Dark timber brush buster

Searched high and low on this site for a definitive answer to the “durable mid-layer” question and it seems like short of my dans upland coat, I’m going to have to settle.

I’m looking at the Kuiu Strong Fleece 210, the sitka mountain jacket and the kuiu kutana hybrid 3defx. I run very hot when moving and the primary purpose of this piece will be as a lightweight protective layer for moving through brush and dark timber. This will be a backcountry piece so a soft shell is out of the question.

I know all of these pieces are durable enough but I need something light enough to where I don’t overheat while hiking. Both pieces from Kuiu have body mapped insulation for carrying a pack, which I like but I feel they still may be too warm. Short of ordering all three, my option is to repost the same question that’s been asked 25 times and gotten roundabout answers.

Any of my warm blooded fellow members who have experience with any of the above, please enlighten me.

For me it is the firstlite corrugate jacket.
Its basically just a stretchy shell.
I use it to protect my wool when coming up thru the briars out of a river bottom.
Breaks the wind fairly well.
It will repel a light rain but definitely not a rain jacket.

OP
J
For me it is the firstlite corrugate jacket.
Its basically just a stretchy shell.
I use it to protect my wool when coming up thru the briars out of a river bottom.
Breaks the wind fairly well.
It will repel a light rain but definitely not a rain jacket.
How is it for breathability?

OP
J
I think its as good as can be expected.
It doesn't have any windstooper or anything.
It just taking the same material as the corrugate or ascent pants and making a jacket.
Gotcha! I appreciate it. I’ll check it out further but still interested in the other three if anyone has thoughts

Smallie

Lil-Rokslider
I bought the strongfleece 210 looking for something similar to what you are looking for such as brush busting and protecting my merino layer hiking around. I run hot on the move as well and I brought it to SD last year and it was too warm for what I wanted. It’s great down in the 50s moving in the Midwest and very durable but I ended up getting the corrugate guide jacket as mentioned above. Haven’t done a ton of hiking in it yet but it seems like it’s what I should have gotten first

OP
J
I bought the strongfleece 210 looking for something similar to what you are looking for such as brush busting and protecting my merino layer hiking around. I run hot on the move as well and I brought it to SD last year and it was too warm for what I wanted. It’s great down in the 50s moving in the Midwest and very durable but I ended up getting the corrugate guide jacket as mentioned above. Haven’t done a ton of hiking in it yet but it seems like it’s what I should have gotten first
How do you think it would perform in the 30s and below over a lightweight base layer? That will be it’s intended range

Smallie

Lil-Rokslider
How do you think it would perform in the 30s and below over a lightweight base layer? That will be it’s intended range
I wore it twice pheasant hunting in the 30s with a peloton 97 underneath and a vest on top of that and was very happy with that combination. Wore it once with a Filson flannel over the top of that and was too hot. If sitting still though the 210 is not very warm I think it really performs best while on the move. Wore it once as a midlayer in a tree stand in the 40s and went back to the fanatic hoodie