Dall sheep hunting Brooks Range

jakelogsdon

Lil-Rokslider

the hack

WKR
Another vote for "Undaunted Courage". IMHO this is Stepehen Ambrose's masterwork and overshadows "D-Day". There's no way I'd pack that as a paperback though, Kindle/ebook is your friend!

Dode

FNG
Lyle is a great guy! I hunted with him last year and killed a nice ram. If you want to discuss this hunt I can answer any questions you may have over pm or phone/email if you would like. I was in your same boat last year as I had booked a cancellation hunt and did not have more than a few months to get everything planned. Let me know.

Attachments

• IMG_20190827_145450.jpg
    IMG_20190827_145450.jpg
    529.6 KB · Views: 175

Rosey

FNG
Agree with post above, you won't find a better guy than Lyle. My son is scheduled to be a packer with Lyle's outfit this fall so you may meet him. He's transitioning from packing and guiding in Colorado to Alaska. My grandfather hunted sheep in the Brooks in 1968, I did in 2013 and now my son is headed there. It's an amazing place. You will love it.

OP
Indyal

Indyal

Lil-Rokslider
guys, once again thanks for the info. The Slim Moore book looks interesting. May read it before I go. I plan to get the new Kindle for the hunt. Looks like I don't have enough posts to PM yet.

jakelogsdon

Lil-Rokslider
guys, once again thanks for the info. The Slim Moore book looks interesting. May read it before I go. I plan to get the new Kindle for the hunt. Looks like I don't have enough posts to PM yet.
Good call. I think I've read it 5 times. I got the book sent to me by a family member who knew Slim, and actually heard first hand a few of the stories told in this book. I took the book with me on a deployment in 2005, and read it twice. Up to that point in my life, I not once had ever contemplated a Dall Sheep hunt, but the seed had been planted. From then on all I could think about was planning that hunt. I got to go as a packer in 2009, and one of the hunters in our group killed a Boone and Crockett ram, the hook was buried even deeper after that. I got to go on my first DIY hunt in 2012 and unfortunately was unsuccessful in finding a legal ram, mostly due to weather (we were socked in for 6 out of 10 days). After a long wait, I've made plans to be back up there this year in 2020.

OP
Indyal

Indyal

Lil-Rokslider
Still on track, assuming Covid 19 does not prevent travel.
Work outs are steady 5-6 days per week. Doing 1 day of upper body strength, 1 day of lower body/legs, and 1 day of core. In between those days, I am using a stair master with a pack of 25 lbs now or treadmill a 15 degree incline at higher speed. One day per week I am doing a hike in hilly country for an hour or more. I plan to escalate the pack weight and hike times progressively to August.
Decided to forego my 300WM at 9 lb, 9 oz for a Kimber Mountain Ascent 6.5 CM 6 lb, 15 oz with scope. Another bonus for the pack in, 2 boxes of 300WM weighs 3 lbs and 2 boxes of 6.5 CM weighs 2.2 lbs.
I was going to take a vanguard tripod/panhead at 2 lb, 14 oz and trek poles at 1lb but I can take my Field Optics Research carbon fiber tripod/panhead that weighs 3 lbs, 14 oz and 2 of the tripod legs can serve as trek poles. I have been using them with a pack load and they seem sturdy enough.

tdot

WKR
Sounds like you're on a good path.

A couple comments:

Poles are pretty crucial tools. I wouldn't personally trust a set that weren't dedicated poles, without some pretty serious confirmation from others that they are up to the task.

Tripod. You're likely to glass sitting down. You can pull the bottom few legs out, protect the exposed threads with a vinyl cap, strip the center column down and lose a bunch of weight for free. I stripped 14 ounces from my tripod.

Sleeping bag, I'd put that bag on a scale and check it. You might be surprised how much weight you can drop by going to a modern bag.

Weigh everything. Make a list. It's amazing how much weight you can strip out of your bag just by packing with more knowledge. Ie. Similar gear can weight ounces different... which doesn't take long to add up to pounds.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Work outs are steady 5-6 days per week. Doing 1 day of upper body strength, 1 day of lower body/legs, and 1 day of core. In between those days, I am using a stair master with a pack of 25 lbs now or treadmill a 15 degree incline at higher speed. One day per week I am doing a hike in hilly country for an hour or more. I plan to escalate the pack weight and hike times progressively to August.
Decided to forego my 300WM at 9 lb, 9 oz for a Kimber Mountain Ascent 6.5 CM 6 lb, 15 oz with scope. Another bonus for the pack in, 2 boxes of 300WM weighs 3 lbs and 2 boxes of 6.5 CM weighs 2.2 lbs.
I was going to take a vanguard tripod/panhead at 2 lb, 14 oz and trek poles at 1lb but I can take my Field Optics Research carbon fiber tripod/panhead that weighs 3 lbs, 14 oz and 2 of the tripod legs can serve as trek poles. I have been using them with a pack load and they seem sturdy enough.

cool gun!!!

miloak

FNG
Boots....what works for one guy may not work for another.
I wouldn’t take Kenetreks on a sheep hunt if I was paid to, because they don’t fit me. You could give me a million dollars to take them and I’d be putting my blistered feet in my crocs by the time I got off the strip.
If you’re thinking of switching boots you need to get them plenty early and see if they work for you. If the Meindl’s are in good shape and you know they’ll hold up and you like them, keep them. One less thing to worry about.

