Davis Wall Tent... Help me get it right the first time.

NABG Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
We received ours right on time. We cut all the conduit, then marked all the pieces and connections with corresponding tape in three different colors, and put it up the first time in exactly 20 minutes. We also set up the wood stove for the first burn in the driveway. It’s a great tent! We can’t wait to take it to CO this fall.

Attachments

• 7A831BC1-DCBF-41C0-9CBC-63C4B41D958C.jpeg
    7A831BC1-DCBF-41C0-9CBC-63C4B41D958C.jpeg
    429.3 KB · Views: 115

Seeknelk

WKR
I see the OP ordered his tent already. But for others I'll just post that side windows and a back window(or even a backdoor) would be awesome for getting a breeze thru when family camping in the summer. You'd think a breeze would bend a few degrees to come in the back window and down to a guys cot😄..but it just doesn't. When it's 90 out on a June fishin trip, one starts to wish for more windows.
I will say it's totally waterproof without the fly, only issues I've had is when we got plenty on snow that melted and froze to the roof and sides where it dripped off. Made it a real pain to pack up and dry out. So I need to get a fly for snowy weather here in MT. Otherwise a fly is not at all needed, just more work and money. Love my time in the wall tent!

sneaky

"DADDY"
I have 3 windows in my 16x20

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

CJinGA

FNG
Just wanted to add on here. We ordered the 14x16 Elk package this summer and it arrived a couple weeks ago. Got the conduit cut and we put it up for the first time this past weekend. It was 15 minutes from opening the bag to having the tent up plus another 10 minutes or so to get the stakes in and secured. This was our first time putting any wall tent up, so we were very happy with how well everything fit together and how easy it was to get put up. It was exactly 30 minutes to take it down and get everything packed away.

We do have 3 windows + screen door and it was noticeable how much cooler it was inside the tent compared to outside. It will be useful for family trips locally here in GA, but we're really looking forward to putting it to use in MT in Nov on our first elk hunt!

JoeBird

FNG
Thanks for this thread - used it to help iron out our next selection. Currently, I’ve got an old 10x12 Montana Canvas with a homemade external 2x4 frame, and I’ve wanted to upgrade to something larger with an internal frame for years.

We had a Korean War era GP Small for a couple of years, but it was so dark in there that you had to constantly run a lantern. Plus, the zippers were busted and at ~70 years old, it had seen better days.

Just ordered a 14x16 Davis Tent - 1 window in back, Colorado door, full loose floor w zip out section, angles for tent and awning, no rainfly (we’ll try a tarp), no new stove. Lead time 8-10 weeks. Hope to have it in plenty of time for an annual camping trip in January

I’ve got a stove I made out of a steel barrel and a Rural King kit about 10 years ago that’s still doing alright. I really liked the nesting stovepipe from Davis, so I ordered that and a converter so I can use the new 5” pipe on my old stove that I typically use 6” pipe on.

771BEB2D-8FDB-4C3F-858A-C154CF377E31.jpeg

557F0D21-6DDC-4144-BA1D-E37A503F58B6.jpeg

Reactions: LWC
Thanks for this thread - used it to help iron out our next selection. Currently, I’ve got an old 10x12 Montana Canvas with a homemade external 2x4 frame, and I’ve wanted to upgrade to something larger with an internal frame for years.

We had a Korean War era GP Small for a couple of years, but it was so dark in there that you had to constantly run a lantern. Plus, the zippers were busted and at ~70 years old, it had seen better days.

Just ordered a 14x16 Davis Tent - 1 window in back, Colorado door, full loose floor w zip out section, angles for tent and awning, no rainfly (we’ll try a tarp), no new stove. Lead time 8-10 weeks. Hope to have it in plenty of time for an annual camping trip in January

I’ve got a stove I made out of a steel barrel and a Rural King kit about 10 years ago that’s still doing alright. I really liked the nesting stovepipe from Davis, so I ordered that and a converter so I can use the new 5” pipe on my old stove that I typically use 6” pipe on.

View attachment 331960

View attachment 331959
Those old military tents are great for sleeping in, they are as dark as can be! I’ve got an Elk Mtn tent that is Snow White. My wife hates that thing, it’s so bright,she swears it’s daylight in there 24/7.

OP
A
Had an unsuccessful 1st rifle bull elk hunt in CO, but thought I’d post pictures of our Davis tent. We stayed as warm and comfortable as one can be in the NF. This thing really was amazing so long as you have dry wood to burn. We were at 10k feet and our propane stove and heater would not work. The one thing we learned is even a half inch of snow on the ground will turn the inside of the tent into a mud pit. Get as much out as you can. F1774041-6C02-48F2-A61E-2DB5956F893F.jpeg315C2752-EEC9-4A74-8D19-6154A09CE846.jpeg

NABG Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Had an unsuccessful 1st rifle bull elk hunt in CO, but thought I’d post pictures of our Davis tent. We stayed as warm and comfortable as one can be in the NF. This thing really was amazing so long as you have dry wood to burn. We were at 10k feet and our propane stove and heater would not work. The one thing we learned is even a half inch of snow on the ground will turn the inside of the tent into a mud pit. Get as much out as you can. View attachment 340256View attachment 340257

Your tent looks...BEAUTIFUL!!! Thanx for sharing. We leave tomorrow with our Davis Tent for it's maiden hunting voyage. Can't wait!

parshal

WKR
I used mine a lounge area in the first season. We brought a little Chalet camper to sleep in and the Go-Tent was for the rest. It was perfect.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
The one thing we learned is even a half inch of snow on the ground will turn the inside of the tent into a mud pit. Get as much out as you can.
Throw a tarp down, all that snow and mud stays underneath it.

