dall sheep 2020 advice

todd h

FNG
I hunted with max back 2010, ryan was my guide . we used bivy bags and tarps I hunted 3rd 10 day period. was successful hunt. no frills alot of hiking but all the guides were alaska residents. I stayed a couple of extra days just to enjoy the experience.

todd h

FNG
sorry I forgot comment on tent question, I would probably take a small light tent next time, I have used and like both floor and floorless shelters. go-lite shangra la 3

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
As said, there are opinions in every direction.

My opinion for sheep; Hilleberg, Hilleberg and then Hilleberg again! After waking up in standing water under my Hille Akto on a saddle way up high, I'm 100% sold on a tent. My pack was in the vestibule and soaked from the ground water. Inside the bathtub of my Akto I had some condensation under my sleeping pad but that's it. I was in a untreated down bag with very little wetting of insulation. In a tarp, same situation, hard to say.

A lot of guys complain about condensation on a Hille, I've never had an issue personally but I sleep with all vents open completely even in a storm. The wettest I've ever gotten inside a shelter was with a tarp. It got down below freezing, frosted hard, then warmed up to the 60's early in the day. It was raining inside the tarp but we fired up the wood stove and dried right out.

Troutbum, Moffats and Stid have a tremendous amount of time in tarps and their word is solid, clearly backed by their success. I will say though that if you're going to copy their gear list, copy the whole thing.

Again my opinion but a tent has much more room for forgiveness if you're less prepared. Even Mr. Snyder takes a Hilleberg sheep hunting and he makes tarps....

MtGomer

WKR
I own an Asolo and used it at base camp. Awesome tent but it was a little heavy especially for an early season hunt. Weather can be bad even early August but my experience it is not as cold as the later season tends to be.

I love Stone Glacier packs but one of my buddies had their tent fail on them on the opener this year under heavy winds. Too much lightweight materials can be too much of a good thing and have issues when it is real nasty out.

Creek crossings I use a set of Goretex type waist high wader. Not chest waders! They have stocking feet and I use as my “camp” shoes a pair of super lightweight high top Under Armor shoes. About 4 oz each shoe. Works great.

- - - Updated - - -

BTW there is a decent priced Hilli Akto on RokSlide classified section.

Did your buddy mention if they attached the fly to the poles in every spot possible? I found that, coupled with using all guy points, including the one above each vestibule greatly increase it’s wind worthiness.
We had one absolutely getting rocked above timberline in the Beartooth and it held solid.

As for the question about Akto vs Soulo... I have the Akto and it’s fine. If I had to spend a few weather days in it, I’d be wishing for the headroom of the Soulo.
The Akto is more to lay down and sleep in than live in.

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
The Akto is more to lay down and sleep in than live in.

I would agree with this statement. You can have your pack inside the vestibule and still cook but you aren't sitting up while doing it.

Ran my buddy’s SO Cimarron last October for archery in Chugach. Worked great for us. But we did have some really high winds a few nights. Took some effort to find good camp spots, and built a rock wall one night as a wind break. We were also hyper vigilant about proper staking, and putting heavy rocks to anchor the stakes. Had generally amazing weather but still discussed using a hilleberg or other more traditional floored 4 season next time we’re in there late season.

oenanthe

WKR
But we did have some really high winds a few nights. Took some effort to find good camp spots

And that's the key, right there - camp site selection. Folks who set up on a high ridge or right in a saddle are asking for trouble. When I camp in spots like that I always have a backup plan.

One of my favorite hunting spots has a little knoll up high in a valley, and it's a great spot to glass from. Unfortunately it catches an incredible amount of wind and my tent has just about been blown off of there several times. But just 200 yards away down in the twisty creek bottom there is a little meadow where the wind drops off dramatically. A couple times I've bailed off the high knoll when the wind was bad, and set up in the little meadow. Can't spot game from there but at least I can get some sleep! :D

Maverick940

Banned
Hi guys i have been a lurker here for a while and figured it was time to jump in. I have my dream hunt for Dall sheep booked with max schwab in Alaska for 2020. Looking for advice on some gear you guys have used on your sheep hunts and advice on sheep hunting overall. I am a elk hunter and normally log 150 to 200 miles in the mountians each fall. One of my biggest gear questions is to take a tent or take my so lbo floorless what are your thoughts. Thank you Jordan
Ice axe, external-frame packframe and good mule deer or elk hunting type boots. Try to keep your overall gear weight under 35 lbs. Expect BAD weather in August. Bring two paperback novels. Expect to not see a lot of sheep, but if your outfitter is honest, expect to see some rams.