Dave Smith whitetail buck decoy

Shoreguy

FNG
Anyone have any experience with the Dave Smith buck decoy? Do doe’s dislike/react to it like they do to cheaper decoys? I am thinking of getting one for the prerut in a field to pull bucks into bow range.

Anyone selling a used one? Im located in Maryland

dtrkyman

WKR
A guy I guided for bought one, the only benefit is the realistic look. It is heavy, it stunk like plastic for a long time(months) Heavy as hell and hard to carry around, we only used it where I could drive right to the set up.

As far as doe reaction I don't think it was any different than the carry lite or boss bucks we used, sometime they ignored it, sometimes they ran and sometimes they just hung out.

It does have a specific posture to attract aggressive bucks.

We killed bucks over decoys every year and had great luck with the old carry lite you can not find anymore, I stopped working with those guys after the one season with the DSD buck, we didn't use it a ton due to the smell!

Funny thing is the guy that bought it killed three bucks in a row over a decoy, 2 seasons, 2 were over 170" but he has money and couldn't resist the DSD.

If you need to carry a decoy in I would look at something else.

TaperPin

WKR
At first I thought this was going to be a post about a decoy to catch poachers. lol

Wheels

WKR
They look cool, but you will get the same reactions as you do with a Boss Buck and save yourself $500.