Dallas / Fort Worth Area

Dallas is a bit too cosmopolitan but FW is nice. Last time I was there I watched as a big ole cougar stalked me. I retreated to an elevated location...big mistake. She came right up and was only two feet away. Was seeking shelter from her in the upstairs cigar bar at Del Friscos at the time.

So one of my companies was exhibiting at the annual Fiery Food Show in Fort Worth and on one side of our exhibit was a Texan dressed in black cowboy hat, jeans and boots…looked like he just belonged on a ranch. He told us Dallas had become too cosmopolitan for his tastes and Ft. Worth was heading that direction. On the other side of our booth is this guy from California wearing a huge white cowboy hat, red plaid shirt, bandana and designer jeans and looked like a missing member of the Village People.

fieryfoodshowfw.jpg

So as the show is winding down the Texas exhibitor in the booth next to us asks us if we’d like to visit his ranch. I’m like “Sure!” cuz in my head I’m thinking I might wanna hunt there sometime and I need to make friends with this guy, he’s gotta ranch. Then he extends the same invitation to the California cowboy in the booth next to us. He says yes too. So right after the show closes at 5pm we head to this guys property. It’s summer and won’t get dark for hours.

When we arrive we learn his ranch-hand has already saddled up some horses for us. Not just any horses either but cutting horses (also called push button horses) and lemme tell ya, these suckers react to the slightest heel. Wished I was wearing a jockstrap and cup cuz my horse when from zero to Mach 4 in a nanosecond. Note to self, cutting horses cost hundreds of thousands of dollars and kicking em is like asking for G force.

Anyway we’re tooling around this immense property complete with rolling hill pastures, wide streams fed by the Trinity River, beautiful forested areas…just a real nice 9000+ acre ranch. We’re following a fence line when we hear a strange sound and just around the bend we discover a large sheep that’s managed to somehow get its head stuck in the fence gate. It’s baying up a storm, distressed, obviously tiring and appears to have been trapped there for some time.

So I thought nothing of it when the Texan gets down off his horse and walks over to the sheep but am awestruck when, instead of releasing it he drops trough and starts giving it to the sheep. “Mutton lovin’” he calls it. It was surreal. I’m sitting on this damn horse dumbstruck…just watching and not knowing what to do. I musta looked like an idiot…an idiot on a horse. Flashes of a Tijuana stage show are flashing through my head from when I thought getting drunk at 18 in TJ was a good idea.

So this guy finishes, pulls up his drawers, looks at us and asks, “Ya wanna give ‘er a go?”

What?! Did this guy just ask me if I was schtup his farm animal? Am I dreaming this?

Before I can even begin to imagine an appropriate response the California cowboy gleefully replies “Hell yeah!”, hops down off his horse, removes his big dumb white hat, walks over and sticks his head in the fence.

Last edited:

Tartan

WKR
Dallas is a bit too cosmopolitan but FW is nice. Last time I was there I watched as a big ole cougar stalked me. I retreated to an elevated location...big mistake. She came right up and was only two feet away. Was seeking shelter from her in the upstairs cigar bar at Del Friscos at the time.

So one of my companies was exhibiting at the annual Fiery Food Show in Fort Worth and on one side of our exhibit was a Texan dressed in black cowboy hat, jeans and boots…looked like he just belonged on a ranch. He told us Dallas had become too cosmopolitan for his tastes and Ft. Worth was heading that direction. On the other side of our booth is this guy from California wearing a huge white cowboy hat, red plaid shirt, bandana and designer jeans and looked like a missing member of the Village People.

View attachment 204188

So as the show is winding down the Texas exhibitor in the booth next to us asks us if we’d like to visit his ranch. I’m like “Sure!” cuz in my head I’m thinking I might wanna hunt there sometime and I need to make friends with this guy, he’s gotta ranch. Then he extends the same invitation to the California cowboy in the booth next to us. He says yes too. So right after the show closes at 5pm we head to this guys property. It’s summer and won’t get dark for hours.

When we arrive we learn his ranch-hand has already saddled up some horses for us. Not just any horses either but cutting horses (also called push button horses) and lemme tell ya, these suckers react to the slightest heel. Wished I was wearing a jockstrap and cup cuz my horse when from zero to Mach 4 in a nanosecond. Note to self, cutting horses cost hundreds of thousands of dollars and kicking em is like asking for G force.

Anyway we’re tooling around this immense property complete with rolling hill pastures, wide streams fed by the Trinity River, beautiful forested areas…just a real nice 9000+ acre ranch. We’re following a fence line when we hear a strange sound and just around the bend we discover a large sheep that’s managed to somehow get its head stuck in the fence gate. It’s baying up a storm, distressed, obviously tiring and appears to have been trapped there for some time.

So I thought nothing of it when the Texan gets down off his horse and walks over to the sheep but am awestruck when, instead of releasing it he drops trough and starts giving it to the sheep. “Mutton lovin’” he calls it. It was surreal. I’m sitting on this damn horse dumbstruck…just watching and not knowing what to do. I musta looked like an idiot…an idiot on a horse. Flashes of a Tijuana stage show are flashing through my head from when I thought getting drunk at 18 in TJ was a good idea.

So this guy finishes, pulls up his drawers, looks at us and asks, “Ya wanna give ‘er a go?”

