Dall Sheep hunts

KU_Geo

WKR
All of us have those particular hunts that have always been the “dream”. Ever since I was young mine have been “Alaska hunts”, whether it was moose, caribou’s, sheep, goats,etc. over the years i’ve Been fortunate enough to have fantastic DIY hunts in AK for caribou and moose but guide requirements have always been cost prohitive for the others. After thinking about it for several years i’ve finally decided that its time to go on a sheep hunt. The wife surprisingly was completely on board and i’m starting to look at different options for 2020-2021. Not dead set on AK, the north country in general is what I love and part of the draw of a sheep hunt. Much of what I am finding is either guiding me toward the Alaska range or the Wrangells in AK (or chugach draw options) or Mackenzie’s in NWT. Obviously cost is quite a bit different between AK and NWT. Just wondering if anyone has experiences they could share on these or any other areas or outfits? Or recommendations suggestions of folks to talk with? Feel free to PM. Thanks

Graves14

WKR
What kind of hunt are you looking for? Horseback or hiking? Archery or rifle? Base camp or spike camp? once you know exactly what you want in a hunt you can look for a guide that specializes or offers that kind of hunt.

In any case, congrats on starting the journey and good luck!!!!

Doc Holliday

WKR
Classified Approved
Also, if hiking, how in shape are you/do you plan to be? Some outfitters are known for using a helicopter to get you in close and pick you up close, whereas others get you into a general area with a supercub and then you hike into/out of sheep country.

BRWNBR

WKR
Keep in mind with these dream lifetime hunts. They aren’t always successful. I tell clients, “if you can’t afford to go home empty handed, you can’t afford to go”. Sometimes crap happens, that’s reality. Prepare for it and keep your expectations grounded. Also as already stated, figure out what type of hunt you want. Chopper/horses/walk in/spike camp/base camp/ small guide operation/numerous Sheep clients at once/early season/late season to name a few. Big investment, shop around and find what YOU want as opposed to accepting what someone is selling.

wantj43

Lil-Rokslider
Talk with people that have hunted with the outfitter and especially those that were unsuccessful on their first try. Make certain the hunt is the type you are looking for first then consider the price. If you are hunting in Alaska make certain it is clearly understood what the experience level will be of the guide or assistant guide who will be accompanying in the field. Given the way regulations are written here it is possible to have a guide that has never seen a Dall sheep or brown bear.
Joe

OP
K

KU_Geo

WKR
Thanks for all the comments guys. I’ve thought about it quite a bit and am leaning more toward a rifle backpack style of hunt, either a base camp with spike camp type of option or a all in backpack hunt. Not sure about preferred timing, something i’ll Have to look into more. I am not interested in just being dropped on the other side of a hill from the sheep. And I realize this could potentially lower my chance of success. Part of the draw for me is just being able to explore some amazing country. As for fitness level, i’m no mountain badass compared to some, but I still do lots of backpacking trips, 14-13k summits, and high country hunts here in Colorado every year.

BRWNBR

WKR
There’s a whole lot more to a Sheep hunt that just the kill. Dropping in where someone says “he’s up this valley on the left side” really takes something away from what a sheep hunt really is.

critrgitr

Lil-Rokslider
I went on my first Dall Sheep hunt in Alaska this September and had an incredible hunt in a limited unit in Alaska. I also learned a lot about what type of hunt I would want in the future if I can afford to go again. There are several great outfitters scattered across the ranges that hold Dall Sheep. There are a few things that might help you narrow down what you are looking for. What time of year is best for your schedule? NWT hunts start mid July, Yukon I believe is August 1st and, Alaska around August 10th. Do you want a small outfitter that guides you himself and takes care of every detail from the get go, or are you ok with one if the bigger operations and a guide you likely won’t know until you get to camp (who should be more than capable of handling the task at hand). If you do choose Alaska, I would recommend looking for an outfitter with and exclusive guide use area or trying to draw into one of the limited units. There are great sheep killed in other areas every year but some areas tend to be overhunted and its hard to know what exactly your getting into until you are there. As mentioned above, plan on attending the Sheep Show in Reno to meet several outfitters. It’s also a great place to look at sheep mounts and meet like minded hunters that have also been bitten by the sheep bug. Another thing to consider is the type of terrain you’d like to hunt. All will be tough but when if you get into more glacier type country it gets really rough. And most importantly when the hunt arrives go into it with an open mind and a willingness and physical ability to go over the next ridge!

cbeard64

WKR
I enjoyed every second of my Yukon Dall hunt with Mervyn’s. Old style horseback and spike camp hunt.

I decided against AK because of the more “hit/miss” nature of much of the hunting there, overall trophy quality being less consistent, more resident pressure, and harder to narrow down good outfitters.

I decided against the NWT because of the common use of helicopters (even though not all use them and not all use them the same way).

That left the Yukon which has beautiful country, beautiful rams, and top notch outfitters across the board.

bradb

WKR
I had a weak moment this fall and I guess said happy 50th to me.....I booked a Dall, grizz, moose hunt for next fall in the Yukon. Bank doesn't know it yet that they are financing about half of it. Have 20 lbs off since Oct(been lazy for a couple years) bunch more pounds to go and tons of working out. Both very excited and nervous. Getting a few things together that I may need.
The outfitter was the old Kluane Outfitters, now under new owners

I went on my first Dall hunt in August of this year. I had the same debate with myself that you are having prior to booking my hunt. NWT OR AK? Ultimately decided on NWT because I felt I had a better chance to come home with a ram. I chose a true backpack hunt/outfitter and had the greatest hunt of my life. As others have said go to Sheep Show and talk to different outfitters. I found everyone I was interested in hunting with was there. Happy to share more than I can type here if you want to PM me.