Odd that your stove and heater wouldn't work. I've used both above 10k feet many times.

LWC

FNG
Had an unsuccessful 1st rifle bull elk hunt in CO, but thought I’d post pictures of our Davis tent. We stayed as warm and comfortable as one can be in the NF. This thing really was amazing so long as you have dry wood to burn. We were at 10k feet and our propane stove and heater would not work. The one thing we learned is even a half inch of snow on the ground will turn the inside of the tent into a mud pit. Get as much out as you can. View attachment 340256View attachment 340257
Get a cheap tarp for a floor Much, much better. No dust and like 5MB said, it keeps the snow and mud under the tarp. We have pretty much the same setup as you. We did buy extra angles and always set ours up with a tarp that covers the tent and a 10ft awning for cooking and storing junk under.

I bought a new Mr. Heater propane heater and was worried about it not working at high elevation. We use it for getting dressed in the morning or to knock off the chill when not building a fire. Instructions said it may not work over 4500 ft. Camped at 11,400 and that thing never missed a beat. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DPZ59U2?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details

Another thing that will change your life. Torch like this for starting fires in the stove. Thank me later lol.

Just wanted to add on here. We ordered the 14x16 Elk package this summer and it arrived a couple weeks ago. Got the conduit cut and we put it up for the first time this past weekend. It was 15 minutes from opening the bag to having the tent up plus another 10 minutes or so to get the stakes in and secured. This was our first time putting any wall tent up, so we were very happy with how well everything fit together and how easy it was to get put up. It was exactly 30 minutes to take it down and get everything packed away.

We do have 3 windows + screen door and it was noticeable how much cooler it was inside the tent compared to outside. It will be useful for family trips locally here in GA, but we're really looking forward to putting it to use in MT in Nov on our first elk hunt!

How many people helped to put it up that fast? How long to put up and down solo?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I worked there for about ten years until last April. I would never get a fire treated tent and save myself the $200ish. I also would never get a rainfly unless it were set up for several months continuously. I would get a full floor with a zipper cut out rather than the 3/4.
Agree 100% also do you really need the 14x16? I have a 12x14 another brand I am selling to get a davis later. Our 12x14 is money for 3 people two its a mansion.

JBrown1

Lil-Rokslider
For those asking about size: my family hunting group ordered a 14x16 from Davis and it was very roomy for 4 adult hunters. I once pitched that tent, and then took it down by myself. It was a big job for one person.

I purchased a 10x12 from Davis. This is the tent that I use for my daughter(12 yo) and I. It is very roomy for the two of us. I think that it would be tight for three adults with a stove and gear.

Both of the tents that I ordered from Davis have doors on both ends. I really like having the option to open the doors to air things out. Neither of my tents have any windows, and they are unnecessary in my opinion. The light colored canvas allows more than enough light in.

I agree with those who said that a tarp or carpet makes a decent floor. I would never go with a sewn in floor.

I like Davis's traditional pole frame, instead of an internal frame. The pole(s) in the middle of the floor don't bother me at all.

If you speak to the owner at Davis, he will tell you that the fire proofing is unnecessary and is only used so that they can sell tents to people who live in states like California that require it.

Davis is a family run company and they are one of the best companies that I have ever dealt with. They always take care of their customers. My extended family owns five of their tents and we wouldn't buy from anyone else. An example of their customer support: I was with my uncle at the SLC Sportsman's show and we stopped by the Davis booth to buy a repair kit(one of our tents had a tear that was our fault). The owner's son told us that we didn't need to buy the repair kit. He explained how to fix the tent and gave us the materials for free. He literally turned down a sale to give us what we needed FOR FREE. I still can't believe how well they have treated us over the years.

One last note: there is nothing that makes it easier to get up on a 15 degree morning at 10,000 feet, than a warm fire in the woodstove.

Last edited:

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Agree 100% also do you really need the 14x16?
IMO the 14x16 is perfect for two people. I'll have a cot on each side on the back end of the tent, a storage bin next to each cot as bedside tables, propane tank-top heater between those and under the back window, a 6-foot table under the stove jack, and room on the other side for storage and to put our camp chairs for the night. We had three in the tent this year......and it was suddenly cramped and no room for the 3 chairs now. If I use the wood stove, then the table has to go on the other side and then there's no room at all for a 3rd person. We like our space. In most years, I use my 14x16 solo most of the archery season. I use the traditional pole setup, and it's very easy to put up and take down solo. It takes more time to hammer the stakes than set up the tent.

Assuming I have a 14x16 and I'm summer camping with wife and 2 kids, what pole system is the easiest/fastest to put up and take down by myself? Internal vs traditional?

I'm imagining we get to the site and the afternoon wind and high country rain are coming down. My wife is getting frustrated and the kids are running around tripping over everything.

Internal vs traditional for solo under pressure?