Davis Wall Tent... Help me get it right the first time.

My wife and I are strongly considering purchasing a Davis 14x16 wall tent (Elk package) with either their medium or large stove. Wall tents are new to us, so we want to get it right on our first purchase. I have only heard great things about the company, so no hesitation going with them or their products. However, I would like some thoughts on this package as it relate to my needs? On sale, it is at the top end of our budget, so we're trying to spend it wisely without upgrading where it isn't necessary. We certainly don't want to look back either and wish we had done something different or added another feature.

So, here are the options we are considering now are:

Elk Package
  • 14x16 wall tent
  • 3/4 floor
  • 12 Piece Angle kit for internal frame (I'll buy and cut my own 1" EMT.)
  • Davis add-ons we think we want
    • Fire treatment
    • 2 extra windows (1 each side)
    • Deluxe Tent Bag
    • Sleep More Max Stove Baffle
    • Large (Peak) Stove Upgrade
    • 14x16 Poly Rain Fly
    • Couplers so that the 1" EMT rafters pack small enough to fit in a short pickup bed.
Primary use will be:
  • Western Hunting Base Camp 5-7 days each year
    • 7-10k feet elevation, warm to freezing cold
  • Family Summer Camping Tent 3-5 days each year (Potentially hot weather)
    • Right now we don't have kids, but that could look different 2+ years down the road. We decided to size up to the 14x16, since we expect our family to grow in the future.
My wife is tough, but cold natured. Her comfort is my main concern. Would love to hear thoughts on the upgrades I'm considering, or those I should look at.

sndmn11

WKR
I worked there for about ten years until last April. I would never get a fire treated tent and save myself the $200ish. I also would never get a rainfly unless it were set up for several months continuously. I would get a full floor with a zipper cut out rather than the 3/4.

OP
A
I worked there for about ten years until last April. I would never get a fire treated tent and save myself the $200ish. I also would never get a rainfly unless it were set up for several months continuously. I would get a full floor with a zipper cut out rather than the 3/4.
Thanks for the reply. Mind explaining why the fire treatment isn't worth it to you? I was thinking it would offer a little piece of mind from embers falling on the tent, or leaving camp in the morning with glowing coals in closed off stove.

I go back and forth on the fly. The main benefit I see is that its a sacrificial part that's easier to replace if embers burn holes in it. I don't expect much rain while I'm in the tent, but who knows.

sneaky

"DADDY"
That fire treatment stinks, and it really won't save your tent from ember holes. I've never even considered a floor in a wall tent. My 16x20 Davis doesn't have one, and I have no desire for a floor. Increases weight, sweeping it out and keeping it clean, bulky. Why not just cut some indoor outdoor carpeting that you can roll and store separately?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

KG406

FNG
I have a handfull of wall tents and spend more weekends than not in them.... I agree with sneaky on the floor. I have had both and actually cut the floor out of one. They are so much easier to deal with when just using a tarp or carpet as a floor.
I have started trying to use a fly more just to protect the roof from burn holes. They also really help snow buildup slide off. But you can always just use a cheap tarp and cut a hole in it for the stove pipe instead of buying the fly.
I also wouldn't go with fire treatment. I think size and everything else you mentioned is on the right track.

sndmn11

WKR
Thanks for the reply. Mind explaining why the fire treatment isn't worth it to you? I was thinking it would offer a little piece of mind from embers falling on the tent, or leaving camp in the morning with glowing coals in closed off stove.

I go back and forth on the fly. The main benefit I see is that its a sacrificial part that's easier to replace if embers burn holes in it. I don't expect much rain while I'm in the tent, but who knows.

To clarify for @sneaky and @KG406 I am speaking about a loose floor, not a sewn in. You are both correct, a sewn in floor is a disaster.

The fire retardancy chemicals damage the canvas decreasing strength and longevity. It also makes the tent slightly heavier and slightly stiffer for folding. Most lots the fire retardancy is a noticeable powder that puffs off the fabric if you whack it, gets on you and your clothes when folding, etc.

Spark holes should be very rare, and they generally don't cause any structural or leaking issues.

Use the tent for a few seasons without a fly, and then decide if you need one.

OP
A
Glad to hear those things on the fire treatment. We may pass on that option considering what you all said about it.

The Elk package comes with the 3/4 floor (not sewn in). I see the pros/cons of each floor style, but right now I think my wife and I will like the 3/4 floor.

So, if I don't order a fly. How waterproof will the tent be if there's a good down pour? Will water soak through the canvas everywhere the frame touches? Will the heat loss be significant without a fly?

sneaky

"DADDY"
Glad to hear those things on the fire treatment. We may pass on that option considering what you all said about it.

The Elk package comes with the 3/4 floor (not sewn in). I see the pros/cons of each floor style, but right now I think my wife and I will like the 3/4 floor.

So, if I don't order a fly. How waterproof will the tent be if there's a good down pour? Will water soak through the canvas everywhere the frame touches? Will the heat loss be significant without a fly?
On any canvas tent you need to set it up when you get it and soak it down with a water hose. That gets the thread in the stitches wet and it expands and seals the stitch holes from sewing. After that you're good to go. I learned that the hard way the first time I used it. On the plus side, it eliminated a whiny little punk from our hunting group who couldn't deal with no floor and a little drip til the seams worked themselves out.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I suppose if you are REALLY concerned with water proofness you could buy that super expensive waterproof treatment or throw a tarp over the top.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I can't even sleep in a tent with the fire treatment because of how bad it smells. As for a floor, I overlap two 12x16 tarps from Costco......they come in a 2-pack. Easy to sweep it up when you want and still keeps everything clean. I always want the tarps for laying the tent out to set it up, and for taking it down as well.......keeps the tent clean.

