Day Hunt gear weight

mcseal2

WKR
After all the seasons end I usually go through a list of what I used most on my hunts to see where to drop weight. I hunt rifle during later seasons for the most part and take a lot of stuff it seems like. I seem to keep taking most of it on colder hunts and using it. I end up around 40lbs with everything I take except the clothing layers I wear hiking in added together, not just whats in my pack. This list is for leaving well before daylight and being back well after dark, not for close to the truck stuff.

I am curious what others pack and if you are way lighter than my list. I pack a lot of weight in optics for one thing. I don't always take them all but do if I think it's to my advantage.

Weights are in pound next to the item.

Exo 3500 5.2
Kowa 554 spotter w/ case 2.1
Promaster tripod, pan head, Leica adapter, rifle rest 3.25
Swaro 15x binos, adapter 2.9
Rifles Inc 300 win mag, sling, scope, loaded 8.25
I phone w/ Onx maps.4
FHF bino harness & Leica Geovid 10x42HD-B binos w/ usual kit 3.25
Dark Energy battery pack & cords .8
Blaze orange turtle fur ear warmer (orange that fits over hood) .1
Kuiu Peloton 200 glove .1
Kuiu Superdown glassing mittens .3
Kuiu Superdown Pro pants 1
Kuiu Superdown Pro jacket 1 (used a Kifaru LPP this year but plan to have one next season for drier hunts)
Sitka Cloudburst rain jacket 1.4
Kuiu NXS rain pant.5
Black Diamond ReVolt head lamp (22hr high, 160hr low) .25
wind meter & MOA wind chart for 300WM 180AB 2956fps .2
Bark River clip point hunter .5
ammo 10rd (pack) .8
ammo 2rd (pocket) .1
Fire/Med/Emergency kit 1.1
Beretta sunglass case to protect sunglasses .2
Steripen Ultra .5
Water 32oz Nalgene & 16oz Nalgene 3.7
Food 1.25
3 6ft rolls, cut down shop towels in ziplock, Coleman camp soap sheets .02
Tag Bags 24x44 set. (take 4 bags) 1
Mini Bic in pants pocket .02

Breakdown of main weight categories
Optics 11.5lbs
Gun/ammo/wind meter 9.35
Electronics/Navigation 1.45
Clothing 4.6
Knife .5
Emergency/med/fire 1.1
Water 4.2
Pack 5.2

Areas I know I could drop weight:
-Losing the 15x binos, but I seem to find game with them well enough I haven't.
-Taking less of a knife, I just like having a fairly stout fixed blade
-I love my Promaster and use the removable leg as a trekking pole at times, but I'm going to try a KDC tripod
-smaller battery pack, I use it for the headlamp, Steripen, and I phone so I haven't yet
-less water or lighter containers

With this kit I know I can spend a night out if needed and have enough food to start the next day. If I spot something late and want to spend the night I have the option as long as the weather isn't to bad. I sometimes add a Kifaru sheep or paratarp to the list if I think that's somewhat likely.

Thanks everyone.

Idahomnts

Lil-Rokslider
imo Charge everything night before forget the battery pack cords, depending on water intake maybe drop the steripen for 1 tablet of iodine to resupply both bottles assuming you do drink it all, or a light stainless cup to melt snow , maybe 5 +2 bullets instead of 10+2 , silk sock for glasses and put them some where safe from gettin crushed , 2 pairs of binos and spotter , I’d drop a pair , also as u said about the knife , havalons are scary sharp and weigh nothin , but I hear ya on the fixed blade ,

Sounds like you nailed it already lol
Just train with 45 and you’ll feel like you forgot somethin the whole time .... looks good to me

tttoadman

WKR
After all the seasons end I usually go through a list of what I used most on my hunts to see where to drop weight. I hunt rifle during later seasons for the most part and take a lot of stuff it seems like. I seem to keep taking most of it on colder hunts and using it. I end up around 40lbs with everything I take except the clothing layers I wear hiking in added together, not just whats in my pack. This list is for leaving well before daylight and being back well after dark, not for close to the truck stuff.

I am curious what others pack and if you are way lighter than my list. I pack a lot of weight in optics for one thing. I don't always take them all but do if I think it's to my advantage.

