjdewese

WKR
Decided to finally start to learn how to shoot a compound bow and hunt this year during the Carona Virus lock down. I bought my bow on May 15th and started getting better and better.

I have lived in D-19 my whole life and have a pretty good idea of where the deer are during different times of the year in my area. Luckily I grew up hiking and can tell you where most of the water in the zone is so that part was easy but I had no idea about specific bedding locations or when exactly they are there.

I was lucky enough to convince the wife that I NEEDED some camera's to help with the scouting. After many many miles of hiking and thousands of photos I had an idea of which trails I wanted to hunt. I made a makeshift ground blind near my favorite and prepped it a week before opening day.

I was in the "blind" by 5:15 patiently waiting trying to psych myself up about the fact that I had put in the work and this might actually go down. At 6:20 I saw my 1st doe coming down the trail I wanted to shoot from at 19 yards followed by a small forky 2 more does and a bigger forky all they needed to do was continue down the trail to my shooting lane like they had on every video I have of this trail.

Apparently Deer don't listen. Before I knew it all 5 deer were within 10 yards of me walking right towards my blind. As I tried to slowly pull the bow back to shoot the bigger forky one of the does wheezed and they all scattered with the bigger of the two forkies going up the hill a bit above my 2nd shooting lane at 26 yards and just kind of waited for a minute or two before finally starting to walk back down.

I was able to draw without him even noticing I was there and he didn't even move until the arrow had already gone through him, he ran off and I heard him crash a few seconds later.

After about 30 minutes of trying to calm my nerves and wait to let him do his thing I went to where I shot him and was able to find my arrow buried into the hillside covered in blood. I knew where he had ran out so I started looking for blood, found a pretty good blood trail and was able to find him after about 5 minutes of looking once I lost the blood trail.

Found him piled up less than 50 yards from where I shot him. What a freaking 1st day ever of hunting. Now I get to slow down a little and find a better buck with my 2nd tag.

I know a lot of people will say this was luck and no question there was some involved but I have lived here 37 years and hiked miles and miles to do the scouting that led to this. Anyone can do it, just need to put in the time and believe in yourself.

Good Luck!!!

Attachments

• 1st Deer 2020 2x2.jpg
    1st Deer 2020 2x2.jpg
    322.5 KB · Views: 196
  • 1st Deer 2020 2x2 Trail Camera.JPG
    1st Deer 2020 2x2 Trail Camera.JPG
    230 KB · Views: 183
Last edited:
OP
C

cjdewese

WKR
Thank you guys. Added a bonus picture of him on camera a few days before.

Most new hunters in Southern Ca take at least five years to harvest their first deer. So wow, huge congratulations to you!!!!!! Awesome job!

OP
C

cjdewese

WKR
Most new hunters in Southern Ca take at least five years to harvest their first deer. So wow, huge congratulations to you!!!!!! Awesome job!

Thanks, I appreciate that.

I had read a lot about how difficult it was, especially with a bow, but everyone that I saw just said put in the time, hike away from the roads and try to find non pressured deer. Luckily was able to find most of that during July, and really started to narrow down where exactly I was going to hunt in August. Very happy to have my 1st done, looking forward to more as the hobby continues.

mod700

Lil-Rokslider
Congrats on getting it done, rare that a guys gets his first bow buck, first time out, but you pulled it off. Your time and dedication payed off, good luck on #2.
Mike

NMframed

Lil-Rokslider
Congrats on your first buck! Sounds like your hard work and scouting and planning worked to perfection. Great story, thanks for sharing!