I've had this current 14x16 Davis tent for almost 14 years now and never use a rain fly. It still keeps all the water out. This last year it snowed about 6" on the tent and I just smacked it all off from inside the tent. But if I was expecting real heavy deep snow, I'd probably put the fly on it, just so it can slide off easily. You can use a regular tarp for that too.

Laramie

WKR
No floor, one window max, no fire treatment, rain/snow is not an issue. Do as instructed above- set tent up, get it soaked, let it dry= years of problem free use. If you are going when snow is forecast, a cheap tarp will help keep it from building up. Snow doesn't slide well on canvas. I have used a Davis tent for years and love them but the money addons in general aren't worth it. I DO recommend getting the extension so you can make the covered porch. Basically you are just buying a couple extra pieces in your angle kit. Then you use your own tarp to make a covered porch. This makes for a nice entry area so you aren't tracking in quite as much mud or snow and it gives you a place to store stuff in the shade without taking up floor space in the tent. I would also look at aftermarket stoves and consider using a large bin to store the tent instead of the bag - just my personal preference.

Tick

WKR
Good advice above. Skip the fire retardant and floor. You can pick up a cheap tarp for a floor later on. I do use the fly because it is too easy to add while putting the tent up. Cheap insurance against embers and sticky pine sap.

Davis is great about answering customers questions and giving honest recommendations.

I don't have a Davis but have several different size wall tents for different applications. A tarp for the floor is good enough for me. Like stated above, it's easy to shake out and gives you a place to set things as you start tearing down. I like to have a regular tarp with a chimney hole cut out for the roof. That tarp also extends out the front 10 feet for a front porch. 14x16 is a good size, even for only 2 people. It gives you room to set up a table and room to move around in. If you are running a damper on your stove, make sure to clean your chimney every few days. I generally break a limb off of a pine tree and run it through the pipes as a chimney brush. I've had varying degrees of success with any kind of spark arrestors.

KineKilla

WKR
Full floor! If you're concerned about dirt, get a folding broom and/or lay a "walk off" mat down inside the door. I actually screwed a welcome mat to a board and we set that outside thw door. You will not possibly track more dirt in than not having 25% of the floor. Plus it's very easy for mice, spiders, snakes and other critters to get in when there's no floor.

Our tent has lots of windows but we spend very little time in the tent during the day so they are fairly pointless.

Screen doors are great to have and provide plenty of ventilation.

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
Full floor! If you're concerned about dirt, get a folding broom and/or lay a "walk off" mat down inside the door. I actually screwed a welcome mat to a board and we set that outside thw door. You will not possibly track more dirt in than not having 25% of the floor. Plus it's very easy for mice, spiders, snakes and other critters to get in when there's no floor.

Our tent has lots of windows but we spend very little time in the tent during the day so they are fairly pointless.

Screen doors are great to have and provide plenty of ventilation.

I think you missed the post where he said it's not going to be a sewn in floor. If critters want in, they're coming in regardless.

I have the Davis 14X16 (8 years now). One happy camper!!!!
Yes to the 2 side windows (I added one on the back wall instead of a second door/great ventilation in warmer weather). Yes to the large stove (I have the water tank and 2 side warmers), baffle and rain fly ... I had them add 10' to my rainfly so I now have a 10' porch (love this for cooking, firewood, quad parking, etc/26' of tent length). I cut my own EMT as well -easy and works beautifully. I have the full floor with the zip-out stove piece - wouldn't change this at all. Save yourself on the fire treatment-not needed.
Hell of a set-up that will last a lifetime if you do your part. I use mine 30-40 nights a year (spring bear, fall elk, moose & muley base camp)

Attachments

• IMG_6977.jpg
    IMG_6977.jpg
    346.1 KB · Views: 190
The awning/porch is awesome. If your going to get a rain fly spring for the porch! It’s epic. One thing about the fly, snow imo comes off the tent much easier, and I think heat retention is better.

I would also do the Colorado door. The funny thing about the Colorado door, I thought it was kind of a dumb, waste of money. Then I got a tent with one and wow. Regardless of your situation you’re in and out of your tent a bunch, and the heat retention of the door always being “closed” even when the door is unzipped is awesome. A screen is also nice.

My favorite floor option is a roll of outdoor carpet! Get it at Home Depot or Lowe’s, etc. just make sure you cut out a big square for the stove, ask me how I know.

KineKilla

WKR
I think you missed the post where he said it's not going to be a sewn in floor. If critters want in, they're coming in regardless.

I think you're right. If you aren't going sewn in just use tarps or a large piece of canvas for the floor.

If it has sod cloth, burying the perimeter will help with the critters.

why not a 12x14? just curious we have a 12x14 different brand that I will be getting rid of and getting a Davis but we have slept 3 really comfy with a table in the center and have slept 4 no table and had room to sit by the fire.