Dalton Highway 5 Mile in rifle hunt

YellCoAR

Lil-Rokslider
I am going to give my honest experience of this hunt. Take it for what it cost you. To start out I spent 7 months getting ready for this hunt. I lost 33 pounds and walked over 250 miles. I am 56 years old and felt I was ready for the challenge of this hunt. Let me state I am not sure there is anyway to get ready for the tundra. I had my butt handed to me several times. The highway is long, brutal, and void of game for the most part. There are a lot of caribou, but there is a vast amount of area they can be. For the 495 miles we only saw caribou for around a 6 mile section of the entire highway. There were just a few in that area. Most of the herd was not reachable from the road. It was a great experience and I am glad I gave it a try.

I had made a plan on research I had done. After driving several miles of the highway with no sightings of caribou. We made our 5 mile march in on that course. We packed in our camp and food and spent 5 days. I am not sure packing in you camp is a good idea. It is just to much weight. I can say for certain using a sled to pull gear is a bad idea. Once we crossed the 5 mile line we could see for miles. We saw a small group the first day several miles away heading away from us. Plan was to catch the next group coming threw for the next 4 days none every came. So we decided to pack out and find another location that had caribou by the road.

We located a few caribou around mile 56. So we made a plan to hike in to the 5 mile line. We had a young bull come to 75 yards and another around 200 yards, but decided not to shoot these bulls. The only other bulls spotted were back inside the 5 mile area. We watched them all day and they were not moving out of the area they were in. We chose to pack light and hunt all day and return to the truck. We reached the truck at 12:45 am. Let me tell you the tundra is not forgiving in low light. The last 1,000 yards I bet I took more steps away from the truck than toward. Them dad gum green monsters will eat you alive. Was sure glad we had decided not to shoot the small bulls.
We did have a great trip fishing Sag River artic grayling and artic char. Jims 3 river artic grayling. Quarts Lake East of Fairbanks Silver Salmon, Artic Char, and rainbow.
To sum it up my advise is to either use air transporter or air boat. I actually think a bow would be the best choice if hunting the road.

JonnyB

WKR
It is definitely a humbling experience, sounds like you still had a great time though! The tundra is unforgiving and unassuming to those who don’t know. I’ve told people many times that until you are out there, you won’t understand just how deceptive and punishing a treeless and “flat” landscape can be.

Transporter or hunting inside the corridor is the way to go hands down! I’ve done both and been successful with plenty of opportunities (even some missed ones if you know what I mean haha).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You will walk out of your way to walk on flat ground for a few. The tundra will break a mens spirt and soul in a hurry.
I hunt the haul rd many times, but only made that 5 mile hike once. Won’t do that again. We had two caribou to bring out though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bluman001

FNG
My daughter and I used a transporter for our trip on the Northern Brooks Range hunt we took in early August. It was a graduation present for her upon graduating from UAMS nursing program. Tundra is extremely brutal!!! My daughter killed hers on the 3 day we could hunt and by then we were ready to get out of the tundra. It was an awesome experience and I wouldnt trade it for the world but we both lost 12 lbs in 4 days and like you, I thought I was in decent shape at 50 but I was humbled. And we only walked about 2 miles. I can not imagine 5 miles. I agree that a fly out is the best option for success. We saw lots of wildlife along the Haul Road though. We saw arctic fox, musk-ox, grizzlies, wolf and a couple of herds of caribou numbering in the 100's.

OP
Y

YellCoAR

Lil-Rokslider
Nice graduation present. Game up there must be hit or miss. Did you fly East or West of the road and about how far in? Sounds like you have a great daughter. Nurse that likes to hunt can't beat that.

OP
Y

YellCoAR

Lil-Rokslider
Well I did go back and look at a couple other photos of the one in the picture and bingo that is a cow. The size comparison is still accurate and the ones we did not shoot had the right lower gear.

