Dall sheep caping questions

OP
F

FishfinderAK

Lil-Rokslider
Any idea how much that saw weighs? Are you using that blade for skull capping or is the a bone saw option?

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
ad1e3c41e3def1e572d3fc503ce4e301.jpg

db8ebafbf1968f38491a6a9e5cfdce83.jpg

When y’all say “turn” or “split” the ears, eyes, and lips how exactly or what exactly does that mean? I’ve caped lots of different heads through the years and just cut as close to the skull as possible with leaving as much lip and eye lid on the cape as possible.

I’ve tried looking up taxidermy videos but no where can I find one that explains exactly what this means or how it’s done, or am I doing it correctly or incorrectly leaving as much lip and eye lid as possible? Anyone have a link to a good video or tutorial?

When y’all say “turn” or “split” the ears, eyes, and lips how exactly or what exactly does that mean? I’ve caped lots of different heads through the years and just cut as close to the skull as possible with leaving as much lip and eye lid on the cape as possible.

I’ve tried looking up taxidermy videos but no where can I find one that explains exactly what this means or how it’s done, or am I doing it correctly or incorrectly leaving as much lip and eye lid as possible? Anyone have a link to a good video or tutorial?
Nothing special with the eye's, just don't bugger them up. When it comes to the ears, you want to turn them, basically just skinning them out and removing the cartilage which turns them inside out when your done (this can be a difficult job to do right and not cut the ears up), the nose is done the same way but is usually easier. Splitting the lips is just that, splitting the lips from the inside of the hide to the edge of the lip (kind of like using a butterfly technique, if that makes any sense).