Danner Thorofare Review

I just ordered a pair of Thorofare boots directly from Danner. With tax, the price shipped to California, is $545.

Over the next couple of weeks I’ll post a review of the boots during break in and use. I’m hopeful these turn out to be a great “Made in USA” alternative to other high end boots.

I did as much research on these boots as I could. Being new, there just isn’t much information out there. I appreciate the guys here on Rokslide that did post on this boot and Danner’s Cragrat.

I’ve owned Danner boots in the past and have had mixed results. Most recently I had a pair of their Combat Hikers. Overall they were good to me, but were too short and didn’t offer the ankle support I thought I needed to carry the heavy hunting pack.

I work in the road construction industry and wear leather boots every day. My leather boots are comfortable, but not suitable for hunting or carrying a pack in the mountains. My current hunting boots are Belleville 950s. The Bellevilles are actually a decent boot for the price, but the stitched rand and factory insole leave a lot to be desired.

Before ordering, I wanted to give myself the best opportunity to get the right size. Hopefully I don’t have to deal with sending the first pair back to get a different size. I generally seem to wear a 10-1/2 to 11 size in “wide”. Danner’s website says their boots are true to size so I purchased an Anodyne foot measuring device on Ebay. I have had mixed results over the years with stores measuring my feet, so doing it myself seemed to be the best route and it was’t that expensive.
F8738CD8-8961-4700-8D7D-26E8C3F5A996.jpeg
Current shoes/boots and Anodyne.
I’ll post more when the new boots arrive in a couple days.

Last edited:
OP
M
Boots arrived on time. Initial impressions are positive. The boots exterior looks smaller than my other 10-1/2 size boots. Initial fit seems OK with what I would consider my lighter socks (darn toughs).
350E5EEC-7C90-463A-8E8F-AF73AD053E2A.jpeg
CD8EF961-BA09-484F-9B06-A8D151A81150.jpeg

OP
M
I wore the boots a day to work then 7 easy miles over 2 days with a 25# pack. The break-in of the boots feels pretty good so far.

Michael54

WKR
Im curious to see how these ones hold up over time. I was a Danner for life guy up until a few years ago.

keepriding

Lil-Rokslider
I tried danners a few times and before I knew better thought they were ok. Finally decided to try kennetrek a few years ago and the difference is amazing. The first day or two they were tough to get used to because they are a stiff boot. Great support and nice dry warm feet. I would go try some on, they are worth the money if they fit your foot. Every bodies feet seem to differ but, kennetrek, lowa, Meindl, are all worth a look in my opinion.

OP
M
I’ve had Lowa and Meindl. I’m hoping these American made Danners are a good alternative to the foreign made boots.

Following, I too am interested in Danners because they are American made. I can never get myself to pull the trigger because reviews and feedback are all over the place. Hope these work out for the op

Black hog

FNG
I think the price will keep people from buying them they are far more expensive than proven high quality boots but this is just my opinion

OP
M
I think the price will keep people from buying them they are far more expensive than proven high quality boots but this is just my opinion

Before I purchased the Thorofares, I looked at pretty much all the comparable boots in this style. The Danners seemed to compare price wise with all the big name mountain boots.
Kenetrek Mountain Guides for instance list at $480.
Schnees’ Granites are $479
Lowa Hunter GTX are $460

Danner ships for free and offers free returns (which I’m sure the others do as well). My boots were made in USA by American hands, so I’m not paying for the outsourcing of an American job to purchase foreign made boots. Danner also pays US taxes and employs US Veterans, another huge win in my book.
These boots are expensive for sure, I’ll give my opinion if they were worth it for me in a few months.

Last edited:
OP
M
Review update: one of my buddies up in Alaska took the plunge and bought a pair of these Danners, arrived a little over a week ago. He doesn’t use social media or post on forums, so he gave me a quick review. He’s been doing some short hikes with light weight and finally put the pack on to fill one of his deer tags.

