Darkening antlers?

Howler80

FNG
Any quik and effective tricks to darken whitetail deer antlers? That will last

Hondo

WKR
Potassium permanganate mixed with water. Apply it with a sponge, rag or brush. Let it dry then repeat until you get the desired shade. Wear some nitrile gloves or you will be rinsing that stuff off your hands into the next day. I'll follow up with a light coat of mineral oil.

HiMtnHntr

WKR
There used to be a product out there called "wild antler magic". This stuff really just seemed like dirt? Anyhow, mix with water into a mud consistency and rub it in. Let ot dry and buff it out. Spray with satin Clearcoat. I found that method to produce the most realistic antler color. I have restored several sets that way and you'd be hardpressed to find anyone who can tell the difference.

I’ve colored elk antlers with regular acrylic paints with some water. Get a couple colors and rub it in with a rag. As mentioned after you are done spray a clear coat of polyurethane or rub in poly to lock it in.

Whatever you do practice first on some old shed antlers to get it right!

FLATHEAD

WKR
Wood smoke works well.
Found out by accident doing a euro in the back yard
over a fire.

Lytro

WKR
70B89A8F-75D2-42D9-A8EE-CAF1980AE64A.jpegThis took less than 5 minutes with coffee grounds and minimal effort put into it. I just smeared it on it and wiped it off after it dried. I’m sure there are some good tips online if you’re looking for a better end product.