Dall sheep hunting Brooks Range

Leo17

FNG
No
Not at this point
Maybe you could try and find a couple last minute hunters. I know lots of guys that are itching to get away since Canada is shut down. It’s worth a shot. I’m willing to bet someone would fill those 2 spots.

MattB

WKR
A few things, bring trekking poles for sure. Can be life savers.

Gaiters can be very useful, I like Kuiu.

I personally wouldn't trust 7-8 year old boots for that sort of hunt. I've seen boot soles delaminate over time and they ate nothing you can easily repair in the field.

Your rifle and sleeping bag are porky, in terms of weight and bulk respectively. Might think about more svelte replacements.

Last edited:
Lots of very good advise given and I am probably stating something that's already been said.

1. Trekking poles are a must have. They really help get more of the body working instead of just the legs doing most of the work. They also really help with balance and help as much going down hill as going up.

2. If you have some quart sized freezer Zip-Loc bags take some of them with you. Put you cell phone in it if you don't have some other type of waterproof container. Maybe do the same with a small digital camera. Yes I would get a good quality point and shoot and take it in addition to your phone. Take lots of pictures with both. This is what I did on my grizzly hunt last fall.

3. In one of those quart size Zip-Loc bags put a bunch of larger size scentless butt wipes. They are great for the obvious but also are nice to clean hands and wipe your face to help "freshen you up". It does make a difference. They are sort of a mobile sponge bath! Also roll up in your hand off of a toilet paper roll quite a bit of TP. Put one roll in the same size Zip-Loc bags, and one roll in another and keep those in your pack. Yes your guide will have TP, but it is nice to have some of your own just in case. The larger quart size bags are just about perfect for a lot of uses. On my hunt I used a couple of them for garbage bags as well.

4. Hillsound micro spikes are tremendous for aiding in traction on steep slick or wet slopes. They are also very light and easy to carry in a pack. On a mountain goat hunt in Montana I used them numerous times. I need to clarify, I used the Kahtoola micro spikes shown below this picture. Each hunting season I also use them a lot deer and elk hunting. Sure helps make you more sure of yourself on your feet and you aren't wasting so much energy slipping and sliding. Yes the Hillsound spikes are shown on a hiking "shoe" of sorts, but they are made for boots too!

1595175755757.png

Kahtoola micro-spikes are equally as good, but I do like the strap that goes over the top of the foot on the Hillsound just a bit better. It is just an extra measure of the micro-spikes staying on your boots and in place. I have the Kahtoola personally and really like them and have had NO ISSUES at all and they have worked very well. That being said I would have gone with the Hillsound if I had found them first.

1595175958304.png

Best of luck on your hunt and soak in every single day as a new adventure.

1595176215135.png

Last edited:

Wanabe

FNG
Maybe you could try and find a couple last minute hunters. I know lots of guys that are itching to get away since Canada is shut down. It’s worth a shot. I’m willing to bet someone would fill those 2 spots.

The bigger problem is the village we base out of has refused to let us in. Now everything, including hunters, has to be flown from Fairbanks. Logistically it’s a huge PIA. This issue now limits the amount of hunters,guides and packers along with all the support gear that can be flown in to our area.

cooperjd

WKR
Wanabe we ran into that issue as well. We are booked with Joey Klutsch this august. Instead of flying from cold foot we are flying from Fairbanks as well. Gonna be a long flight on a tiny plane! We just hope the state won’t totally shut down between now and then

Leo17

FNG
Wanabe we ran into that issue as well. We are booked with Joey Klutsch this august. Instead of flying from cold foot we are flying from Fairbanks as well. Gonna be a long flight on a tiny plane! We just hope the state won’t totally shut down between now and then
Im confused. I have a flight with Wright Air booked from Fairbanks to coldfoot. Are you saying that they wont be allowed to land in Coldfoot?

cooperjd

WKR
I’m not sure if they can or not. But I know we were gonna go with another charter out of cold foot that we now can’t use. So it’s Wright to the mountains as far as I understand

fatbacks

WKR
Im confused. I have a flight with Wright Air booked from Fairbanks to coldfoot. Are you saying that they wont be allowed to land in Coldfoot?

