Dall shot distance

Maverick940

Banned
Shots at Dall sheep for my clients average about 80 yards. I'm sure your outfitter told you what his average shot range is.

Of the ones I've shot, I believe the ranges were around 75, 75, 400, and 150 yds more or less. I didn't range the closer ones. Two were shot off rocks, and two off my knee.

Seen a couple others taken, all at <200 yds.

As I recall, when this has come up before, the basic consensus is that the majority are taken at pretty standard hunting ranges. i.e. 50 - 300 yds.

OP
J

JPhunt

FNG
Outfitter said to practice out to 400-500 yd but said the average shot was 250yd. Practice at 500 and shooting an animal are two different things.

keller

WKR
could see where you could get pinned down and 400-500 yd shot would be the option.but there is a lot of rolling real estate between you and the sheep.i did my first dall hunt 2018 killed my sheep at 100 yds or just under didn't range it that close.

204guy

WKR
Only shoot to what you're comfortable with. But you do have plenty of time to improve. Shot distances are obviously going to be situation and terrain dependant.
I can say that having hunted with a bunch of guys from the midwest shotgun zones that not being able to quickly and accurately make a 300-400yd shot is a huge crutch for them.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

NateK

Lil-Rokslider
I have zero experience sheep hunting but if you can find somewhere to practice shots at really steep angles it may prove to be helpful.

2012...two rams feeding unaware about horizontal/broadside with guide and me, plenty of time to rest on backpack-180 yards Yukon.
2013...one ram feeding unaware and broadside, we were way above him at steep angle...rangefinder reads 335 yards, held at 200 leaning halfway off cliff face w bipod and ram rolled over Yukon
2014...4 rams feeding unaware about horizontal and waiting for broadside...had plenty of time..bipod 330 yards BC
2015...all-day stalk and belly-crawled last 100 yards...stood up offhand and shot ram in his bed at 70 yards at most -Yukon
2016...steep uphill driving rain/sleet/snow, two rams bedded side by side out of group of ten...had plenty of time...rifle resting on two backpacks...shot ram in his bed and he rolled over 265 yards Yukon
2018...ram slight downhill angle across canyon...230-250 yards on bipod...Hell's Canyon ID
2018...all-day hike up and then down mountain to get above and then horizontal with ram...rifle resting on backpack 90 yards Coahuila MX

I've been shooting rifles way out to 500 yards for several years...but you owe the animal a quick clean kill, so my limit is 300-350 yards max as long as I have a good 3-point rest, mostly try to shoot from prone-except the one I stood up and shot freehand- and time to relax breathing.
Best,
Diddywahdiddy

Rich M

WKR
Practice at 500 and shooting an animal are two different things.

Not really - just my opinion.

I used to have a real bad flinch. Was getting ready for an antelope hunt and put a couple hundred rounds down the pipe - wouldn't you know the flinch is gone and shots under 300 are chip shots now cause that was the range I practiced for. This year I'll be shooting a lot again - for a mule deer hunt this time and stretching max range to 400 yards.

If you can't control your emotions (sheep/buck fever), then wait longer to take the shot or do a dry fire or 2 on it then with a live round.

You have about 18 months to get into shape and shoot good at 500 yards. You should have no problem doing both - hope you have an exceptional hunt.

CIgrFiX.jpg

fatbacks

WKR
Of the six sheep I've seen killed in the past few years, all shots have been 300 yds and closer. Although some have been at steep angles.

Jimss

WKR
I spotted my first dall ram at about 500 yards and waited about 1/2 day for them to disappear over a hill. I headed to the hill where they disappeared and got a 100 yard shot up a 45 degree slope.

The 2nd ram was with another ram....my jaw dropped when I first saw them at 600 yards! I'm not a long range shooter so decided to do a stalk once they disappeared. I couldn't find them at first but they came back over the hill where they disappeared and I made a 50 yard shot!

I've found it usually takes a lot of patience....and a bit of luck!

Of the six sheep I've seen killed in the past few years, all shots have been 300 yds and closer. Although some have been at steep angles.

Just going to emphasis that angles part. I have shot a majority of both sheep and goat and angles between 20 and 40 degrees. At the longer distances that makes a difference, and I have had both high and low impacts because of it. Shooting steeply uphill in particular can be a trick.

docdb

Lil-Rokslider
My last two were long range for me. I had practiced a lot, but understand that a 500yd shot at 100F in Atlanta on a still day is different than a 40F sleet with wind day North of Fairbanks. With that said, I had clean kills at 411 and 541 yards.
Don

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

cbeard64

WKR
The vast majority of sheep are taken at normal hunting ranges (50-300 yards). The long-range marketing guys have done their best to create a myth that mountain hunting is a long range affair.

But the vast majority of the time if you can’t get on the animal at under 500 you lack patience, hunting skills, or both.

kscowboy01

Lil-Rokslider
602 yards, prone. Wasn't what we wanted but that was what the situation dictated versus our other option of putting on the whites and exposing ourselves. I practiced distance all summer, so my guide let me take the shot. You owe it to the animal go get as close as possible but sometimes a long shot is necessary. A good friend is a competitive 1,000 yard shooter and worked with me on developing loads and practice. I'm fortunate to have such a knowledgeable friend.

204guy

WKR
The vast majority of sheep are taken at normal hunting ranges (50-300 yards). The long-range marketing guys have done their best to create a myth that mountain hunting is a long range affair.

But the vast majority of the time if you can’t get on the animal at under 500 you lack patience, hunting skills, or both.
Come on man, don't be THAT guy.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Kimbersig

WKR
my dall was 520 yards off a bipod. couldn't get any closer. earlier in the hunt I got to 600 and passed on the shot. 500 is about my max comfort and I still missed the first shot.