d loop or shoot off string??

warhawk07

FNG
Hello,

Quit bowhunting in about 2007 when my then 5th grader started playing football. he is still playing in college today but with the Covid situation the season was canceled. so, for the first time since 07, we had an open fall so got back into bowhunting whitetails in WI.

I have an old Mathews Q2 that i used this fall, and since im now back into the game im looking at updating my equipment. I'll give my son the Q2 to use until he can afford to buy his own. looking at a new mathews vxr/v3 etc. this gets to my question(s)..i have never shot a d loop, always shot directly off the string with a caliper release. is everyone using a d loop nowadays?? are the new shorter ATA, lower brace height bows designed to shoot off the string at all?? are the new higher end releases (Carter/Spot Hogg etc) designed to shoot d loop only??

anyway, ive been out of the game for a while and before i head in to buy a new bow just trying to get my thoughts together on set up found lots of good info on sights, rests etc on the site here

oh, as an aside...its a b>>> getting old. im in my mid 50's now and had to ask a buddy if it was socially acceptable to turn back the limbs on the Q2 a couple turns, i struggled pulling 70 ibs of draw weight haha

Yes, most everything is setup to be using a d-loop. Both releases and bows.

I don't see a negative to them, they hold up better than serving.

Rob5589

WKR
D loop all the way. I used to shot 80lbs in my early 20's. 66lbs is where I am at now and that is plenty. And welcome back. Been a few changes since 2007. 😁

JoshOR

Lil-Rokslider
D-loop! It’s a sweet improvement IMO. I’m in the same boat, got going again last spring, been a ton of fun and learning. Enjoy it!

GatorGar247

Lil-Rokslider
I shot off the string for years. I finally got tired of takin my string off to add the rubber grommets. Once I started shooting a loop my groups actually improved.

SharpEnd

FNG
D-loop for sure. Much more flexibility, won't wear out the serving, and can be used to micro-tune your draw length if necessary.
Regarding draw weight - 50 lbs is plenty! Dial back as much as necessary to get consistent and accurate in your shot placement. You'll be fine with any draw weight 50-60 (at least for most game in the USA within 40 yards) and your shoulders will be happier.

Last edited:

Joe Holden

Lil-Rokslider
D-loop is more common than off the string. Helps create more equal pressure above & below nocking point as well as all other benefits listed above.

Draw weight: I just dropped from a 79# bow to a 65#. Don't tell the deer though. They haven't seemed to notice.