“Couple miles of snow, ice, rock and mud. Flat to 30 degrees of incline/decline. Carried 57 pounds of weight. Wore very high volume/thick wool socks, entire sock not just sole. Boot was very comfortable, no hot spots anywhere. Plenty of toe room and minimal heel rise. Down hill slide did not result in toe smashing. Soles gripped well in all terrain. Height of boot felt comfortable and overall boot was sturdy but not overly stiff. Still satisfied.
990516B0-FFF0-40AF-954C-F5BEE678D812.jpeg

He already treated his boots for water proofness, I haven’t don anything to mine yet, but it’s pretty dry where I am right now.

OP
M
Here is another Thorofare update for December.
I’ve managed to put some more miles on my boots in dry/desert conditions. All “day pack” stuff hiking in Joshua Tree and Nevada desert mountains.

I did get some long and steep down hill hiking in. I have to give kudos to the lacing system and footbed of the boot. My toes never hit the front. I’ve also tried jogging short distances in these boots, reminiscent of boots and utes runs while being Marine infantry. The tongue laces properly on the boots and stays centered. There doesn’t seem to be any type of bind or pressure point.

My buddy in Alaska continues with his Thorofares, no complaints from him. He still has a couple deer tags left and is getting out in the snow. He says the boots are working good with the Katula micro spikes.

I saw on Youtube that RMEF has posted some Danner info. I assume Danner sponsors the organization.

D7139FE0-117C-49FD-90F3-150EFA0F779B.jpegF8B90DD2-B054-4444-9E48-751E642A304B.jpeg

OP
M
Quick update on these Danners as I’ve continued to put miles on these boots.
They are starting to look used now and I’m sure I have well over 50-miles on them. The soles, rand and upper are all holding up well. I have not treated the upper leather yet, still not sure what I’m going to do.

I’ve never had a blister or hot spot. Most of my use has been steep desert terrain with sharp rocks, cactus, etc.

I returned 3 pairs of Danner boots this last fall due to them falling apart, I looked at these but couldnt take the risk, i think danner 10 years ago was awesome since then i believe they went cheap, hopefully these boots are made to last. I just bought the Crispi guides.

OP
M
I returned 3 pairs of Danner boots this last fall due to them falling apart, I looked at these but couldnt take the risk, i think danner 10 years ago was awesome since then i believe they went cheap, hopefully these boots are made to last. I just bought the Crispi guides.

that’s a bummer you haven’t had success with Danner. I really wanted this style of boot, but wanted to buy American made if possible. I’ll keep going on this thread, good or bad, as I continue to wear these boots. I’m really hoping they will be a viable alternative to the foreign made boot in similar price range.

I wore the boots again today, about 3-miles on a hike with the wife, and they still feel great. Some of the hiking I’ve been doing is in real steep and rocky desert terrain. The rocks are sharp and I weigh 220# plus have been carrying 35#-45# pack. There is a softer rubber (foam) foam between the rand and sole where a couple chunks have been scalloped out. It just looks like “wear” and shouldn’t affect anything. The rand, uppers and sole are wearing good 👍
F559D51D-F6BC-4501-A650-8E61488A98D1.jpeg

OP
M
Quick update: Sunday here in SoCal I went out to do my annual check on the condition of some Desert Bighorn water sources in the Orocopia Mountains. The terrain here is rugged and steep. I hiked about 7-miles in the Thorofares carrying a 30# pack. The temp reached almost 90°, which is pretty normal for this time of year.

I’m still happy with these boots, no issues other than they don’t look new anymore.

I’ve never seen our desert this green from the recent rains and the conditions for water should be good for the sheep this year.
CB840BE8-A11C-4A10-8C14-F8C2E736233A.jpeg9AAD832D-FB47-4BFF-AFF5-AB63AE063576.jpeg

Michael54

WKR
Same. I can't put money behind a company that has left me cold, wet, and miserable on numerous occasions.