Data Interpretation

Whisky

WKR
All of my questions pertain to MT general elk and mule deer....

Generally, when it comes to success rates, what do you gather the reasoning is the NR success rates are so much higher than R for certain units? Is this because NR's are using guides, paying for land access, or just willing to fill their tag on lesser animals towards the end of the trip? Are these good units to stay away from because of that fact alone?

Are there any resources that tells a guy how much and what kind of public land are in each unit? I would like to use "acres of public land" as a way to further narrow down some options.

That said, I have narrowed down a couple spots with the info I currently have, and when searching out additional info on the web it appears they are obvious popular spots just with the amount of info a Google search yields. The popularity scares me. But the success rates are what they are (pretty good). What do you make of that? More hunters obviously, which is never a good thing IMO.

Thanks for any insight!!
Whisky

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
All of my questions pertain to MT general elk and mule deer....

Generally, when it comes to success rates, what do you gather the reasoning is the NR success rates are so much higher than R for certain units? Is this because NR's are using guides, paying for land access, or just willing to fill their tag on lesser animals towards the end of the trip? Are these good units to stay away from because of that fact alone?

Are there any resources that tells a guy how much and what kind of public land are in each unit? I would like to use "acres of public land" as a way to further narrow down some options.

That said, I have narrowed down a couple spots with the info I currently have, and when searching out additional info on the web it appears they are obvious popular spots just with the amount of info a Google search yields. The popularity scares me. But the success rates are what they are (pretty good). What do you make of that? More hunters obviously, which is never a good thing IMO.

Thanks for any insight!!
Whisky

I will shoot you a PM, brother.

But for general use the Mt Cadastral website has land ownership for the entire state, for free.

Nonresidents generally have greater success quite often because they are heavily invested in the hunt, and spend a significant number of days afield, while many residents maybe hunted one afternoon by going for a drive with the kids.

I will second using the MT Cadastral site. It is very helpful. I would guess, like BB, that non res hunters put in a lot of hours because they pay a lot of money to come and hunt. When you only drop 16 bucks on a resident deer tag it is a no brainer to have one in your pocket even if you don't really do anything but drive the roads on a Sunday afternoon.

OP
Whisky

Whisky

WKR
Thanks for the info guys!!!

I poked around on Mt Cadastral, looks pretty helpful.

Whisky