Davis Go Tent or bigger?

Peaks&Creeks

Lil-Rokslider
Hey folks,

I’m curious if any of you that run a Go Tent and also have a larger wall tent like a 12x14, what do you use more, and is setup fairly equal as far as time and effort goes?

I hunt solo 80-90% of the time, but I do occasionally have the wife, kid, and two dogs come out. As far as hunting partners, I don’t have more than one other join me usually and some friends from other states have shown interest in the future, so maybe 3 is possible. I don’t wanna buy a tent that’s too big or cumbersome in hopes that one day I’ll have to fit 3 people in it.

So, do those with a Go Tent find it too cramped with more than two people? Would something like a 10x12 or a 12x14 be a good size for mostly myself and then the occasional family addition?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dead eye BT

Lil-Rokslider
I don’t have a Go Tent, but I am considering getting one just for the space savings in my pickup bed…

My 12x14 is ideal for 2 people (a comfy palace really), and works just “barely okay”for 3 people (feels pretty cramped). I’d really not want to cram 3 into a Go Tent.

iseebucks

Lil-Rokslider
Hey folks,

I’m curious if any of you that run a Go Tent and also have a larger wall tent like a 12x14, what do you use more, and is setup fairly equal as far as time and effort goes?

I hunt solo 80-90% of the time, but I do occasionally have the wife, kid, and two dogs come out. As far as hunting partners, I don’t have more than one other join me usually and some friends from other states have shown interest in the future, so maybe 3 is possible. I don’t wanna buy a tent that’s too big or cumbersome in hopes that one day I’ll have to fit 3 people in it.

So, do those with a Go Tent find it too cramped with more than two people? Would something like a 10x12 or a 12x14 be a good size for mostly myself and then the occasional family addition?

I am in the same exact situation you are in. I think I will be purchasing the 12x14 because setup time will only be about 20 minutes more than the Go Tent from what I have heard and there is no reason to get a small wall tent when the intended purpose is for setting up next to a vehicle. If you are going to pack the wall tent in with horses than definitely go with the Go Tent but if truck camping get the 12x14.

I have a 10x12 and 16x20 wall tent. I had a 12x14 I bought used and wore it out. I presume you are planning on using this to truck camp (there are now other choices I would go with if you are packing the tent in). 10x12 is perfect for 2 with stove and gear, 12x14 would work for 3 people, but would be a palace for 2.

If you planning on packing the tent in, you might look at the Seek Outside Courthouse or a Tipi to save weight and bulk. Additionally, keep in mind that a wall tent, poles, stakes, stove... takes up a god portion of the bed of a truck, and does not leave much room for other gear, food... With that said, I prefer canvas, at least the roof being canvas, as condensation is not an issue. My 16x20 is is made with the "realite" material (not canvas) from Montana Canvas. Using a wood stove, condensation has not been an issue, but there is some condensation; but it not being an issue is manly because there has only been 3 sleeping in it, while others slept in their own tents. It has been the gathering tent though, tent to eat in... considering all the room. So, if you do go with a non-canvas tent, you will likely want a liner to help with the condensation.

Please let us know what you go with and how it works out for you.

Last edited:
OP
Peaks&Creeks

Peaks&Creeks

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the great replies. I will be using this for truck camping only, so as mentioned above, I’m thinking of doing away with the Go Tent and go with a 10x12. The walls on the 10x12 are 5’ vs Go Tents 2.8’. I really did consider the 12x14, but since I’ll be mostly in it by myself, it’s a lot of extra dead space that needs to be heated.

I measured out the dimensions of a 10x12 and 12x14 at my works warehouse, and then drew in the dimensions of my cots. It seems that 2 people with my Davis Big Boy cots, stove, and a small table would fit perfectly. There’s even room for 2 small chairs if we didn’t wanna sit on cots, but then you’re starting to have to move things out of the way to walk around. The 12x14 would bring that same layout except for 3 people.

I’d actually like to go look at one in standing form and may head over to Montana Canvas this weekend to make sure my measurement assumptions are true inside a real tent.