Exo 3500 5.2
I phone w/ Onx maps.4
Kuiu Superdown Pro jacket 1 (used a Kifaru LPP this year but plan to have one next season for drier hunts)
Kuiu NXS rain pant.5
ammo 10rd (pack) .8
ammo 2rd (pocket) .1
Steripen Ultra .5
Food 1.25

Optics 11.5lbs
Gun/ammo/wind meter 9.35
Clothing 4.6
Knife .5
Emergency/med/fire 1.1
Water 4.2
Pack 5.2

-I love my Promaster and use the removable leg as a trekking pole at times, but I'm going to try a KDC tripod
-smaller battery pack, I use it for the headlamp, Steripen, and I phone so I haven't yet

With this kit I know I can spend a night out if needed and have enough food to start the next day. If I spot something late and want to spend the night I have the option as long as the weather isn't to bad. I sometimes add a Kifaru sheep or paratarp to the list if I think that's somewhat likely.

Thanks everyone.
I am sure I am quite a bit lighter than this, but I also don't pack a spotter.
This is what i see.
1. Rifle rest on tripod: I turn the handle on my pan head up and I can put the rifle in the "V".
2. I got rid of the sling on my rifle years ago, and have no regrets.
3. I don't see a tarp shelter?

I think you just carry a lot of optics. That adds up. If that is what it takes where you hunt, then keep doing it.

OP
mcseal2

mcseal2

WKR
Thanks for the replies. I didn't add the tarp shelter because I don't always pack it. I take a Kifaru tarp when conditions make it a good idea. A lot of the time really.

The rifle rest I pack has 2 points of contact with the rifle. I can shoot further than I can with a single point of contact with the rifle, it's just steadier for me. I might have cut out all I'm willing to for me, it just seemed so heavy.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Just send me those 15s and you won't have to carry them anymore lol

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

LaHunter

WKR

Exo 3500 5.2
I phone w/ Onx maps.4
Kuiu NXS rain pant.5
ammo 10rd (pack) .8
ammo 2rd (pocket) .1
Steripen Ultra .5
Food 1.25

Optics 11.5lbs
Gun/ammo/wind meter 9.35
Clothing 4.6
Knife .5
Emergency/med/fire 1.1
Water 4.2
Pack 5.2

Thanks everyone.

No trekking poles?

OP
mcseal2

mcseal2

WKR
Trekking poles depends on the terrain. I often use them but sometimes they stay at the truck for meat hauling. The tripod i use has a removable leg that works as a pole too.

LaHunter

WKR
Yep, I run that same tripod, but never tried using the leg as a walking stick. Once I started using the trekking poles, I got hooked and always use them in the mountains.

Nick-D

FNG
Like you I always plan to be able to stay/survive the night. So clothing wise I think you are taking the right stuff.

I would ditch the charger personally. Not needed for day hunts.

12 rounds is what I carry on multi day hunts I only carry 7 on day hunts.

Your optics system is what is really punishing you. How do you use the 3 optic system? Freehand with the 10's tripod scan with the 15's and evaluate trophy with the spotter? Have you trialed just throwing the 10s of the tripod and glassing.? I have no issue picking up animals from miles away with my 10s on a tripod. Ymmv however depending on species.

You could probably shave weight with a new pack and whittle away a pound or 2 by going lighter with knife and survival/first aid as well.

Wrench

WKR
I'd pick the 15's or the spotter and make a quick 3 pounds up. The shop towels and soap can be replaced with baby wipes. Unless you hunt in some god awful winds at long range, I'd learn to gauge the wind and free up the kestrel.

One valuable thing that I carry is a write in the rain note pad and a pencil. I make an inventory list of everything I carry and check off the stuff that doesn't get used. It won't be long before you start shedding gear.

Jsunkler

Lil-Rokslider
Depending on the days hunt I would choose 15's or spotter/10's
Shed a few rounds (looks like 12 extra rounds plus three in the rifle)
Shed one nalgene for a bladder
Drop the rain pants if the weather isn't 100% rain and drop the puffy pants if weather /hunt type allows
Drop the shop towels for dried out wet wipes that you can re-hydrate with your water.
Drop the kestrel
Drop the charger and make sure everything is fully charged prior to the hunt