Dang it, Colorado!

Just leafed through the Big Game booklet and discovered we have to buy a small game license (at a minimum) to get preference points. This really shakes up my application strategy. Either need to plan on hunting CO more often or get out of the game. $150ish is too much for me to spend every year if I’m not hunting there often. Anybody else going back to the drawing board?

Rich M

WKR
It's roughly $100 if you want a point for deer.

Hoping to draw for my first CO hunt this year. If it is any good will go back 1 more time. Not looking to make a habit out of it - just an adventure.

swampokie

WKR
Monkey see monkey do. Colorado and New Mexico joined the rest this year on the non refundable “tax” license. Well u never know maybe I’ll travel 1000 miles to do some rabbit hunting.

marktole

WKR
Colorado is the closest state for me to hunt so I hunt there every year in at least one season so it won’t affect me. I’ll keep building points and hunting OTC in the mean time.

However, I am not surprised Colorado made people buy a small game hunting license to get a point since they changed their system up. It seems almost every state does that. $3 fee per species application and a single $10 habitat stamp was far too cheap for CPW to let folks get away with.

I haven’t looked at any of the numbers from last year, but I’m sure there was an extreme influx of people buying points and entering the draw. I’m sure there was some concern about what that would do to the draw and being able to get tags with a hundred thousand (pulled this number out of a hat) new applicants without the financial barrier of fronting tag costs.

Last edited:

WKR
Its getting really expensive for non-residents. Last year's deal was beyond ignorant, but about what you would expect. Curious to see if a bunch of 0-2 point units get crushed with applicants this year.

When a state sells more hunting licenses the state gets more Pittman-Robertson funds for their department. We should expect this trend to continue as the G&F departments get wise.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I think they just cleaned it all up a bit. In the past if you had a license the previous year and only applied for points, they "didn't" charge you a PP fee for each species. But if you didn't have a license the year before, they charged you the PP fee. So a lot of guys were just buying any license to make sure they had that covered and didn't have to pay all the PP fees.

Now they've cleaned it up and only require you to buy a small game license first, and have gotten rid of the PP fees (except for the big 3). Now there is no need to have had a license the year before in order to avoid the fees. Now you pay the fee up front before you even apply.

Last edited:

tdhanses

WKR
I think they just cleaned it all up a bit. In the past if you had a license the previous year and only applied for points, they charged you a PP fee for each species. So a lot of guys were just buying any license to make sure they had that covered and didn't have to pay all the PP fees.

Now they've cleaned it up and only require you to buy a small game license first, and have gotten rid of the PP fees (except for the big 3). Now there is no need to have had a license the year before in order to avoid the fees. Now you pay the fee up front before you even apply.

Yup except they also raised the lic fee which increased it slightly.

MOHunter

Lil-Rokslider
I think they just cleaned it all up a bit. In the past if you had a license the previous year and only applied for points, they charged you a PP fee for each species. So a lot of guys were just buying any license to make sure they had that covered and didn't have to pay all the PP fees.

What do you mean gotten rid of the preference point fee? I thought deer, elk, and antelope were $40 each while moose, goat, and sheep are $100/ea.

OP
willfrye027
It's roughly $100 if you want a point for deer.

Hoping to draw for my first CO hunt this year. If it is any good will go back 1 more time. Not looking to make a habit out of it - just an adventure.

Maybe I did the math wrong. I thought it was $80 for small game plus $60ish per species?

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
What do you mean gotten rid of the preference point fee? I thought deer, elk, and antelope were $40 each while moose, goat, and sheep are $100/ea.

The only PP fees now are with moose, sheep, and goat at $50 for residents and $100 for NR's, but you will have the option to "opt out" of those fees and points with your application. This year there are no PP fees for the other species.........the new requirement to buy a small game license takes the place of the PP fees.

I also edited my last post as I got to typing too fast and stated it wrong.

OP
willfrye027
Hm I definitely read that wrong. Much more reasonable than I thought with no PP fee for deer.

Fitzwho

WKR
There's no PP Fee, but there is an application fee of $9 per species for elk, deer, antelope. Then the $100 point fee for the big boys.

Fromthedepths

Lil-Rokslider
I get the small game license but is it cheaper to apply for some nonreachable units to get a point or just buy the point ?

Fromthedepths

Lil-Rokslider
Ok thanks , is it possible to time the license to buy points 2 years in a row off 1 license purchase like some other states?

Bulldawg

WKR
I think it’s about time they did something like this. They should be charging more for a preference point though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MOHunter

Lil-Rokslider
The only PP fees now are with moose, sheep, and goat at $50 for residents and $100 for NR's, but you will have the option to "opt out" of those fees and points with your application. This year there are no PP fees for the other species.........the new requirement to buy a small game license takes the place of the PP fees.

I also edited my last post as I got to typing too fast and stated it wrong.

Thanks, I misread it.