Dang it, Kifaru Hellbender....

BG10

FNG
I kid you not, I was about to throw down on a Stryker XL last week and got the email from Kifaru about the Hellbender release. Now I'm unsure.

I kid you not, I was about to throw down on a Stryker XL last week and got the email from Kifaru about the Hellbender release. Now I'm unsure.
I’ve owned the Stryker. I received the hellbender Friday. Go with the hellbender. That stretchy pocket is da’bomb.

Burtz

Lil-Rokslider
Kifaru takes a lot of flack about slapping molle all over their packs…. IMO, the hellbender is a pack made to appease the molle hating crowd. Hellbender is nothing fully new, Bane and Stryker XL hybrid at most, and I love Kifaru, but how many times can u reinvent the wheel? Apparently a lot.

Kifaru takes a lot of flack about slapping molle all over their packs…. IMO, the hellbender is a pack made to appease the molle hating crowd. Hellbender is nothing fully new, Bane and Stryker XL hybrid at most, and I love Kifaru, but how many times can u reinvent the wheel? Apparently a lot.
Ok. lol. It’s obvious you don’t tree hunt from a saddle. That stretchy pocket makes it possible for me to put the saddle and ROS in. Without taking up half the bag. My sticks also lash on with t hot e straps that tighten the stretchy pocket. Leaving the whole bag and water bottle pockets empty.

It’s true it could go in the sling of the Stryker XL or Stryker. But, it’s cumbersome at the bottom of the tree to have to undo all of that, then do it back. Just to take the pack into the tree. Plus, it made cold weather clothes hauling tough once you get the saddle in the main bag. Took up a lot of room.

To each his own. And, I’m sure they built the bag because enough people expressed interest in it. It’s a great public land deer hunters bag where packing gear and deer at the same time is a reality.

Burtz

Lil-Rokslider
Ok. lol. It’s obvious you don’t tree hunt from a saddle. That stretchy pocket makes it possible for me to put the saddle and ROS in. Without taking up half the bag. My sticks also lash on with t hot e straps that tighten the stretchy pocket. Leaving the whole bag and water bottle pockets empty.

It’s true it could go in the sling of the Stryker XL or Stryker. But, it’s cumbersome at the bottom of the tree to have to undo all of that, then do it back. Just to take the pack into the tree. Plus, it made cold weather clothes hauling tough once you get the saddle in the main bag. Took up a lot of room.

To each his own. And, I’m sure they built the bag because enough people expressed interest in it. It’s a great public land deer hunters bag where packing gear and deer at the same time is a reality.
Not many tree hunting opportunities in SoCal, all the points you highlighted are noted. Kifaru bags are like Mathews bows, just enough changes to entice one to buy the new model, and I love my VXR 31.5,
it’s just their business model, got to innovate. I love my Kifaru products, and all their molle mind you.

I have the “Striker” pack by camelback. The irony of owning the kifaru “Stryker and Stryker xl”. The camelback striker has a similar stash pocket like the Hellbender, but it also has an admin pocket as part of that same panel. If the Hellbender stash area had a pocket as part of the stash panel, I would have bought it in a heartbeat. Imagine a Sherman pocket as the stash panel on the Hellbender, that would be next lvl.

Glad it worked, not a fan of stuff hanging all over the pack, moved on from any newer Kifaru stuff.
I don’t follow? Hanging all over the pack?

The grab it is streamlined, and is a good place to put extra clothes, or a turkey, or if you are dumb, find a rock that’s cool up on the mountain…😂

Attachments

• 0D1C2182-92BE-4ED3-B2EB-1502556625E2.jpeg
    0D1C2182-92BE-4ED3-B2EB-1502556625E2.jpeg
    197.5 KB · Views: 172

hunting1

WKR
I don’t follow? Hanging all over the pack?

The grab it is streamlined, and is a good place to put extra clothes, or a turkey, or if you are dumb, find a rock that’s cool up on the mountain…😂
I have used their packs from the chair to current, this is examples: No emotion in this because I still have Kifaru stuff I just don't like all the pods, pockets, etc. I tried the Stryker, and XL version Glad it works for you, quality stuff!
1650899232365.png1650899241947.png1650899356946.png

Anvil69

WKR
I ordered the Stryker XL just before the Hellbender came out, now I have both! I haven’t really used either yet but like them both. Perfect for day hunting whitetail, hogs and coyotes! Also backpack fishing trips? I usually end up with 2 of everything anyway because my 20 year old son goes with me and doesn’t have much gear. I’ve tried kuiu, exo and stone glacier, all good packs just Kifaru fits me best. Wish I would have had a Kifaru pack in the Marines! I now have 7! 😂 maybe I should sell a couple? A big glass of Kifaru Koolaid sounds good!

Burtz

Lil-Rokslider
Love my Stryker XL + Sherman setup. Wish I could justify another $400 in nylon, must be nice! 👍🏼😂
Once they hit the classifieds, “Its used, I swear I saved a ton” 😅

Anvil69

WKR
Love my Stryker XL + Sherman setup. Wish I could justify another $400 in nylon, must be nice! 👍🏼😂
Once they hit the classifieds, “Its used, I swear I saved a ton” 😅
Sounds like someone got kicked off the tit too soon? Do you need a hug little fella? 👍🤣

I used the pack hunting turkeys today. It is going to fit the bill perfectly. I’m surprised how much bigger it is then the stryker. It holds a lot more stuff. I had all kinds of stuff in it and still had half the bag left. I think it’s going to fit the bill nicely where the stryker was busting at the seams with winter layers and tree saddle gear.

Seriously, like the Stryker designs and now Kifaru adds Hellbender sizing. This HB & options seems to get as close to One-Pack-Does-All for hunting situations.
Wrong on both counts. You're somewhat confused. That description is already spoken for. It's called the Hoodlum as I've eluded to on many occasions. I can do a 10 day backcountry hunt or compress it down and road hunt if i so choose. It doesnt get anymore versatile than that ;)

Burtz

Lil-Rokslider
Wrong on both counts. You're somewhat confused. That description is already spoken for. It's called the Hoodlum as I've eluded to on many occasions. I can do a 10 day backcountry hunt or compress it down and road hunt if i so choose. It doesnt get anymore versatile than that ;)
I agree the Hoodlum is probably the closest thing to a “do it all pack” that kifaru has. The double zipper acces to the main is the best thing going for it. Can set one side for high access, and the other for lower.

But…running it as a day back was just not ideal. Way too much extra nylon, let alone adding more nylon with 3 pockets while in “day” mode. Which is why I offloaded it for the Stryker XL. Much better for my max 2-3 night trips, and truck based day trips.

Wrench

WKR
I would agree that getting empty/lightly loaded bags tightened down is something Kifaru could improve. The distance from clip to clip can only get so short using their buckle system. On the Stryker, if you attach to the front it will get tight even if empty. It’s not an issue if actually carrying much in the bag.
View attachment 402932
When compressed, cross the straps to the buckles on the opposite side. This is how my Mtn Warrior squishes to minimal size.20200928_184500.jpg