Day at the Range - Reloading Help

AZ Vince

WKR
AZ Vince
I would not recommend dropping to a lighter projectile with worse BC if he is looking at ranges of 500-1000yards. Too much wind deflection.

While I am inclined to agree with you, if he desires to use IMR 4350, he most likely will have to go to a lighter bullet.
I never suggested a lighter bullet, just made him aware of his options. What he does is up to him.

Vince

Broz

WKR
Depending on brass volume and seating depth you might rum out of room with Retumbo. If that is the case you will not achieve the velocity with it that you will with H-1000. H-1000 is usually running pretty close to a full case in the 300 win. I have never tried retumbo as I too have had it spike on me and didn't care for that. These are the reasons I didn't recommend it. I have always felt H-1000 was a perfect fit for the 300 win with upper end bullets.

Jeff

OP
G

gelton

WKR
The bergers are proving just as hard to find as the H-1000. Weeks away from the range waiting on reloading supplies is not what I foresaw in my future when I started this post. I guess I will give it a couple 3-5 days and see if anything shows up. Was able to find 230's but no 215's.

Also - I am using Nosler brass, which is rumored to be Norma.

Last edited:

Broz

WKR

Shrek

WKR
I haven't had pressure swing with Retumbo yet....but I have had pretty big swings lot to lot. I built a load with one lot and had absolutely no pressure signs and the next lot flattened the primer and had hard bolt lift. I backed it off three tenths of a grain and it was still just barely safe but the rifle liked it and I had to go hunting. If using Retumbo buy a bunch at once of the same lot.

Broz

WKR
:) already checked...they are sold out!

Yep and if you read the thread you may have seen a few days later they got more in. Just giving you the heads up they are showing up and were there 4 days ago. But hey, maybe you should just shoot the Accubonds.

Broz

WKR
I haven't had pressure swing with Retumbo yet....but I have had pretty big swings lot to lot. I built a load with one lot and had absolutely no pressure signs and the next lot flattened the primer and had hard bolt lift. I backed it off three tenths of a grain and it was still just barely safe but the rifle liked it and I had to go hunting. If using Retumbo buy a bunch at once of the same lot.

To be clear I never has pressure swings as far as velocity is concerned with Retumbo. I did see the same load and same lot be fine one day and hard bolt lift another especially in a hot chamber and large case like a 30-378.

I agree about large lots. That goes for any powder. That is, if you want to get serious about long range and want your drops to work without adjustment every pound.
Jeff

Hawkeye

FNG
I think you will run out of barrel with Retumbo. It is too slow of a powder for that cartridge. I run it in a RUM and Big Weatherby and had good luck with it. Tried it in my 300 WM and got a big flash at the end.

If you want to tune your accuracy, stop using COAL and use distance off the lands. I use a Hornady Bullet comparator and measure each bullet from the base of the bullet to the Ogive. I find as much as .004-.006 in variation from bullet to bullet within the same box. Pulling bullets from separate boxes, it varies even more. Measure from the base of the bullet to the Ogive for fine tuning your accuracy.

I am consistently shooting 1/2 moa with my Tikka 300 WM using 76 grains of RL 22 and a 175 Berger.

Here is a good video that describes the bullet comparator.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M92w4YoxbEM

OP
G

gelton

WKR
Your the man. Preciate that, have 300 215 gn Bergers on the way from pa hunting supply.

Will try Woodbury tomorrow.

Let me know if they say they don't have any H-1000. I had them send 6-1# containers to the store near me. I bought 3#'s and left 3#'s on the shelf. If they say they don't have any, let me know and I'll stop by the local store and see if they still have any left.

I think you will run out of barrel with Retumbo. It is too slow of a powder for that cartridge. I run it in a RUM and Big Weatherby and had good luck with it. Tried it in my 300 WM and got a big flash at the end.

If you want to tune your accuracy, stop using COAL and use distance off the lands. I use a Hornady Bullet comparator and measure each bullet from the base of the bullet to the Ogive. I find as much as .004-.006 in variation from bullet to bullet within the same box. Pulling bullets from separate boxes, it varies even more. Measure from the base of the bullet to the Ogive for fine tuning your accuracy.

I am consistently shooting 1/2 moa with my Tikka 300 WM using 76 grains of RL 22 and a 175 Berger.

Here is a good video that describes the bullet comparator.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M92w4YoxbEM

Make sure if you go through the trouble to measure the bullets, that you measure the bearing surface of the bullet. You will need two comparators for that. I have randomly checked Berger and AMAX bullets for bearing surface inconsistency and even shot some that varied the most (which wasn't much), and decided not to mess with it anymore.

You are definitely spinning your wheels if you don't measure seating depth as you describe, though! Meplats can be nasty and very inconsistent...