Dads Premier Idaho Mule Deer tag

Pwells10

WKR
Dad ended up scoring an absolute stud idaho tag this year. Been trying to draw for 15+ years on this tag. This year was his year.

Scouting time (end of September). Ended up spotting some great bucks before the opener. Friends even sent in pics of monsters one in the 220-230 range.

Opening day, we drove around because of the influx of hunters ripping around. Seen quite a few bucks nothing that should be taken in this unit on opening day. 1018200723.jpg

Midway through the season we run up a trail on the other side of the unit. Absolutely no one there. Awesome.

We start up this mountain dad infront, when he stops and looks back at me, "did you just throw a rock at me?" Why the hell would i throw a rock at him? Lol he has to sit down in pain because of his calf. He can't go up hill anymore. Why? Well, that night he gets checked, and he pulled the muscle away from his Achilles. Great. Back to the main part. We head down (down hill doesn't hurt. Weird I know.) So we just walk the trail. End up coming along on this wheeler. Shit. Someone's here.

We decide to go past and hunt further down. As we pass, we see the wheelers wheel is off. We go to investigate. No plates, no winch, handle bar bent and registration from 2015 in utah. (This is idaho). I take the info down think it's either stolen or insurance claim)

We keep hunting and find a decent buck, nothing to take at this time. 1018201143_HDR.jpg

Forward to the end of the season. Yesterday and today. Dad and uncle did 6 miles in the morning seen NO deer. And on his bad leg. I call him at 4 when I got off and ask how it went. He tells me. I could tell he was discouraged. I asked "you wanna go out tonight?" He says sure and I head over after getting all my gear.

We end up leaving his house at 5:20. Sunset is at 6:20. Hardly any time. We get up there, wind is howling 30mph+ like it had all season. Just a rough year with the wind. Kept all the big guys in hiding for the most part.

End up getting up top just to glass the bowls and low sage and junipers. End up spotting 6 does come out of the "purple shit". Just what we call it. Kept watching and they scatter... What the hell? And this 4 point, comes out, nose to the ground, thick neck. Hes been rutring hard.

Now he's chasing these does and boom. Gone. Into the purple. 1030202026.jpg

So we rush. Grab what we need and head over the edge. Gotta get to the edge so he doesnt come out above us.

We get there. And nothing. Dont hear anything pr see. I tell my dad,

"hey, screw getting this on cam, its second to last day. I'll get up head down and push the purple shit and him up to you."

He obliges "ok sounds good"

I get up and his does are 50 yards below us. They see me and absolute mayhem occurs. Does left and right, us looking, scanning back and fourth.

Has busts out across the hill side on a light trot. I whistle, I "meh", whoop, hollar. Nothing phased him.

Side note. My dad has a 1990s model 70. $30 Bushnell scope. Never shoots. Hasnt rifle hunted in 6 years. Hates otc because of the pressure. Not worth it to him. But he knows his rifle. And is the best off hand shot I have ever seen.

At 200 yards, on a light trot, "BOOM". He nose dives this poor buck, double lunged him end of story.

I couldn't pull this shot off in a million years! But he can, at any time in any weather. Rediculous shot.
1030202027.jpg

The look on my dads face. Priceless. Cant believe it worked. 15 years of waiting, applying, grinding this season out on top. Yes, not the buck we were looking for, and a below average quality for this unit, but a damn good buck id never pass on otc.

1030201950.jpg

Packout was fun lol. Call,my uncle to bring in another frame. We end up deciding two trips wont work due to the 10° incline. (Honestly dont know, but stupid steep layered with purple shit)

We cut this mature buck in half and load each half onto a frame. I had the upper half, uncle had the lower. Man what a joy of not boning out or quartering.lol.
Resized_2020103095202326.jpeg

Overall, I havent seen my dad this excited in a long time. It's been 14 years since hes shot a deer. Between letting me and my sister shoot, it was definitely his turn. He earned it.
20201030_185343.jpg

I couldnt ask for a better dad. This buck is special. The FIRST time I have ever been with my dad when he killed. Anything. I was always back in school or in sports when he shot something. 2020 isnt that bad.

Resized_20201030_211943.jpeg

Fowler530

WKR
Congrats to your dad on that special buck and awesome shot!! Glad you were able to be there to share the experience with him! Thanks for sharing!🤙

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sounds like an amazing trip. Congratulations! Thanks for sharing the moment.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for the story, and congrats to your dad. What a shot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sweet love to hear these famdamily stories it helps to remind me to put the brakes on my own hunting obsessions and spend more of the season with my old man whilst he’s around. So thanks for the great story and killer shot dad.

hoyt-guy

Lil-Rokslider
Congrats to your dad on his buck! Nothing better than hunting with family. That's as good as it gets!

