Daughter is taking hunter safety this week (CO)...

Those who have been around here for at least the last year or two know Emmalee, my youngest daughter (12), is my sidekick on the mountain whether it is hunting, camping, riding the ATV, or fishing. She's logged more miles/hours in the woods than a lot of adult men and definitely has processed her fair share of meat since she's been old enough to wield a knife and feed the grinder. This week she is finally taking her hunter safety class. Admittedly, she is not sure how much she really wants to hunt herself right now. My stance has always been if you live in a house with guns you will get your HS and learn gun safety. Of course, we have gone over guns and gun safety all of her life but learning from another is always good.

I'm big on teaching her fieldcraft in addition to just the "hunting" part. Last year she became very adept at the GPS navigation and the basics of field navigation using paper maps and compass. Her pack contains her own "essentials/safety/survival kit" which she has learned how to use each piece. That is even more valuable than the other "hunting" learning in my estimation.

I figure, regardless of whether she catches the compulsive bug for hunting or not, or just tolerates going with the old man for a few more years, by starting to acquire points now at 12 she is going to have a heck of a following of suitors when she is 40 and allowed to date!

This year she'll be going on a muzzleloader deer (doe) and muzzleloader elk hunt (which can convert into a cow tag for late season rifle for youth in her unit). For all of my disgruntlements about the CO draw system and habitat management versus regulation enforcement, in looking at the regs they have definitely made it affordable and approachable for youth to enter the field. For that I am thankful.

We'll be documenting her first hunts this year so stay tuned!

Last edited:

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Atta boy. My oldest and middle daughter did their HS when they were 12, and my middle daughter finally got her ML elk tag in 2017 and had a blast hunting and shooting a great bull. My oldest doesn't really want to hunt, but what she doesn't know is that after she graduates college in 2.5 years she's going on an elk hunt, whether she wants to or not.......as she'll have 10 points then.

Rob5589

WKR
Awesome! Mine did hers last year @ 12. Taking her to ID this year for her first big time hunt. Should be a blast, pun intended 😁

granite7

Lil-Rokslider
Good for her! Colorado has a great novice hunter program if she wants to hunt upland also. My daughter’s first big game hunt was in Wyoming this year, but I’m hoping she joins me on the weekends for Colorado 2nd rifle. Those two experiences seemed to have really solidified her drive to hunt.
835c4e0366c74bdc6d94465e6121fb64.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
loggerchas
Class was rescheduled to this weekend. Kiddo passed! Archery deer hunt on the plains for us this year. Lots of work needs to go into prep and practice but looking forward to this hunt with Emmadoodles!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk