Dall sheep hunting Brooks Range

Indyal

Lil-Rokslider
Hi, I just found this forum researching sheep hunting in Alaska and have just registered. I met Lyle Becker of Alaska Skookum Guides at the Harrisburg Great Outdoor Show earlier this month. He had a cancelation opening and I have booked a hunt with him this August. I had been thinking I would be 2-4 years out.

I have done multiple elk hunts in OR, WY, ID and C) and 3 Aoudad hunts in New Mexico and TX so I feel I have some experience. most of the CO hunts have been DIY

I bought a Mystery Ranch Marshall for the trip(discounted since on close out) as my largest pack was a Kifaru Siwash and the recommended gear did not fit.

I sleep colder now than I used to when I was younger. I have a Therm-a-rest Neoair and older Wiggy's bag rated either 0 or 20 degrees, not sure now. I had had this bag since the mid 1990s. I used it in Alaska on a float hunt for moose in mid Sept and it worked well.

I will be using my .300WM as that is the only rifle I own that is larger caliber than a .22LR. I have great confidence in it and it is a sub MOA. I put a Jewel trigger in it set at 2.5 lbs. It is 10 lbs with scope however. But I don't really think I have the time to purchase a lighter rife and get comfortable with it before this August.

I am good to go on my clothing I believe. Mostly KUIU stuff. Boots are the Cabelas Meindl mountain boots which I believe are no longer offered and well broken it.

My main issue is that I will be 64 yo at the time of this hunt. I am more or less following the Man Ops training routing.

I have not seen on the posts I have read here so far but read somewhere else that it is a good idea to have a small candle to provide some heat for your hands.

I have a wide variety of reading interests and would appreciate any suggestions on book to read if weathered in and stuck in the tent.

Any other thoughts or suggestions about Dall sheep hunting would be appreciated.

Regards.

Only one Dall sheep hunt experience here, with second one booked. Train as hard as you can without risking injury. It will make your hunt more enjoyable. Find a way to train with a pack and gain elevation. I had wet feet most of my hunt. Extra socks would have been nice.

wyosteve

WKR
Rather than a candle, I always carry a small can of Sterno fuel in my pack. It lights easy, can warm hands and will stay lit to start a small fire if you need to. It doesn't weigh much and I've used it quite often.

I have one booked this August also I have been hiking with my pack every day when possible and getting my gear lightened up as much as possible. I feel like the better shape you are in and less weight you have to carry will make the trip more enjoyable. Can't wait to go. I have a feeling once I get home I will be trying to figure out how to go again. Good luck to you

Doc Holliday

WKR
Classified Approved
Good buddy of mine had the Cabelas Meindl a come apart after 3 days on a sheep hunt in the NWT. I recommend Kenetrek. You got plenty of time to break in some new boots.

Enjoy the planning and the excitement, it will be here before you know it!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

elkguide

WKR
Sounds like you're heading in the right direction. Keep reading on this forum. Lots of great advice and experience. 10 pounds is a lot for a sheep rifle. I agree with the .300 WM but I'd be getting one in the 8 pound range. Still have plenty of time to get used to it. I'd try and get in a couple of weighted, pack carrying miles in every day. As to Doc's comments on the Cabelas Meindl boots.... my first pair blew up like his friends. The replacement pair is still going strong after several hundred, mountain miles on them and I picked up another pair on closeout last fall. Whatever boot you choose to use, make sure that you get some miles on them as well. We will need a good write up with pictures too!!!!!

Good buddy of mine had the Cabelas Meindl a come apart after 3 days on a sheep hunt in the NWT. I recommend Kenetrek. You got plenty of time to break in some new boots.

Enjoy the planning and the excitement, it will be here before you know it!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
agree with Kenetrek! My Lowas fell apart

OP
Indyal

Indyal

Lil-Rokslider
thanks for the suggestions guys. My Cabelas Meindl boots seem to be in good shape still, I have hunted in them for about 8 years. I usually only get one 7 day out of state hunt done in a given year, so really only have about 4 months of wear in them. I have always heard good stuff about Kenetreks.

I keep thinking about a 6.5 CM ....

I missed the 10 lb rifle note. 6.5 CM is plenty for sheep, 300 WSM is a great cartridge too. If I had a 10lb sheep rifle, I would be looking to cut 2 to 2.5 pounds.

At sheep camp this year the guides agreed that kenetreks were probably the boot they have seen fall apart the quickest. One of the guides had a pair that was new that year and they looked rougher than any pair of mountain boots I’ve ever owned.

I wouldn’t shy away from the Meindls if you have put them through some rugged country and feel like they have plenty of life left.

Lyle is squared away. Hopefully you’ve been talking to him on your equipment. One thing I always see missing from work out schedules is getting your knees up. Think running in tires. Hiking tundra requires high knee action with every step, and you’re sinking at the same time. Sucks the wind right out of you. I’m 64 as well, I’m still guiding fly out fishing, protect and strengthen your knees.
guarantee if you buy a good minus 10 or 20 bag it’ll be warm. Take your old bag the weather goes south.

take Undaunted courage for reading.
have a great trip!

The Brooks range is one of the last great places on earth. Don’t forget to just stop and take it all in. Take a 5wt. Fly rod with you. As others have said take lots of pictures, I first saw that country in 61 with my dad, not sure if I’ll ever hunt there again but I sure love seeing pictures.

OP
Indyal

Indyal

Lil-Rokslider
Undaunted Courage is one of my favorite books. I particularly liked Capt Lewis comment about grizzly bears, “I find that the curiossity of our party is pretty well satysfied with rispect to this animal.”

Having spent 20 years guiding on the Alaska peninsula I agree with Capt. Lewis.
As to the 6.5, my dads favorite sheep rifle was his .264 WM. He took several Dall sheep and Caribou with it. He also killed a pretty good grizz on a sheep hunt with it. Dad worked his way through MIT as a small time prize fighter, survived Chosin reservoir. Wasn’t easily spooked. Always said the grizz with the 264 was a fight he shouldn’t have started.
Don’t know if you’re going to take advantage of being there and buy a bear tag, love my 6.5 not sure I’d pick a fight with one.
Regardless, you’ve booked with a good outfit, in my opinion the trip alone is worth the price of admission. Have a great trip and if you’ve never done so, spend a little time fishing for Arctic Char and Grayling.E32B7376-720E-4668-96E7-33393CB6BDB7.jpeg

MtGomer

WKR
Boots....what works for one guy may not work for another.
I wouldn’t take Kenetreks on a sheep hunt if I was paid to, because they don’t fit me. You could give me a million dollars to take them and I’d be putting my blistered feet in my crocs by the time I got off the strip.
If you’re thinking of switching boots you need to get them plenty early and see if they work for you. If the Meindl’s are in good shape and you know they’ll hold up and you like them, keep them. One less thing to worry about.