D19???

Took my son for an overnight camp and fish trip to Lake Hemet. Just got back home today. I have never ventured off past the lake boundaries but on the way up and on the way home I couldnt help but notice some areas that look potential for holding deer. Lots of old burned areas with new growth, water, etc. Just curious if anybody has any experience with this zone/area?

JakeSCH

WKR
When I camped there about 15 years ago and saw a half dozen large bucks grazing on the opposite side of the lake....road horses up there about 5 years ago and spotted a couple nice bucks.

I haven't personally hunted there but considering it this year since I spaced out and didn't buy a second D16 tag.

OP
aeverett152
When you rode horses up there were those bucks up high? I'm assuming they are up high during archery season and get pushed down once the rut hits and the snow comes down.

JakeSCH

WKR
They are going to be all elevations...from badlands to the the mountain peak. Hunting season ends before snow arrives.

True "rut" isn't until after the season is over as well.

OP
aeverett152
Ok. I have been hunting archery in sd county since 2014 so this will be nice to mix it up a little bit. Def will need to hit the trails a bit before season starts.