Darn Tough alternatives

Vandy321

WKR
My darn tough (full cushion) are impeding circulation a bit, enough that last november my feet froze bad when they shouldn't have. I've paid more attention to it this winter and spring and I'm pretty confident it's the sock, not my lacing tech.

I have had the same 3 pairs for going on year 3 now, I try to stretch them, but no luck. Seems to be the extra scrunchy area on top of the foot.

Anyone with similar issues alleviate that with the normal cushion? I was thinking of giving the SG socks a shot instead?

Any other options that have a warranty similar to DT?

And for sizing, before someone says it, my feet are on the small end of this size range, next size up and they are far too long on my foot

Last edited:

ErikM

FNG
The full cushion is noticeably “full” across the top of the foot as compared to the regular boot cushion. I’ve recently ordered and tried out both to compare and while the full works for my narrow/bony foot, I can see how it may not work for some. Might be worth trying the normal cushion if you’re a fan of Darn Tough.

cburgin72

Lil-Rokslider
I have a few pair of cloudline socks. I ordered some minus33 socks after the season this year. I haven't spent a whole lot of time in them, but they were super comfortable when I tried them on after receiving them.

mlgc20

WKR
The last thing I'm worried about on socks is the warranty. I just want the socks that perform best for me for the specific application. So, I have socks from several manufacturers for different purposes. Mostly I do Smartwool. But, I sprinkle in Injiji. I like DT. But, they are overbuilt for many lightweight applications IMO.

I wear the DT light cushion most of the time. Specifically the 2011 hunter. That might help as theres no real cushion on top of the foot. But for me all darn tough socks fit snug, and I prefer that. An even lighter option is the 1952 spur.

Might want to look at the smartwool PHd hunt light or medium crew. They definitely have a looser feel to them throughout, but also they dont fall down.

I have a few pairs of each, seems like the reason I like the DTs might be the reason youd like the Smartwools. I do wear a medium in DT and a large in Smartwool, Im a 9.5.

Last edited:

Hondo

WKR
I've had a similar issue with some Darn Tough styles I have. I've been extremely happy with First Lite socks for the last 2 seasons. Comfortable, supportive and warm with no circulation issues.

You could go to a tailor and have em modify the top to create "button holes." Reinforced slits to ease the top part that is causing your issue. Talk to your doctor and make sure any swelling in your lower legs isn't sign of a more serious medical condition.

Last edited:

FromEm

FNG
First Lite and Smartwood PhD have been my go-to for years. That reminds me that I need to restock this year because they are now stiff after a couple seasons of use.