Damaged feathers

I am fairly new to trad and was wondering if one brand of feathers is better than the next. I am using the gold tip classic arrows and am noticing that the feather that is in contact with the shelf is getting damaged and will probably need replaced in a month or two. Now to be fair I shoot 4-5 times a week about 30-40 arrows each session. My bow is a stalker take down with standard shelf rest and I use a finger tab. The arrows seem to fly great just noticing the wear and was wondering if I can do anything to protect them better.

G Posik

WKR
as far as feathers go I have good results with Truflight or Gateway. What is on the shelf? on my shelf I use the fuzzy side of industrial Velcro. Also are you shooting cock feather out? I shoot as much and more than you now and have not had any feather damage from shelf contact. You can also look at raising your knock point a little.

Glenn

jags

FNG
I would get a little feather wear from my shelf but nothing excessive and they would last all year pretty easily. You mentioned being new to trad, is your bow/arrow setup tuned up all proper. You might try shooting cock feather in, I shoot that way with less wear on the bottom feather.

Broken Arrow

Lil-Rokslider
Sounds to me like your nock point is to low and your arrow is contacting your shelf. I have arrows I've shot 1000s of times and the feathers are still in decent shape.

OP
G
I checked my nock point and I am right at 1/2 above center. I double checked my arrows and they are left fletch. Great idea about cock feather turned in. Guys thanks for all the good advice.

G Posik

WKR
I would try raising the nock point a little. That seems a little low. Are you shooting left or right handed? If right handed and left wing feathers try the cock feather in. I prefer right hand shooting and right wing feathers. Did you bare shaft tune?

Glenn

OP
G
I raised the nock point a tad hopefully that helps. I am shooting stock gold tip traditional arrows, so I believe the fletching is right heli coil. I am right handed. I will also try turning the cock feather. Thanks for all the help and comments guys. I really appreciate it.

supercub

FNG
If you very carefully hold your damaged feathers over steam they will straighten out and look brand new.

If you can't solve your fletching contact issue by raising your nocking point (and still maintaining proper arrow flight), you might want to experiment with a weaker spine arrow shaft or add point weight.

Tilzbow

WKR
If you're flight is good rotate your nocks periodically so the feathers wear evenly and/or try shooting cock vane in. Left wing vs right wing will make no difference, the arrow doesn't start rotating until after it leaves the bow.