Daily, Supportive Shoes

Not sure if this is the right sub forum, but figured it would get the most views.

Does anyone have a good recommendation for day to day and work use shoes that have support and wont smoke your feet? I'm a machinist and stand on concrete at work 12 hours a day, and lately my low back and lower body have been just killing me.

Feet and health are important so price doesn't really matter.

Thanks Sliders

Owens

Lil-Rokslider
I sit barefoot at a desk all day, so no recent experience standing all day. I've seen and heard of folks who spend a lot of time standing wearing Hoka running shoes. They have several different versions. But the majority are quite cushioned. They are popular with the long distance running crowds. I personally run in the Hoka Challengers from time to time. They have a thick, cushy sole. Obviously they wouldn't work if steel toes are required for your job.

ETtikka

WKR
If you have a good podiatrist in your area, they can take a mold of your feet, and have custom inserts made, this combined with a shoe you have traditionally liked would be my best suggestion.
Inserts usually are not that much$, depending on insurance and how dr bills for them, quote by phone maybe??

Not sure if this is the right sub forum, but figured it would get the most views.

Does anyone have a good recommendation for day to day and work use shoes that have support and wont smoke your feet? I'm a machinist and stand on concrete at work 12 hours a day, and lately my low back and lower body have been just killing me.

Feet and health are important so price doesn't really matter.

Thanks Sliders
I'm a tradie and most days wear vibram five fingers.
If on concrete all day I'd wear Altra trainers/boots for the cold. I find they run half a size to a size small.
They also do a water resistant model.

I've never found a safety shoe/boot that didn't shag my feet.

Owens

Lil-Rokslider
Altras are good shoes too, they have a nice wide toe box which you may appreciate. One thing to be aware of though, they are a zero drop shoe (like the vibram five fingers). If you aren't familiar, that just means that your toes and heel are the same distance from the ground, the sole is a constant thickness. Altras will have more cushioning than the Fiver Fingers, but it will be the same across your foot.

In most shoes, the heal is higher than the toes. If you are coming from a healed boot, that could be a potential issue for you. Going from a high drop boot/shoe to zero drop can cause tightness in your calves and achilles. Though with that, they definitely work well for some people and you may find the same to be true for you. In the long run, a stretching and foam rolling routine may give you better results regardless which shoes you wear.

teamvit

Lil-Rokslider
I wear merrell jungle Mocs. The composite toe version has a better sole then the non composite toe. My feet are a mess and work very well for me

okiehunts

FNG
I work restoration work so a lot of construction type sites balanced with an equal amount of warehouse work. REDWINGS! Seriously get you the legit RW called the traction tred in whichever height you like, not Irish setters and then the appropriate superfeet soles and thank me later!! Easily the best all around boot I have found to work and some recreation use as well

Titan

WKR
I would not recommend going zero drop. I have seen that cause PF and other issues that take months to recover from. Not saying its bad, just not for everyone.

Hokas are great. I just bought a pair of the speedgoat mids and they are awesome. Ive been standing in 2-3" of water and no moisture is getting through. They have more cushioned models as well.

OP
Idaho4x4Bronco
How much life are you folks getting out og the Altra's? Looks like REI has them near me but they're $170.00 for the all weathers. Will these last 12 months in the PNW as daily shoe wear?