Danner Pronghorns

ceejay

Lil-Rokslider
Too soft and flexible and prone to a multitude of problems found with inferior boots. Not a good choice for any serious hunting in mountainous terrain. Better boots and foot beds = happier feet = happy hunter.

I used to hunt only in Danner Pronghorns about 15 years ago. I had several pair with varying amount of insulation depending on the weather. About 10 years ago, Danner changed the pronghorn construction (started making them in China I believe), and the size of the toe box was changed. It was enlarged for some reason, so much that they fit really sloppy, and my foot would slide. Not to mention they looked like Ronald McDonald clown boots. I returned both pair I bought (one Non Insulated, and one 400 grams of insulation). I tried the Kenetrek Mountain Extremes after that, and wore them a couple years, but they just didn't fit right. I then bought a pair of Crispi GTX Hunter, and they fit perfectly and are the most comfortable boots I have ever worn. They have stayed waterproof, and have a lot of support for sidehilling. I really like them (a lot)! They are about twice what you would pay for Pronghorns, but for all-day comfort while hunting, it is money well spent.

VernAK

WKR
There's been about four generations of Pronghorns and each worse than the last. I wore them for years for general hunting and they were great but the latest pair lasted days only. No protective toe material. Threads wore through at seams.

Michael54

WKR
Can I ask what happened to them? did the soles wear out? the leather or gore tex fail?
They started leaking less than a week in and the sole started falling off and the stitching coming apart. I bought a pair of hoffman 10" hunters uninsulated and have over 90 miles on them this rabbit season. They are still working awesome and now that they are completely broken in even more comfortable than i thought they were when i first got them.

DerkPerk

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve had a pair for roughly 5 years now and they work as a decent upland and light hiking boot. I spent one day wearing them hunting west and while I didn’t have a problem with my feet, the boots just failed and started to make the worst clicking noises ever. I still wear them bird hunting as they fit me well and stay dry. For a $130 boot, they are okay at best.

I have switched to the Crispi Summit and man are they comfortable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dwils233

FNG
Mine were good, not great. Lasted 2 years of mostly upland hunting and some open country. The goretex and uppers started coming apart this year. Pretty flexible footbed too and a little on the heavy side. I was fine with them but will be more discerning on my next pair of boots. Not terrible for a starter boot though to figure out what you'll want in the next pair

I had a set that fell apart on me. My only danner boots that are doing well are my bull runs, some old school welted military boots that are going on 2 decades and some combat hikers. I think danner Qc has been up and down and TBH they are not the top of the heap in boot design or construction. If I were looking for something right now campsaver is running some good sales on crispi for around the same $250 The pronghorns list for. For another $100 you could get a full price boot from a top manufacturer like Crispi or LOWE or others not on sale.

I had Danners for years. Like everyone else has said, they just got worse and worse. My last pair were the Made in the USA Eastridge model. They leaked pretty soon after I got them.

I recently made the switch to Crispis. I have a heavyweight insulated pair and a lighter, unisulated pair. I don’t have long term results yet, but the initial impressions are favorable.

They are pricey, but probably worth it in the long term, especially for a western hunt.

I was in the same boat as you, and this forum is a wealth of knowledge. Lots of helpful opinions here. Also lots of heads up on gear deals get posted up to take some of the sting out of the cost.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Oregonboy

WKR
I’d look at other options, Danner ain’t what it used to be.

I’ve been wearing Crispi’s for 4 years now and have very little to complain about.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
There's a reason they're called Pronghorns and not Elkhorns. For some people they might be fine on the Plains. I wore a pair for one morning while elk hunting in 2007 and couldn't wait to get them off. Then thought I'd use them around the house.......I've never hated a pair of boots as much as those. I wouldn't wear them now if Danner paid me to wear them.......even for Pronghorn.

Pronghorns are junk imo. I’ve had one pair with a caulk sole lasted 2 weeks falling timber. This was 10 years ago I think it’s a safe bet they have gotten worse since then from what I’ve heard

KineKilla

WKR
I'm apparently the odd man out but have had nothing but good experiences using my Danner Pronghorns here in Utah for roughly 5 years now. I didn't pay the $300 for the made in USA version and still use them to this day, probably made in China but my feet don't care.
d1eae06e88eff427bb9dca09f3b6b916.jpg
139864af41d65130e9b7b0fff7b6ae82.jpg
7eb3829a55df5ad16284ae8c95435ce8.jpg

Fatcamp

WKR
I've got an uninsulated pair I bought last fall. Put a bunch of miles on them and they work well. Still waterproof. I don't love them but they have worked.