You may want to consider one of the 12x12 tents, as it will likely be a bit more versatile, and much easier to sleep 3.

hh76

Lil-Rokslider
I've got a Go Tent, and would say that it is a two man max, unless you bring bunk cots. With two in there, there isn't much room for gear, or chairs. With one person, it's very comfortable.

As a test, I set it up in the backyard, and had three kids and myself relatively comfortable on cots, but one cot was a little too close to the stove to be comfortable.

You might look at the kodiak Canvas 12x12. You can also get an enclosed poarch for it. It is much less bulk than a packers tent.

I've got a Go Tent, and would say that it is a two man max, unless you bring bunk cots. With two in there, there isn't much room for gear, or chairs. With one person, it's very comfortable.

As a test, I set it up in the backyard, and had three kids and myself relatively comfortable on cots, but one cot was a little too close to the stove to be comfortable.

Would the bunk cots fit in the go tent?? I’d really like this tent for myself and my 2 kids when they are big enough to tag along. If it’ll fit a bunk cot (maybe centered on the end?) then I think we could all reasonably fit in there with a stove.

hh76

Lil-Rokslider
Would the bunk cots fit in the go tent?? I’d really like this tent for myself and my 2 kids when they are big enough to tag along. If it’ll fit a bunk cot (maybe centered on the end?) then I think we could all reasonably fit in there with a stove.
We fit them with 2 other cots and the stove. Not ideal, one cot was too close to the stove to sleep with it running.

I'm still on the fence about whether this was the better choice than a 10x12. Gotent really works great for one or two, but the additional headroom would be nice.

Attachments

• IMG_20211016_133306824.jpg
    IMG_20211016_133306824.jpg
    165.2 KB · Views: 98

jblam

Lil-Rokslider
I had me, cousin, and his two kids in a 10x14 kodiak flex bow with a set of bunk cots and 2 regular cots. We’d leave one cot broken down until it was bed time and there was plenty room for card games, cooking, etc. One buddy heater kept everyone cozy, and it was ~12 degrees one night. Moving one cot during the day isn’t the end of the world!!

Tyrock

FNG
i think you should try one of the 12x12 tents, as it will be more versatile, and much easier to sleep in.

sneaky

"DADDY"
We fit them with 2 other cots and the stove. Not ideal, one cot was too close to the stove to sleep with it running.

I'm still on the fence about whether this was the better choice than a 10x12. Gotent really works great for one or two, but the additional headroom would be nice.
You could heat a half dozen Go Tents with that stove in the pic lol

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

hh76 - how long does setup take with your go tent? I can get a 10x12 wall tent and stove for about the same price as the go tent without a stove, but at the penalty of twice the weight and likely longer setup. I’m a weekend warrior more often than setting up a weeklong camp so I’m thinking the go tent would still be a little better option for me, especially since I’m usually by myself.

I love using the Go Tent. It's perfect for me and another on weekend trips. If I'm staying longer then 3 nights though I'll take a 12x14 Davis wall tent. I can set my Go Tent up in around 10 - 15 minutes solo. I'll do it again this weekend.

How long does it take you to set up your 12x14?

I have a 12x14 Davis with the "traditional" poles. It takes me, solo, about 20 minutes to get it set up.

Like they said, for two its a palace, and for three I think it will be "tight" depending on the weather. For immediate family(significant other, kids), 3 is definitely do-able, but I don't think I'd want to share it with 2 buddies unless it was warm enough to not need the stove... or hopefully one buddy doesn't mind being set up across the tent from the stove.

hh76 - how long does setup take with your go tent? I can get a 10x12 wall tent and stove for about the same price as the go tent without a stove, but at the penalty of twice the weight and likely longer setup. I’m a weekend warrior more often than setting up a weeklong camp so I’m thinking the go tent would still be a little better option for me, especially since I’m usually by myself.

In your case I think I'd grab a Kodiak. Setup time is ~5 minutes.