Best advice above.

The best quality boots are a nightmare if they don't fit YOUR feet.

I'd be leery of tripod legs being as trustworthy as dedicated trekking poles but if you have tested them sufficiently you would know better than I. This Tripod https://www.amazon.com/Sirui-T-025x-Carbon-Fiber-Tripod/dp/B00BFDETS0 weighs 2 lb with ball head, isn't crazy expensive, and would be 14oz lighter than your current plan. Plus you wouldn't have to deal with taking your tripod legs on/off and screwing the grips on/off.

Agree with Dexter, you don't want to carry 2 boxes of ammo around. If you need that much you seriously failed on shooting competency or in your scope choice and/or mounting.

MtGomer

WKR
Don’t use your tripod legs as trekking poles....

The weight, if you want to call it that, of trekking poles doesn’t count. They’re in your hands, making your pack feel lighter and easier to carry. They are not on your back, weighing you down.

You’ll find yourself glassing a lot less if you’re converting your tripod into trekking poles and vice versa over and over. And you’re going to break your tripod legs.

OP
Indyal

Indyal

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for all the input and have heeded your advice.

I did buy a new syntheticsleeping bag rated at 10 degrees. I slept comfortable in my back yard with the Indiana temp around 24 degrees as a test. bag weight 4 lbs, 4 oz with stuff sack ( it was listed as 3 lb 12 oz on the website, oh well)

I removed the lower legs from my Vanguard and cut down the center pole in half. it is still a good height for glassing while sitting and weighs 1 lb, 12.7 oz with the integral panhead. This set up hold my vortex spotter well.

My trek poles weigh 1 lb 5.9 oz

My outfitter listed 20-40 rounds in his list. I would imagine that comes with us to where the supercub lands and where we have a basecamp. So I won't be taking 40 rounds to the spike camp.

I still plan to lose another 5-7 libs

thanks again.

Dode

FNG
Keep up the training. I will say one thing though. I did all the stuff you are talking about as far as training. And it was great, but honestly the hardest part about that area for me was the walking up the dry river bed terrain every day! Miles of walking on relatively flat ground but all river rock. The climbing of the hills was a relief from the river bed. I would bring the best trekking poles you can find as it helps you greatly in that stuff. I've hiked and hunted in most of the western states and the mountains here were similar or sometimes easier than a lot of the mountain ranges in the lower 48 west. But the hikes up to the heads of those drainages before the big climbs was the worst for me. I wished I had spent 50% of my training on just walking river beds with my pack!river bed.jpg

Really good point above. Hiking the cobblestone of a creek bed is really tough, be great to get your feet conditioned to it.
my guess is your trip will be near perfect, you even tested your sleeping bag! Great job.

One recommendation is to purchase the DYI 2-DVD set :
They go through how to get in sheep shape, what gear to use, and take you on an
actual sheep hunt in the south slope of the Brooks Range.

Don't worry about being in your 60s...just get in shape, especially for endurance.
Mental toughness is very important.
My hunting mentor shot his last ram at age 70 after 6 days of hunting:
Alan_packing.jpg

OP
Indyal

Indyal

Lil-Rokslider
thanks for for creek bed walking tip, probably have to wait for summer to find some relatively dry creek beds to walk .

nuclear worker

Lil-Rokslider
Boots....what works for one guy may not work for another.
I wouldn’t take Kenetreks on a sheep hunt if I was paid to, because they don’t fit me. You could give me a million dollars to take them and I’d be putting my blistered feet in my crocs by the time I got off the strip.
If you’re thinking of switching boots you need to get them plenty early and see if they work for you. If the Meindl’s are in good shape and you know they’ll hold up and you like them, keep them. One less thing to worry about.
I was on my first Sheep hunt last fall. In the Brooks range, amazing country. I agree the rifle is way to heavy. Sheep are not hard to kill. I went with a 6.5x284 fast and flat shooting. I used Crispi boots worked perfectly. Make sure you have good rain gear. It rained sleeted and snowed. Never really got cold, teens at night. When your climbing you will stay plenty warm. Have a good puffy jacket and pants in your pack to put on when you stop to glass after climbing. I think the most important thing is conditioning!! I was doing 14 miles with full pack and my boots 3 times a week. Also doing 200 flights of stairs with full gear every night after work. Also had permission from local gravel pit to go up and down the sides to prepare ankles for side hilling on the shale. Then had targets set up to practice shooting when I got to the top. Learn to get your breath under control. When you practice shooting don’t bother being at a bench!! Practice under real conditions which most likely will be prone on a bipod or off your pack extra. I even made a ramp out of plywood so I could get used to sitting on an angle and shooting down hill.