Darn Tough vs. Smartwool

WKR
A few posts here have mirrored my experience. The darn tough socks seem to last longer and stay pretty tight. The smartwool tend to stretch a little more. I like the darn tough socks better in everything except the heaviest hunting socks. Those seem to be too thick for some of my hunting boots, and I typically reach for the smartwool hunting socks over those.

Poser

WKR
I have and use both. Really depends on the model. I definitely prefer articulated socks to the non articulated, basic hiking model that SW outs out. That being said, the PHd series is pretty awesome and their thin, summer socks with extra toe and heel fibers are great.

RadDad

Lil-Rokslider
I use both. My darn tough socks work great for early to mid season hunts or summer hiking. For winter, I won’t use anything other than SmartWool. That’s mostly under waders for steelhead fishing or duck hunting but I’d have to assume it’d be the same for big game. Both options I run liners…always.

Clrems77

WKR
Another vote for DT. I’ve used both heavily as daily socks in the office, gym, running, hiking, cold and hot. Various thickness and cushion and as most have said, the DT hold up much better. Coupled with the lifetime no questions asked warranty, you wont find better sock.

philos

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have both and no surprise here but the Darn Tough hold up better. Smartwool are comfy but I had one pair unravel and others loose their fit. I like both but for durability Darn Tough are the way to go.

rclouse79

WKR
I can’t give a fair comparison. I bought one pair of Darn Tough socks and a DARN mouse chewed the toes out of it the first night inside my Cimmaron. One of the drawbacks of floorless shelters.
I still wear the same pair of smart wool socks I bought ages ago, along with others I have added. They have not given me a reason to look elsewhere.

Daniel15

FNG
Stuck between going all in on darn tough or Smartwool. Both are great options but I have an opportunity to get bulk of each. Any input is welcome.
Never had the smart wool but definitely not disappointed in my darn tough. Best sock I’ve had

SpringM1A

Lil-Rokslider
Count me as one who was surprised how much more durable he found Darn Tough to be compared to Smartwool. The latter is fluffier, for sure, though. Yet when it came to decide what socks to send in to Insect Shield for treatment, I went with only Darn Tough.

Not that SmartWool is bad - they're not - it's just that to me, there's no contest between the two.

A soccer sock can be used as a sort of "exterior liner" over another sock, like a SmartWool, and save it some wear and tear.

I've also hiked in Costco's house brand merino wool socks. They're OK. They pill very quickly (probably I should have only ever washed them inside-out), but they haven't worn through.

Q child

WKR
Stuck between going all in on darn tough or Smartwool. Both are great options but I have an opportunity to get bulk of each. Any input is welcome.
I prefer darn tough. But I wouldn’t describe myself as “all in.” It’s more of a casual thing.

Macintosh

WKR
Used to work with some darn tough sales reps who kept me hooked up with socks every time Id see them. At this point everything else has worn out long ago. This past year I finally wore out some of those first DT’s that I got many years ago—they literally lasted almost a decade of wearing once a week or so. Those originals were “darn tight” and I dont think as nice to wear, but man they lasted forever. The newer ones are a bit softer and stretchier, which is a good thing. They dont wear quite as well as the originals, but they still triple the lifespan I get out of other socks (apparently socks are a forever Christmas present). They also employ a good number of people around here and by all accounts are a good company to work for and take care of their people. I personally don't see any reason to buy from another brand.

zrodwyo

Lil-Rokslider
I wear a pair of smartwool socks out in a few months. I still wear the first pair of darn tough socks I bought 7 years ago.

alpinej7

Lil-Rokslider
LIke many here +1 for Darn Tough. I have used both extensively for hunting, backpacking, town use, and search and rescue. They are better constructed and last much longer.

Darn Tough is my goto - they last forever and I never get blisters wearing those with boots. Smartwool just wear out too fast.

Someone earlier mentioned Point 6 - I have snowboarding socks made by them and they are super comfy and last a long time. I may try some more Point 6 socks for other than snow sports sometime. The thing with Darn Tough is they just last and you don't have to buy new socks. I ahve also warrantied them before too - pretty cool warranty.

Haven’t tried Darn Tough yet, but have several SmartWool. They all pill really bad. Eddie Bauer Guide Pro Crew Merino is my go-to. Have several pairs that are three years old, and I wear those three pairs everyday for everything. They’ve outlasted two pairs of running shoes.

Dbguinn

FNG
DT, warranty or not lasts longer on me. That said, SW is usually more comfortable and a better fit on me.