Bluman001

FNG
Nice graduation present. Game up there must be hit or miss. Did you fly East or West of the road and about how far in? Sounds like you have a great daughter. Nurse that likes to hunt can't beat that.
W
we flew about 60 miles west.
Base camp was about 50 miles south of deadhorse.
She is definitely great kiddo!!
B966E512-38C1-4BA6-AA3A-FF2180FF59CF.jpegEB875324-BECB-4719-A3EB-E9DCC7B41FE4.jpeg

BowMan86

FNG
While it is definitely not the most ideal hunt, is is one of the few ways you can hunt an amazing piece of Alaska and pretty much have the area all to yourself without having to pay a fortune in transporter fees. I have done this hunt the past 3 years in a row and we have all gotten our caribou everytime. This was the first year I attempted the archery hunt while my buddies went out past the five mile line. It was labor day weekend and there was a rediculous amount of hunters bow hunting the road. I was successful but the amount of people made it more miserable than the five mile hike. I decided after that to hike out past the 5 mile line and join my buddies and shot another bull the next morning. While the hike is miserable, and I swear everytime I will never do it again, it is rewarding at the same time. Where else can you go somewhere for the price of gas (split 3 ways) put in a little work and be all by yourself caribou hunting in such an amazing place. Sorry you didn’t have luck with the caribou. We definitely saw less where we were this year. They seemed to be a lot further north this year, but we still had plenty of opportunity.

Bluman001

FNG
While it is definitely not the most ideal hunt, is is one of the few ways you can hunt an amazing piece of Alaska and pretty much have the area all to yourself without having to pay a fortune in transporter fees. I have done this hunt the past 3 years in a row and we have all gotten our caribou everytime. This was the first year I attempted the archery hunt while my buddies went out past the five mile line. It was labor day weekend and there was a rediculous amount of hunters bow hunting the road. I was successful but the amount of people made it more miserable than the five mile hike. I decided after that to hike out past the 5 mile line and join my buddies and shot another bull the next morning. While the hike is miserable, and I swear everytime I will never do it again, it is rewarding at the same time. Where else can you go somewhere for the price of gas (split 3 ways) put in a little work and be all by yourself caribou hunting in such an amazing place. Sorry you didn’t have luck with the caribou. We definitely saw less where we were this year. They seemed to be a lot further north this year, but we still had plenty of opportunity.
I agree...it is certainly an economical way to to see some beautiful country and have a decent shot at bagging a caribou. After what I saw on the road as far as hunters I dont think I would ever want to pursue a bow hunt and I cant fathom the 5 mile death march. That said, there probably is not a cheaper way to hunt Alaska for an out of state hunter. I know the steese highway hunt is a madhouse also but I was thinking of looking into that since you can ride a wheeler in from the highway in areas. Ive witnessed the shitshow from the road there too although not as a hunter. I just happened to be doing tourist stuff one August and happened upon it. That year there were lots of animals within proximity of the road but there were lots of hunters and it didnt seem safe...especially in foggy conditions. I was thinking if a guy could ride a wheeler in for several miles and get away from the road hunters it might be better?. I may try that one in the near future.

AKjon

FNG
I agree...it is certainly an economical way to to see some beautiful country and have a decent shot at bagging a caribou. After what I saw on the road as far as hunters I dont think I would ever want to pursue a bow hunt and I cant fathom the 5 mile death march. That said, there probably is not a cheaper way to hunt Alaska for an out of state hunter. I know the steese highway hunt is a madhouse also but I was thinking of looking into that since you can ride a wheeler in from the highway in areas. Ive witnessed the shitshow from the road there too although not as a hunter. I just happened to be doing tourist stuff one August and happened upon it. That year there were lots of animals within proximity of the road but there were lots of hunters and it didnt seem safe...especially in foggy conditions. I was thinking if a guy could ride a wheeler in for several miles and get away from the road hunters it might be better?. I may try that one in the near future.
The other thing to remember about the Steese is that sometimes (like this year) the Caribou forget where they are supposed to be on opening day lol... it's like those crazy animals have minds of their own and do what they want. There were no Caribou to be had on the Steese highway this year until the last week of the season.

I would never plan, or recommend, the 40 mile hunt for an out of state hunter (not without a backup plan anyway) due to the nature of the "hunt". If the animals are there in numbers, there is a good chance that hunt gets closed by emergency order in less than a week (sometimes within a few days) and if there are no animals there, you are going on a really expensive camping trip.