What?! Did this guy just ask me if I was schtup his farm animal? Am I dreaming this?

Before I can even begin to imagine an appropriate response the California cowboy gleefully replies “Hell yeah!”, hops down off his horse, removes his big dumb white hat, walks over and sticks his head in the fence.

Haha, well at least the parts about Dallas and Fort Worth are true. Just took a new job that's gonna require me down in Dallas at least part time once the offices open up more, but here we are moving even farther towards the outskirts to Argyle.

HNTR918

WKR
Going to CO in September for bear, Early Oct for Deer, Mid Oct for Elk, NM for Deer, & NM for Barbary.
Anyone here make regular trips to AK for Black Bear? Caribou & Moose as well?
Looking for a good range with long distance steel targets, any recommendation?
I also shoot 3D at Cinnamon Creek Ranch every weekend.

oneisnone

FNG
Going to CO in September for bear, Early Oct for Deer, Mid Oct for Elk, NM for Deer, & NM for Barbary.
Triple C in Cresson and ETTS in Waxahachie are the best long distance ranges around DFW that I've found, ETTS goes to 1300yds and Triple C goes out to 2k yds

gelton

WKR

View attachment 204188

Much easier to catch em near a tank (pond) just put one leg in one cowboy boot the other leg in the other boot and just nudge em towards the water, they do all the work backing up and all you have to do is stand there.

TheCougar

WKR
Triple C is a nice range but you pay out the nose. $1000 per year for a membership or $50 for access to anything other than pistol bays. I’m going to try Tac Pro range. Much more reasonable prices and they have a 1000 yard range.

Agdog

FNG
I’m in Prosper and new to this site. I can be found at Scheels more often than I care to admit, buying more crap than I need!

TheCougar

WKR
I don’t suppose any of you guys on here might be interested in trading bows? I’ve got a bare bow Prime Centergy Hybrid, 29”, 70-80#, RH bow that just got relegated to backup bow status. It tunes for other people, but not for me. It’s not new by any stretch of the imagination, but it is an elk killing machine. Its got fresh strings with about 100-200 arrows through it and I just tuned the hell out of it and it’s perfectly in time and spec. Looking for a bow that pulls north of 70# and isn’t a PITA to tune.

For all of you guys interested in meeting up, Dallas Safari Club (my employer) is hosting a "Bowhunter Tune up and Archery Intro" event this Saturday (09/19) at Elm Fork in Dallas. It'd be a great event if you or a loved one are looking to get into archery as there will be equipment and archery instructors from TPWD and Texans Archery Academy. For the more experienced shooters there will be a 20 target 3D course ranging from 20-60 yards (rangefinders allowed, field points only). Entry is $20/adult, free for kids and shooting starts at 9:30a. My fiance and I will be there, PM if you want more info or have any questions.

If you're interested, the registration link can be found here.

nrh6.7

WKR
Triple C is a nice range but you pay out the nose. $1000 per year for a membership or $50 for access to anything other than pistol bays. I’m going to try Tac Pro range. Much more reasonable prices and they have a 1000 yard range.

Just looked at their page and can't believe the pricing compared to everything else in this area. What are the crowds like on the weekends? Are the shooting positions on the long range covered?

TheCougar

WKR
Just looked at their page and can't believe the pricing compared to everything else in this area. What are the crowds like on the weekends? Are the shooting positions on the long range covered?
I went there on Labor Day and it was busy, but not crazy. I didn’t have any trouble getting a lane on the 1000 yard range. It’s a great facility, with lots of range options, but it’s well beyond the budget unless you shoot at least weekly. The thing that really turned me off was the kids pricing. My kids can only shoot 10-20 times before they are done. Their pricing? A $5 discount off the full price I pay. So if I take my two kids shooting and they each shoot 10 times, that’s $100 in range fees for the kids, whether they shoot at 100 yards or 1000 yards. They need to scale their pricing or let the kids shoot for $5 like Tac Pro does. I won’t go back there. Tac Pro also has a 1000 yard range, and their membership is $200 and kids under 12 are free, and $5 for kids over 12. That’s how to get the kids involved!

nrh6.7

WKR
I went there on Labor Day and it was busy, but not crazy. I didn’t have any trouble getting a lane on the 1000 yard range. It’s a great facility, with lots of range options, but it’s well beyond the budget unless you shoot at least weekly. The thing that really turned me off was the kids pricing. My kids can only shoot 10-20 times before they are done. Their pricing? A $5 discount off the full price I pay. So if I take my two kids shooting and they each shoot 10 times, that’s $100 in range fees for the kids, whether they shoot at 100 yards or 1000 yards. They need to scale their pricing or let the kids shoot for $5 like Tac Pro does. I won’t go back there. Tac Pro also has a 1000 yard range, and their membership is $200 and kids under 12 are free, and $5 for kids over 12. That’s how to get the kids involved!

Yeah, I was talking about Tac Pro's pricing. Can't believe it is that cheap! A little farther drive but well worth the savings. Might have to make a drive out one weekend to have a look at it.

TheCougar

WKR
Yeah, I was talking about Tac Pro's pricing. Can't believe it is that cheap! A little farther drive but well worth the savings. Might have to make a drive out one weekend to have a look at it.

Perhaps we can rally and check it out together. I am planning on taking my kids around 1-2 October and doing the 1000 yard qual.