Dall Sheep Spotting Scope & Camera

thrash907

FNG
Hey all,

Just wrapped up my 2019 hunting season and came to the conclusion that I want to pick up a spotting scope and camera for next year.

I'll primarily be using them for hunting Dall Sheep in Alaska and my main method of transportation from the road system will be hiking, so weight is definitely a concern.

I currently have the Nikon Monarch HG 10x42 binos, bino adapter and Promaster XC-M 525CK tripod.

Spotting scope:
  • Price range: ~800-1400
  • Unsure on magnification, probably ~60-65x?
  • Light weight
Camera:
  • Price range: ~400-800
  • Light weight
  • Unsure about addl details for sheep hunting; my camera phone doesn't cut it
Any thoughts, suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Ryan

Stretch your spotting scope budget just a little and get a Kowa 553 or 554 from Doug. It weighs 28 oz. and you can use a light tripod with it. I use a $15 amazon basics unit, so if you add the usual tripod price to your $1400 budget, you are right on the money with the excellent Kowa, optically similar to 65 mm European alpha glass and pounds lighter. Can't help much on the camera if you don't want to use your cell phone. However, if you call Doug, he will have the right answer for you. I have bought from him twice, recently, but both experiences were top notch, both advice and price.

Low_Sky

Lil-Rokslider
Hey all,

Just wrapped up my 2019 hunting season and came to the conclusion that I want to pick up a spotting scope and camera for next year.

I'll primarily be using them for hunting Dall Sheep in Alaska and my main method of transportation from the road system will be hiking, so weight is definitely a concern.

I currently have the Nikon Monarch HG 10x42 binos, bino adapter and Promaster XC-M 525CK tripod.

Spotting scope:
  • Price range: ~800-1400
  • Unsure on magnification, probably ~60-65x?
  • Light weight
Camera:
  • Price range: ~400-800
  • Light weight
  • Unsure about addl details for sheep hunting; my camera phone doesn't cut it
Any thoughts, suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Ryan

What do you expect to get from a $400-800 camera that your phone isn’t doing for you now?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Decker9

WKR
For your price range, the Pentax ED65 is worth a look. My Pentax will do 99% of what my swarovski 65hd will do, and in a lighter and more compact unit. Certainly the swarvo is better, but by barely a hair with my eyes.

Wapiti1

WKR
Scope: Pentax ED (a sleeper spotting scope), or Kowa 66mm Prominar. I have the Kowa 66mm Prominar.

Camera: pocketable Sony RX100 III or newer, or Panasonic ZS100 or ZS200. The Sony is sharper, but the Pana has a longer zoom. Both take a great photo. I have both and the Pana gets the most use.

Jeremy

duchntr

WKR
If I were in your shoes and strictly in that budget Id wait and watch the classifieds for a used swaro. I am currently using a Kowa 663M and it works well enough, seen a few used ones for sale recently as well. Also Im a big fan 60x, less will but Ive never wished for less magnification.

As for cameras I really liked my last camera a Sony rx100 5, but I swamped it. Now Im using a Lumix zs200 its fine.

After this sheep season I think I want a 95mm scope! used a 65 swaro, but want to be able to count rings from miles....

Any recommendations on big glass?

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
If you already have the Swarovski module 65 system just get the 95 tube to go with it. If not think about the Kowa TSN-883/884 series
Glad to discuss these options with you

North61

Lil-Rokslider
I spent 12 days looking at Dall Sheep this last month. Never once did I want less resolution or brightness or eye relief or field of view or usable magnification than my Leica 65MM Televid gave. Also when conditions where right a full 50X with good resolution was great to have. Sometimes I wanted a bit more of everything and I can see why some folks lug an 80mm or 95mm Alpha glass. 1400.00 will get you a good optic. Are you the type of person who will always wish for a great one? If so save a bit more. The little Kowa is as good as a 55mm can probably be, and likely worth owning but often there is no replacement for displacement.

After 12 days I came back wanting more, not less and I'd be willing to train more to carry it. I'll keep my 65mm as a decent compromise but doing it over I'd pay the weight penalty for 80mm or more. Kowa TSN 880 series maybe? The ATX has so many neat accessories it would bankrupt me. That said the 55mm Kowa would be an awesome place to go if you don't wear glasses (a bit limited in eye relief) and you really have to stay within a budget, like most of us do. If you use your phone as a camera pick up a phone scope and put the camera cash into the best spotter you can find!

