Danner boot sizing

jbmuley

FNG
OK I am pretty new to the hiking/hunting world but I bought some Danner boots which I know are not top-of-the-line but I do hope they will get me by, I am going to Colorado next month to elk hunt and want to do the right thing does anyone have any information on the Danner boots? I bought size 9 double E where normally I think I would only buy 9D which are normal instead of the extra wide but they felt better on my feet even though the size contraption they had for me to measure my feet were more around 9D will these boots stretch extremely? Should I return them for the regular size 9D? Any opinions or advice
The boots are the Danner vital uninslated

JGTWI

WKR
Classified Approved
I would stick with the wide size. I have had quite a few pairs of Danners over the years and I’ve found that Danner boots tend to run a bit narrow.

I wear a size 9 also, in regular width or wide depending on the boot. I actually have a pair of the insulated vitals and mine are 9EE.

Rich M

WKR
I have 12 wides and could only get a 12 medium. Wore it a bit and they formed to my feet. Nice boots still.

Danner Pronghorns, purchased 2017. Only wear em hunting and they fit great.

Last edited:

Travis907

WKR
I would stick with the wide size. I have had many pairs of Danners over the last 20 years of work and I’ve found that Danner boots definitely tend to run a bit narrow compared to other brands!
Good luck on your CO elk hunt!

Yoder

WKR
I've had a pair or the Danner Powderhorn boots for two years. I use orthotics in my shoes so I bought a size bigger than usual and the fit great. Very comfortable boot. Only problem is they are not waterproof anymore. I even treated the leather with snow seal. I guess they need it again. My feet got soaking wet just walking through wet grass last week.

OP
J

jbmuley

FNG
I would stick with the wide size. I have had many pairs of Danners over the last 20 years of work and I’ve found that Danner boots definitely tend to run a bit narrow compared to other brands!
Thanx

personally I wouldn't buy Danner. I've gone through 2 pairs of Acadias faster than. they should have worn out and the welting fails in about 3 months and Danner won't repair without charging more than the cost of the boot

kuhn4

Lil-Rokslider

doc holiday13 - What was the price to resole the boots? Acadias are $400-450 new. I talked with Danner customer service one month ago and was told the resole fee is roughly $60 or 65 for Acadias.​

Last edited:

bobr1

WKR
I find boot fitting is a really difficult thing, depending on a lot of factors. I don’t think I have a set of shoes/boots that are the same size. Really it comes down to how they feel on your feet when you walk in them. I don’t know much about the vitals but danners quality has gone down in my opinion, and from personal experience there customer service has not been good, typically never get a response from them when I email them. My first pair were great and lasted from 2008 to 2021, with 2 resoles from a local cobler. But eventually the goretex and insulation completely tore on the inside and only used them for around the property projects in the winter. I bought a new pair to replace them and was disappointed in the quality. I only got to wear them a couple times then I broke my leg/ankle and had to have one cut off in the ER. They also cut my prana pants, which is funny because I emailed both companies about repairs and told them what happened. Prana gave me a 50% off code for any items I wanted. Danner never responded, so take it for what it is worth. I wear kenetrek and crispi for my outdoor and hunting boots now. The kenetrek I got free through the VA after breaking leg/ankle. If you only plan on using them like a week or two a year then the danners are probably fine. But where I live and how often I’m outside it is worth the investment for the higher quality boots. Just my 2 cents.

T.C

FNG
I have the danner alsea. I wear 10.5 wide. The danners do seem to run tight width wise but fit good like a tennis shoe kinda. I'd definitely get wide if I was on the fence.

kuhn4

Lil-Rokslider
It would be a good idea to read on Danner's website what last they use for the boot you are interested in. They use a variety of lasts for different styles of boots/shoes.

OP
J

jbmuley

FNG
Thank ya
I have the danner alsea. I wear 10.5 wide. The danners do seem to run tight width wise but fit good like a tennis shoe kinda. I'd definitely get wide if I was on the fence.
thank you

Reactions: T.C

doc holiday13 - What was the price to resole the boots? Acadias are $400-450 new. I talked with Danner customer service one month ago and was told the resole fee is roughly $60 or 65 for Acadias.​

sure that might be the case but they won't re-sole if the welting comes up and I've burned through 2 sets of Acadias. first time I thought it might be my fault so I made sure to take a bit more care of my second set.. same thing happened.

LabMan

FNG
I have worn Danner boots for years. All different styles for hiking, upland hunting, sitting in blinds, riding motorcycles etc. I always buy the same size as that my shoes are, 10D, and have never had an issue. Now Rocky boots were terrible for size and wear, where the Danner's typically last for years of use.

Huntin Fool

Lil-Rokslider
I’m on my 2nd pair of vitals, mine are not the wide ones, they are a very comfortable boot, but doesn’t take long and they start lacking in the waterproofing department