Davis Go Tent Vs Kodiak Canvas Deluxe - Opinions Needed

Howdy y’all, hoping for any opinions on choosing the Davis Go Tent vs Kodiak Canvas Deluxe; ignoring price difference as I know the Kodiak is cheaper but don’t mind buying more expensive either. I will almost always be hunting solo or maybe have one more person joining for the foreseeable future so don’t need a bigger tent than either of those. I’ve never stayed in a wall tent so hoping y’all could provide an educated opinion on the two options.

The Deluxe seems to beat the Go Tent on paper being 6.5ft tall across the top and 4 feet longer at 10x14ft compared to the 10x10 Go Tent. My big concern with the Go Tent is the side walls being 3ft tall so no standing room. Also easier to set up solo. The only issue I see is that one is made in China vs Colorado and the Deluxe would need to have a stove jack added.

Anything I’m missing from those who would know? Is the Davis just significantly better quality, or any other thing it has an advantage on?

Thanks y’all!

OP
Fever Buck
Gonna try to bump this as I actually snagged a coupon for the Kodiak that expires this Friday. Any opinions on the two tents above?

209hunter

Lil-Rokslider
I have the Kodiak 12x12 lodge tent and it’s awesome. Really a quality piece of equipment. I would choose the Kodiak and you might look into the 10x10 lodge tent, it comes with a stove jack installed already.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have no experience with the Go tent, but I have a regular Davis wall tent that's been great.

With that said, I also own a Kodiak Flex-Bow that has also been great. Super easy setup(seriously 10 minutes or less). I added a stove jack without much fuss.

The flex bow in this case would probably get the nod and that's coming from a guy that likes to support American made stuff when possible. You're gonna have more standing room in the flexbow.

manitou1

WKR
Ditto on the lodge tent. I great tent.

Check out "Competitive Edge Products" for good prices and great service.

OP
Fever Buck
Thanks y’all. Anyone have recommendations on who can sew in a stove jack for the Kodiak?

Westernduck

Lil-Rokslider
I have the 10x14 flex bow and like it a lot. It has a ton of room and being able to stand up is a great. The only downside is the weight.

No experience with the Davis

No experience with the Go tent, but I camp a lot solo with bird dogs in my Kodiak 10x14. 10x14 is bigger than necessary for that and I have a 10x10 that I run solo with the dogs as well.

Running solo, the slanted walls on the Kodiak is no factor and I enjoy all the headspace I have where ever I am in the tent. With 2 or more people, I’d start preferring the straight walls of the Go.

I also am a huge fan of simple set up. Often times I get to bird camp at night, sometimes late. The last thing I want is to spend time on a long or more complicated set up with tie outs, etc. I can set my Kodiak’s up in 10-15 minutes solo. That’s from getting it out of my truck to when I’m loading gear in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11boo

WKR
Thanks y’all. Anyone have recommendations on who can sew in a stove jack for the Kodiak?

Anyone who does canvas work near you.

I added a stove jack to my canvas tent myself. Also have a friend who has a flex bow who added one. His is pretty slick, no sewing or glue. I used fabric glue on mine and two seasons later still holding tight.

Look on Amazon, hot tent stove jack. The silicone bolt in is what a friend used.

IMG_8402.jpeg

I also added mine in myself. I opted for a combination of glue and stitching via an awl. It took about 30 minutes all said, and then I left it up overnight to cure the glue.

I’ve had both. Hands down Kodiak if you don’t need a stovejack. Cheaper than a Go Tent, additional headspace, easier to set up, and less weight than an internal frame set up. Also, Go Tent with internal frame is max height of 6’3.

Palace for 1 and spacious for two and gear. Bottom picture is my 10x10 Kodiak under 24” of snow. Comfortable with a buddy heater running. IMG_3809.jpeg

Last edited:
I’ve had both. Hands down Kodiak if you don’t need a stovejack. Cheaper than a Go Tent, additional headspace, easier to set up, and less weight than an internal frame set up.

Palace for 1 and spacious for two and gear. Bottom picture is my 10x10 Kodiak under 24” of snow. Comfortable with a buddy heater running. View attachment 632007
That's a 10x10 flexbow? I'd be worried about suffocating with that thing entirely covered in snow! LOL

Correct. 24” of snow accumulated while we were out hunting. Always clear the roof, crack the window and run a CO defector while running the Buddy heater.

McFarmer

FNG
I will caveat and say that I own several Davis tents and love them. However, I have tried a friends Go Tent previously and the ridge height killed it for me (I'm 6"2). The Kodiak 12x12 is also a nice tent but the deal breaker for me their was the lack of available rain fly. Between snow, rain, UV rays and hot embers from the stove, the lack of an available sacrificial rain fly is a deal breaker.

Another option to consider is a smaller Davis wall tent with traditional pole set up. When I am out solo, I run a 10x12 Davis and the traditional pole is easier for one person and is a palace. I also opted for a sewn in floor on this one as to seal things up a bit when using outside of the Rocky Mountain region