I am pretty sure they are referring to Fort Yukon - haven’t heard of Coldfoot restrictions. Typically they serve the eastern Brooks from there. Not allowing hunters and companies to stage out this year from what I’ve heard, although that’s all second hand info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Indyal

Indyal

Lil-Rokslider
in reply to some recent posts and to comment in general
- I bought new Crispi Briksdal SF and have broken them in. They really make a difference for my feet when carrying a heavy pack.
- I now have a Kimber MA 6.5 mm CM. I have shot over 200 rounds. Good out to 720 yds on a bench. I have consistently shot to 325 yds off my pack on my friend's property.
- bought a down sleeping bag, rated to 15 degrees but since now summer was unable to test it in cold weather.
figure I will have my down puffy coat and pants if needed

-hiked 5 miles yesterday with 55 lb pack. The terrain is wooded hilly trails and there is also a chunky gravel trail horse/ATV trail that is as close as I can get to simulate walking river beds. 90+ degree and high humidity add a work out factor. Not using the hiking sticks now so will feel that much better when I do.

-My outfitter Lyle has had to make several trip changes due to covid19 related issues. Originally was to fly from Fairbanks to Ft Yukon, then to the Brooks. Now using Wright Air to fly directly out of Fairbanks. Due to logistics will have to spend an extra day in the field.

-covid19 related issues continue. I already had to change my flights with Alaska Air. We had same day tests available at our local hospital but not now. Due to the rising cases in the lower 48, I suppose the Alaska Governor could re-instate a mandatory 2 week quarantine for anyone coming in from out of state, regardless of covid19 test results.

Take care everyone, thanks to all who helped me out with information and suggestions.

At least you can drive to Jonah's base camp if it came to that!

Leo17

FNG
Leo, not sure when you are headed up, but I am driving another one of his hunters up on the 7th.
Hey Nick. Thanks man. That would have been great except I’m hunting the second week. I arrive into Fairbanks on the 16th and fly out with Wright air on the 17th. I talked to the airlines and both flights still haven’t changed but we will see. Have you heard of any airports canceling flights?

Wanabe

FNG
Update
Now the air carrier wants an additional 40% now for each person/flight.
just a FYI to keep in mind
The price gouging will get worse as the season gets closer next week I’m afraid
The only way to combat this is to call your carrier each and every day to check prices and complain about what they are doing
Some carriers won’t be this dishonest some will
You decide what you want to endure

Timeee123

Lil-Rokslider
How does 1 go about getting test results within 72 hours or less. I can not find a place than will do it. Everyone is saying 4 to 12 days

Wanabe

FNG
How does 1 go about getting test results within 72 hours or less. I can not find a place than will do it. Everyone is saying 4 to 12 days
Check out the thread “Alaska Travel”. They mention using a home test kit.

OP
Indyal

Indyal

Lil-Rokslider
Barring some last minute issue, I should be in Alaska this Friday and in the bush on Sunday.
Getting sleep deprived because I keep waking up around 1:30 am I am so wound up!

This has been my target on a friend’s property. It’s life size based on a whole taxidermy form measurements. Note he is full curl and broomed.;)

I feel confident out to about 365 yds using my back and prone. I tried some awkward positions to imitate field conditions but don’t have a place for extreme up or downhill shots.

At this point, my conditioning is what it is.

I still have to do a Covid test (or two , so hopefully will have one back before I leave).

Attachments

• 2E0A27CA-D6EF-4730-B3B9-7EFB5E2DD4A4.jpeg
    2E0A27CA-D6EF-4730-B3B9-7EFB5E2DD4A4.jpeg
    160.3 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:
OP
Indyal

Indyal

Lil-Rokslider
Well, I have my negative covid19 test letter of transit (for you Casablanca fans). By this time tomorrow I should be about an hour away from Fairbanks!