D14 TrailCam Check-In

TheGDog

WKR
Cool... so the new place in D14, TrailCam confirms there are at least 3 legal young 2x2's. Caught a Young Bear coming thru @2am, and a Mama Doe that looks like she had Twins!

Getting out of the truck today, Son of a b*tch if a Coyote don't come down outta uphill and take to walking right smack dab down the middle of the Road so I can't try to take him out!

Then, while exploring another water source and looking around for where to move the TrailCam over to, I'm walking along down a closed off road, whose asphalt terminates and continues on in dirt. Thankfully I always remind myself to lookup and around while hiking in. BOOP! a Doe, maybe 40yds off the road. Just as I looked over and saw her, another few steps and she was out of view, so curious to see where she'd go I immediately went to a sit as quietly as I could, then waited. Took awhile, but eventually she proceeded along with her day. Not very nervy, but did elect to walk a lil more back in and uphill before turning and going out of site.

OH And then!... I'm driving back on out in the afternoon and oh sh*t there's a Doe electing to eat fallen acorns right freaking there at the end of the trail right where it stops at the Road/Hwy! So I go up a lil bit to find a place to U-turn, put the phone on Video record and proceed back! Didn't see her on trip back up. After passing the spot she was at by a lil....turn around again.... this time recorded her standing right at the edge of the road looking at me. I'm happy to say that after I passed, recording her, she then decided to cross the Road/Hwy... and I watched in my rearview as she successfully did! So good to know she made it across without incident.

EK000059.JPGEK000061.JPGEK000093.JPGEK000079.JPGEK000080.JPGEK000081.JPGEK000028.JPG

And the Doe by the side of the Road/Hwy...
DoeRightAtSideOfRoad.jpg

Scout those acorn trees hard. They’re like crack to deer and bears and not many western guys are keyed into them

OP
TheGDog

TheGDog

WKR
Gary, I am glad to see you are on top of it again
Thank you sir. Coming from you, a definite compliment.

Although on this last visit, this maybe mid-30's dude came thru with his dog and tried to cop an attitude of "I don't think you can do that here." (meaning hunt there, I was just about to setup for predator calling, hoping I could call back in the yote that passed by on the road), To which I'm like, "Here, yes you can. This is public. Over that way is the private owned by them. And I know there are those campsites or cabins down the hill from here, but as long as I'm 150yds away from them, I'm good." And not like a projectile could go much more than 200yds in any direction where I'm at in there as best I can tell. Besides... if any of them come hiking thru (and it's been precious little on the cam.) then any game would go away... so that right there would protect them from ever being anywhere in the vicinity of a shot placed by me. I dunno what it is about that certain clique of people out here man. If it involves a gun being carried, or fur getting hurt?... Man they get this worked up "Karen" vibe start to swell-up within them.

OP
TheGDog

TheGDog

WKR
Scout those acorn trees hard. They’re like crack to deer and bears and not many western guys are keyed into them
Oh yeah... I noticed early on (in other places) how lot of the deer are smart and visit places where a slope comes to an end at a road, and ends up having all these acorns and pine cones gathered in a big clump in one spot for easy pickin's. You'll sometimes even be following along their tracks along a road as they mosey on down to the next spot where an oak is beside the roads edge again dumping easy pickin's.

And I figure also... since technically you're not supposed to shoot across a "road" even though we're talking ones that have long since been closed off to those without privilege... still you figure some of those deer have probably learned/noticed that humans mess with em less when they're along these particular roadsides since they're closed off to most traffic. Especially if a rock slide has happened recently that they haven't cleared yet. They get to enjoy this nice long road likely all to themselves vast majority of the time. If one where so inclined I'm sure there'd be a legal way to eventually create some "Red Asphalt" in some of those places like that. Like if you were posted up high looking steeply down upon them on same side of the road perhaps.

Just keep in mind that hunter harassment is illegal; you might need to inform them of that. I started carrying a body cam on me. It is amazing how people change once they realize I have a body cam. I have had people ask me what it is. I can set it to be audible when it turns on, and it says camera recording; I turned it on as one douche approached me. He heard it and it instantly changed his attitude.

OP
TheGDog

TheGDog

WKR
I'd rather they talk to me so that at least they can see I'm a well-spoken and articulate individual. Half the time I think they're just running off stereotypes anyway. Also I have no desire to see any govt official because there's always some where they can cause a hassle for you if they feel like it.

JakeSCH

WKR
Some big deer up there, I miss hunting it but I can't talk myself into a tag that is a 3 hour drive when I can hunt 45 minutes away.

OP
TheGDog

TheGDog

WKR
I totally feel you on that point. This D14 spot seems maybe either equi-distant or less than the D15 spot I used to go to. Plus its just great to have found a spot that has two water sources! I won't trust that they'll be there yet. I want to continue observing them summer into fall and see if they persist thru out the year. But if they do persist that can help me stay out here longer and not have to solely rely on water I carry in. Like I'm used to. Plus it's not quite as loud to walk around in this D14 spot! In that D15 spot the ground is loud as hell. You HAVE to go in and pick a spot and not move. Whereas I dunno, here in this D14 spot, I think a little bit of stalking could be possible if needed.

OP
TheGDog

TheGDog

WKR
One thing I've noticed is that it's a different species of oak up there. There leaves look interesting and are very "busy" in their design/shape. Those leave don't look like the "Potato-chip" leaves all over the place in the D15 spot, since it was essentially all scrub oaks, and some other species of oak that made tall thick trees with very light bark.

Here the branches with leaves on them start very near to the ground as well. Anyhoo, big take away is that the oaks up in this D14 spot looks much more substantial short-fat acorns to eat than the more long cylindrical ones at that other D15 locale.