Last edited:

duchntr

WKR
I spent 12 days looking at Dall Sheep this last month. Never once did I want less resolution or brightness or eye relief or field of view or usable magnification than my Leica 65MM Televid gave. Also when conditions where right a full 50X with good resolution was great to have. Sometimes I wanted a bit more of everything and I can see why some folks lug an 80mm or 95mm Alpha glass. 1400.00 will get you a good optic. Are you the type of person who will always wish for a great one? If so save a bit more. The little Kowa is as good as a 55mm can probably be, and likely worth owning but often there is no replacement for displacement.

After 12 days I came back wanting more, not less and I'd be willing to train more to carry it. I'll keep my 65mm as a decent compromise but doing it over I'd pay the weight penalty for 80mm or more. Kowa TSN 880 series maybe? The ATX has so many neat accessories it would bankrupt me. That said the 55mm Kowa would be an awesome place to go if you don't wear glasses (a bit limited in eye relief) and you really have to stay within a budget, like most of us do. If you use your phone as a camera pick up a phone scope and put the camera cash into the best spotter you can find!

My hunting partner has that 65 televid with a 1.8 extender, the extender works pretty well if atmospheric conditions are good. Might be a good addition to your kit.

OP
thrash907

thrash907

FNG
Finally got back to the computer to read through everyone's suggestions.

@gr8fuldoug I'll call you guys up soon.

Thank you so much, all!

What do you expect to get from a $400-800 camera that your phone isn’t doing for you now?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm hoping to take higher quality pics that I can use to make prints/hang up in the shop/home and maybe give them out as gifts. The phone camera does ok for things like social media and showing to fam/friends, but not much else imo.

Last edited:
I was looking at a Sony RX100 series camera for this season as well but after further research it seemed you'll get just as much out of a new cell phone unless you have a more advanced knowledge of camera settings.

That, and it seems there are better digiscoping options from a phone than camera so it was easy to save the $ and weight on a dedicated camera by using the phone I already was bringing.

I think the Kowa's hit a nice spot for sheep hunting. My guides ATS 80 didn't tell me anything my 553 didn't on this year's sheep hunt, but the zoom and FOV were nice upgrades. The Kowa 880 series has outperformed the swaro 85's and come close to hanging with 95's on reviews I've seen and does so at a lower weight and cost. That's what I'd take if carrying big glass.

OP
thrash907

thrash907

FNG
I was looking at a Sony RX100 series camera for this season as well but after further research it seemed you'll get just as much out of a new cell phone unless you have a more advanced knowledge of camera settings.

That, and it seems there are better digiscoping options from a phone than camera so it was easy to save the $ and weight on a dedicated camera by using the phone I already was bringing.

I think the Kowa's hit a nice spot for sheep hunting. My guides ATS 80 didn't tell me anything my 553 didn't on this year's sheep hunt, but the zoom and FOV were nice upgrades. The Kowa 880 series has outperformed the swaro 85's and come close to hanging with 95's on reviews I've seen and does so at a lower weight and cost. That's what I'd take if carrying big glass.

Cool! I just started looking at the digiscopes; didn't realize that was a thing. I'm starting to think spending more on a spotter would be a better call.

Low_Sky

Lil-Rokslider
Finally got back to the computer to read through everyone's suggestions.

@gr8fuldoug I'll call you guys up soon.

Thank you so much, all!

I'm hoping to take higher quality pics that I can use to make prints/hang up in the shop/home and maybe give them out as gifts. The phone camera does ok for things like social media and showing to fam/friends, but not much else imo.

Taking print-quality photos opens up a whole can of worms, and it's one I wouldn't try to open in the $400-800 price range. I think you're better off adding this money to your spotter budget unless you're really serious about the photography.

OP
thrash907

thrash907

FNG
Taking print-quality photos opens up a whole can of worms, and it's one I wouldn't try to open in the $400-800 price range. I think you're better off adding this money to your spotter budget unless you're really serious about the photography.

Ok, that’s really good to know... spotter it is. Thank you!