Buck197

WKR
Dad ended up scoring an absolute stud idaho tag this year. Been trying to draw for 15+ years on this tag. This year was his year.

Scouting time (end of September). Ended up spotting some great bucks before the opener. Friends even sent in pics of monsters one in the 220-230 range.

Opening day, we drove around because of the influx of hunters ripping around. Seen quite a few bucks nothing that should be taken in this unit on opening day. View attachment 229001

Midway through the season we run up a trail on the other side of the unit. Absolutely no one there. Awesome.

We start up this mountain dad infront, when he stops and looks back at me, "did you just throw a rock at me?" Why the hell would i throw a rock at him? Lol he has to sit down in pain because of his calf. He can't go up hill anymore. Why? Well, that night he gets checked, and he pulled the muscle away from his Achilles. Great. Back to the main part. We head down (down hill doesn't hurt. Weird I know.) So we just walk the trail. End up coming along on this wheeler. Shit. Someone's here.

We decide to go past and hunt further down. As we pass, we see the wheelers wheel is off. We go to investigate. No plates, no winch, handle bar bent and registration from 2015 in utah. (This is idaho). I take the info down think it's either stolen or insurance claim)

We keep hunting and find a decent buck, nothing to take at this time. View attachment 229006

Forward to the end of the season. Yesterday and today. Dad and uncle did 6 miles in the morning seen NO deer. And on his bad leg. I call him at 4 when I got off and ask how it went. He tells me. I could tell he was discouraged. I asked "you wanna go out tonight?" He says sure and I head over after getting all my gear.

We end up leaving his house at 5:20. Sunset is at 6:20. Hardly any time. We get up there, wind is howling 30mph+ like it had all season. Just a rough year with the wind. Kept all the big guys in hiding for the most part.

End up getting up top just to glass the bowls and low sage and junipers. End up spotting 6 does come out of the "purple shit". Just what we call it. Kept watching and they scatter... What the hell? And this 4 point, comes out, nose to the ground, thick neck. Hes been rutring hard.

Now he's chasing these does and boom. Gone. Into the purple. View attachment 229007

So we rush. Grab what we need and head over the edge. Gotta get to the edge so he doesnt come out above us.

We get there. And nothing. Dont hear anything pr see. I tell my dad,

"hey, screw getting this on cam, its second to last day. I'll get up head down and push the purple shit and him up to you."

He obliges "ok sounds good"

I get up and his does are 50 yards below us. They see me and absolute mayhem occurs. Does left and right, us looking, scanning back and fourth.

Has busts out across the hill side on a light trot. I whistle, I "meh", whoop, hollar. Nothing phased him.

Side note. My dad has a 1990s model 70. $30 Bushnell scope. Never shoots. Hasnt rifle hunted in 6 years. Hates otc because of the pressure. Not worth it to him. But he knows his rifle. And is the best off hand shot I have ever seen.

At 200 yards, on a light trot, "BOOM". He nose dives this poor buck, double lunged him end of story.

I couldn't pull this shot off in a million years! But he can, at any time in any weather. Rediculous shot.
View attachment 229008

The look on my dads face. Priceless. Cant believe it worked. 15 years of waiting, applying, grinding this season out on top. Yes, not the buck we were looking for, and a below average quality for this unit, but a damn good buck id never pass on otc.

View attachment 229010

Packout was fun lol. Call,my uncle to bring in another frame. We end up deciding two trips wont work due to the 10° incline. (Honestly dont know, but stupid steep layered with purple shit)

We cut this mature buck in half and load each half onto a frame. I had the upper half, uncle had the lower. Man what a joy of not boning out or quartering.lol.
View attachment 229012

Overall, I havent seen my dad this excited in a long time. It's been 14 years since hes shot a deer. Between letting me and my sister shoot, it was definitely his turn. He earned it.
View attachment 229013

I couldnt ask for a better dad. This buck is special. The FIRST time I have ever been with my dad when he killed. Anything. I was always back in school or in sports when he shot something. 2020 isnt that bad.

View attachment 229014
That is awesome, congrats to your dad. I KNOW that rifle shot. I grabbed dad's Browning Bar .270 once and threw it up to shoot a deer, and that damned thing was off six or seven inches, the next day, he shoots a buck with a running shot offhand. Seen em do it more than I care to admit. Them old timers fool us in alot of ways. They were tough as nails, and could get most anythjng done.
Thanks for sharing this story, starts my day off right.

Travis907

WKR
Great story, lifetime of family memories made! Congratulations to you both on getting it done for your dad! Priceless!!